Kids are used to having their parents talk on the phone, so much so that most babies have their own little play telephones. When a child is about three, he is ready for Phake Phone Phear.
Let's say a child is toilet trained but doesn't like to wash his hands. Remind him often of the reasons why he must wash his hands and if he continues to protest, happily suggest that you are going to call the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (they like it when you use the official name) and tell them that you have a child who won't wash his hands. If this doesn't impress him, then pick up the phone and start dialing a fake number. Have a conversation like this:
Hello, this is Celia Ashcroft, may I speak with the person in charge of disease control? Thank you....... Hi, I have a child who is three years old and he won't wash his hands after he uses the bathroom. Is this okay?...........(pretend to listen) Yes, he is a big boy who wears underpants. Mmmhmmm..........Yes...............Okay. Okay, thank you. Yes, I'll tell him. Thanks for your time. Bye.
Hang up and then tell him in official sounding language that the woman at the CDPC says he must wash his hands blah blah blah. I promise, he'll be impressed and you will deflect some of the conflict away from yourself. Just be careful he doesn't get too OCD with the hand washing.
Some other Phake Phone calls you can make are to
- Primary teacher (Claire won't come for family prayer)
- School teacher (Henry doesn't want to do his 20 minutes of reading)
- Police officer (Bea won't sit in her car seat)
- Doctor (Max won't wash his face)
- Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or any made up fairy you can think of (any offense)
- Grandma (Alice doesn't want her hair done)
- Daddy (doesn't work at our house due to Daddy softness)
- Dentist (Fiona eats too much candy)
- House cleaners (Sol pees on the toilet seat)
The trick is to have a pleasant and realistic conversation with the Phake Phone Person. It doesn't need to be threatening. Save the threatening Phake Phone calls for more serious offenses like
- Jail (boys who steal things)
- Foster care (girls who don't appreciate their mothers and use hateful words)
- Psychologist (boys who hurt each other)
- Satan (girls who lie to their aunties)
You'll find that this technique works for most children of most ages. After a few Phake Phone calls, all you have to do is reach for the phone and the behavior changes. Good luck, and let me know if you call anyone interesting. We parents need to stick together.

44 comments:
I am a blurker and love your blog. I was just laughing my head off with this post. HILARIOUS. I call the doctor and threaten shots for kids who don't eat their dinner. Funny. We all do the same things!!
Hey celia... blurker as well.. but I've used this phake phone calls for some time now.. bishop and the police are my favorite. Then my 2 year old started pretending that my phake phoners were responding to her as well. "the bishop said I could sit on the floor(at church)" "the policeman said I could push the buttons(in the car)..etc." Discipline backfire.
I don't know how I made it through all these years of parenting without this! I can't wait to employ it, I am sure I will have found plenty of uses by breakfast! Brilliant!
I want to know who lied to an auntie and what about... and who needs Satan called.
When they get older you can also phake call older siblings that don't live at home anymore to reinforce things like..."your beautiful sister says it's true that girls will not like boys who only will shower once a week....."
Then text message them quickly to tell them they had better play along if they want this months' $$$$ for their education. Been there...doing this!
That is AWESOME! I will use this "Phake Phone Phear" and I have plenty to use it for!
My son used to say he was going to call CPS. My reply "Good, I need a quiet night in a cell!"
Remember when you paged Nate with the number for the Damnville Police and he called them and asked who called for him. Ha ha.
Thank you for the laugh. This was definitely the best laugh of the day! I too use the phake phone method sometimes, but I need to take it up a notch.
Oooo, this was one of my finest sibling babysitting tricks but I have neglected to use it to its full potential with my own kids.
I used to call the number that gave the correct time (always good to have the kids hear the muffled voice on the other end) & ask to speak to Santa, mom and dad, the police. You have added some excellent possibilities.
I did the same thing Annie did every time I babysat my younger brothers and sisters!
A few times in Primary the "bishop" has called my cell phone and requested the children sing a certain song.
Also, when I was a schoolteacher, Michael Jordan used to call and tell my students to do their spelling worksheets.
Wow, you really brought out the lurkers with this one.
But you forgot the reach for the phone to call Dr. Phil if your husband doesn't buy your flowers for Valentine's Day.
And to answer your question....we were actually wearing our whites already. Although you make a valid argument with the sister missionary clothes. I need to re-evaluate my wardrobe.
I love the phake phone calls! We use them quite often. One of my favorites is the girls principal.
Celia,
As always, your posts are a true public service.
How have I never thought of this?!
I loved ALL of them...I might make a call to the Center of Disease Prevention and Control about my sons problem with peeing up the whole bathroom. I am hoping to srike fear into them since nothing else has worked...
my daily affirmation that you are hilarious.
i haven't used the P3 in years. thanks to your refresher course, i will begin again immediately. sadly, the little people on your list are a mere trifle in our home. i will have to go straight for the big guns- psychologists, foster care and satan. i'm raising a bunch of thugs over here.
I use the phake phone call all the time! Never used Satan though... have to incorportate that one.
Ooh, I forgot about phake phone phear. My parents used to do this all the time - they'd call Mr. Sanders, the trashman, to come and get our toys. Add this to my list of dirty parenting tricks.
I'm afraid one or more of my children would want confirmation on the phone themselves. They think me incapable of such power. I want to try it anyway. My five-year-old ought to at least fear Satan, if nothing else works.
WHERE HAVE I BEEN?! This is genius! I'm so going to use this. My kids think I'm the meanest Mom anyway, so why not give it a try! Thanks for the tip! Hey, I also wanted to know where you got your blog template? Or are you one of those techies that figures out how to create her own? Is it something you can do without losing all your sidebar info? I changed mine and...poof...goodbye sidebar! I'll put it all back eventually!
SO funny.... when I was a little girl my parents would "call" the gypsies to come get me when I was bad. My dad would even go so far as to ring the doorbell, open the door and tell them that they were going to keep me... for now. I am STILL traumatized by it. However, I did call Santa (aka husband or grandpa) who would have a conversation with my 3 year old about being good. I think that it was probably much less traumatic than the gypsies.
Love this post!
This post made me think of another fabulous use of phones that may have fallen from society due to technology: the prank call. That was my favorite childhood pastime. I therefore think I will be very good at making these threat calls.
Toooo funny! I have soo done that before. But we don't need to call Santa or the EB, my husband plays golf with them, so we can talk to them whenever!
I'm afraid that if you have a strong willed child(Madisen) phake phone calls don't work. But they work like a charm with Jaden. :)
I'm afraid that if you have a strong willed child(Madisen) phake phone calls don't work. But they work like a charm with Jaden. :)
This worked really well for our family until Parker (at the age of 4) called the Po Po on us because we put him on time out. Imagine our surprise when 2 uniformed officers showed up at our door on a Saturday morning--and not just any Saturday morning--the morning of our neighborhood's annual garage sale. Just add it to the list of things I swore my kids would never do. :)
Here I thought I was one of the few who invented the Phake Phone Phear - we tend to use it in tandom with "monster who lives in the garage after mom and dad get home, so dont go in there"
We still manage to get our 8 yr old with the Phake Phone call to his teacher "Would you please single out Jackson today in class because he won't do his reading?" or to Nana, my mom "Oh mom, looks like you're going to have to cancel our plane tickets to come visit you because the boys are being really naughty" or to their friends, "Hi Maddie - did you know that Jackson and Blake won't put on clothes and run around in their underwear and now they have Legos all over their floors?"
Oh - you and I together could do some seriously psