Friday, January 8, 2010

Speaking in the House

View from the dreaded stand. Don't ever take pictures at church.

It's Friday night. For all of us in Mormondom, there's a chance you might be speaking in church on Sunday. You've known about it for two weeks. You've been thinking about/avoiding your topic for that long. If you are an A-type person, you will have already written your talk and you will be revising it tomorrow. For the rest of us, it's crunch time.

Tomorrow is all about shutting yourself in your office and surfing the internet while trying to force yourself into writing your talk. Make sure you scream at anyone who dares interrupt you. I'm here to help you with my not-foolproof rules for talk writing. I'm not an expert. I've tried this formula exactly once.

  1. The talk will have three major parts. Intro, middle parts, conclusion.
  2. The intro should say what you want to say, the middle should say it, and the conclusion should say what you just said.
  3. Name each part and write a sentence describing it. Check out some written conference talks because they all do this.
  4. Start with a story about yourself doing something universal, like fixing dinner or driving somewhere. Don't finish the story.
  5. Segue the story into the topic of the talk. Good luck, because the segue can make or break it. Think outside the box. In my last talk, the story was about swimming and my talk was about the Holy Ghost, so I compared practicing swimming with practicing listening. Henry Eyring is especially good at this.
  6. Introduce a "catchphrase." This and the stories are the only things people will remember. Make it short and to the point. Feel free to steal the catchphrase from a conference talk with proper credit given.
  7. Define the topic you are discussing in the intro. I like to use Gospel Principles to make sure everybody is on the same page. It is simple and thorough.
  8. Now it is time for the body of the talk. Divide that into three sections. Name each section with a descriptive sentence to break up the paragraphs.
  9. First section should be a scripture story illustrating your point. You can read certain scriptures but tell the story in your own words. Nobody listens to read scriptures. Make sure to refer to your intro topic.
  10. If you have a scripture you want to emphasize, introduce it in the beginning and continue to return to it. It could even be your catchphrase.
  11. The second section should be a current example that you found from a church source, like the Ensign or the conference talk you were assigned. You can use two or three of these examples to flesh your talk out. Again, make sure to refer to your catchphrase or intro topic.
  12. The third section should be about you. This is the part where you start crying if you are a crier. I'm not. It should be about what you do to live this principle and a story to illustrate. If you are a heathen and have no examples, you can use relatives. Everybody has a grandpa.
  13. At the conclusion, tie up the example you started with in the beginning, and then refer to it when reviewing your material.
  14. Bear testimony of topic, of course.

There are a couple of other things. Congregations like it when you refer to them. Assume their intelligence but then explain stuff anyway. Say stuff like, "As I'm sure you already know..." and "I know most of you do this already...". Be as self-deprecating as possible without looking like an idiot.

Never, ever begin your talk by announcing how much you hate speaking. It immediately turns off the congregation. If you don't want to be there, then why should they listen to you? You can confess nervousness, but stay positive.

Now I am going to post this and then think of all of the things I forgot. Apparently I've got a lot to say about it. I'm sure the comments will fill in the blanks. We're all experts, right?

Good luck tomorrow, Jodie. I'm still mad that you moved out of our ward.

23 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Such sage advice. Truly. As I read this I kept becoming more and more impressed with how spot on you are.

So true about the catch phrase thing. Elder Bednar will always make me think, "Tender Mercies" and Ezra Taft Benson will always make me think of missionary work and, "Flood[ing] the earth" with the Book of Mormon. I have never thought about this in terms of a catch phrase but it is really true.

I am always telling myself, "We can do hard things." It is my new favorite catch phrase.

Jeanelle said...

Love this! But I have another never you should have on your list: never ever start your talk by saying "for those of you who don't know me, my name is blah di blah." Um, do you think we didn't hear the bishopric member introduce you just now? Or maybe we didn't happen to get a bulletin with your name printed on it? Teenaged boys are the worst offenders of this rule.

Annemarie said...

Thanks, I have to do this in 3 weeks. I'm already preparing. Not because I am an A-type peson, but because I am absolutely terrified. Ugh.

Lauren and I have the same favorite catch phrase although for some reason I don't relate it to my stinkin' talk one bit.

brooke said...

I love this advice and I would add to never, ever go over. The minute the time runs out, people don't give a darn what you have to say--they just think how inconsiderate you are for going overtime. Be prepared to chop as you go. People should especially stick to the time limit when they are the first speaker--it is so rude to leave the last with 2 minutes.

amen.

Maryann said...

Actually your blog entry would make a good talk....

Thanks for the seminar. Maybe there should be a class taught before people are allowed to speak.
That would be helpful to everyone. Those that are nervous about the process and those that have to listen would be most grateful.

Circe said...

I think you should give this list as a talk in my ward so everyone knows how to do it. My new peeve is how everybody starts their talk with, "The topic I was assigned to talk on is..." SNORE! And please, no more, "Websters defines faith as..."

Linsey said...

As it happens, I am speaking in church on Sunday. It's kind of a mean trick really because I am on vacation and my Dad is making be his "youth (that's debatable) companion" speaker this Sunday. I have a topic/talk but I think I'm going to deviate and just read them this post. :)

10 minutes is a long time when you haven't spoken in church in years and you haven't attended church in your native tongue in almost as long. I don't want to prepare, but I'm worried that 3+ years in Spanish Mormondom will really hinder my ability to speak off the cuff...we'll see.

Jodie said...

Thanks, Celia. The only thing that would be more helpful is for you to write my talk for me...the topic is patience. Otherwise I'll be locked in the office all day tomorrow teaching my kids patience.

Jenibelle said...

How fortuitous! Jeff has to speak in our ward Sunday and of course we all know who is going to be writing the talk....

It's on being cooperative with your parents and avoiding contention in our homes. Oh yeah, I am FOR SURE writing this talk.

Good Time Charlie said...

Great post. Glad to see you are on the mend enough to write. Such a pet peeve of mine when people open the talk with "I hate speaking, I am so nervous, I didn't know anything about this topic", yuk, all cotton for my ears from that point on. If only everyone was as excited about speaking their mind as I was! For the record, I am glad I am not speaking on Sunday. I have spoken enough and think I am out of the rotation for a season (just in case a member of my bishopric is reading this.....)

Ashley said...

What a timely post. Tyler is speaking Sunday and hasn't done anything yet. He usually just tells a bunch of stories that throw me under the bus. Inevitably people end up asking him to send them copies of his talk. Drives me crazy.

He read your post over my shoulder and wants to know if you can just send him your actual talk so he can read it verbatim.

the wrath of khandrea said...

here's my question for you: what about the "unwritten" mormon rules? like the ones that say "no visual aids in sacrament meeting" or "you don't ask the congregation to 'turn with you' when you read a scripture"?

we know that those things are not "allowed", but how do you teach that without seeming self-righteous? it's not in the handbook as far as i know. so it sounds like you're making it up. but COME ON! A GLASS OF ORANGE JUICE HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY AT THE PULPIT??? MAKE IT STOP.

the wrath of khandrea said...

people always have so much to say on your mormon posts. why is that? is mormon-speak all we know?

Lauren in GA said...

Huh, Andrea is right...I remember hearing recently that we shouldn't ask people to turn to the scriptures with us during talks but I have never seen it printed anywhere...I want the rule book...

Jessica said...

Whoa. That was really awesome. Good public speaking is EXTREMELY important to me, and I'm so glad you did this. I should use it for a little FHE sometime with the kids. I can't imagine how much brain effort it took to assemble that.

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to thank you for such a terrific quality site!
Was thinking this would be a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/pirate-party-supplies.html]pirate Party Supplies[/url].

Kristen said...

I really liked this post. I think your advice was spot on and I like the part about having an intro, a middle, and a conclusion - sage advice indeed!

About some of the comments here though, I think part of being a member of a congregation is accepting other's speaking styles, strengths, AND weaknesses. I go along with prefering that people not start their talk with saying, "I was asked to speak on Elder so-and-so's April Conference talk titled such-and-such". But, when people start their talk that way can't we just think, "oh, okay, that's what we are learning about today." instead of, "Ug, you stupid idiot, just speak! Don't preface it with what you are going to speak about!" I might think that in a professional seminar probably, but not at church. Some people are stressed more than I can even imagine to get up there in the first place, I'm not going to criticise them.

Also, I love a brief introduction if the family is new, or has been recently reactivated. Brief, being the key word, but sure, go ahead and take one of your 10 minutes to tell us who you are, where you're from, and how many kids you've got. But don't tell us how you met and how you spouse proposed and what your 7 year old thinks about his new house. But...if you do, I will still listen and appreciate the effort you put into your talk.

And, if you use a visual aid, or ask me to turn in the scriptures with you, I will go with the flow (though I'll probably not turn in my scriptures with you) and continue to try to get from your talk what you are trying to say.

I think it is easy for those of us who have grown up in the church, who have active families, and who are comfortable with the whole idea of speaking in church to do so with our own expectations, but I think we need to extend some courtesy to others, regardless of their familiarity with church, and just appreciate what they offer.

Wow... who knew I had so much to say about that. Sorry :)

Emily said...

I have found it helpful when people introduce themselves. Sometimes they are in a different auxiliary and I don't know them, or they are new in the ward/branch.

Our stake pres. uses visual aids. He is a rebel like that. His talks are AWESOME and the visuals totally get people's attention after beginning to fall asleep after 90 minutes of conference. But maybe you have to earn the right to use visuals by being the Stake Pres. Some visuals can be pretty cool though, depending.

Holding a standard for talks in church is an interesting thing--we are not a corporation (some might disagree) and our job is not to present the most attractive talk, but to share testimony and faith. It is hard to put a grade on that. But I like that the church offers the opportunity to do speak publicly, and occasionally tries to help members of the congregation develop better delivery skills.

I remember one teenage friend's talk opener:
"A talk should be like a swimsuit: long enough to cover all the important parts, but short enough to still be exciting."

Her parents were livid. :)

Krisi and Adam said...

Love this! Thanks so much for posting - was wondering when this would show up here!

AnnieB said...

Um, how fitting that I came upon your blog while avoiding finishing my talk that I have to give TOMORROW in church! What is it with you and your ESP!? Crazy! At least I have 12:30 church now so I can procrastinate a little longer! No, seriously deadline tonight! Anyway, love your wisdom! Exactly what I needed! Wish me luck!

Angela said...

I spoke in church today. First time in ten years. I was too busy during crunch time to read your blog and missed your advice. I am regretting it now because although I said my catchphrase I failed to reiterate it/repeat it enough. "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (whatever) At least I didn't trip. The guy after me used three catchphrases and he didn't fail to say them over and over again. It was a bit overwhelming and I felt a little sorry for him. Well, hopefully they won't ask me to talk again for another ten years, but if they do, I'll refer to you. I've got it printed already.

Mike said...

The classic opener, "when so-and-so in the bishopric called to ask me to speak my heart hit the floor" really drives me bats. It ranks right up there with the countless youth talks I've heard that consist of reading entire stories from the New Era.

angie said...

Celia, this rules! I'm speaking in stake conf and this has helped me.
p.s. you look great!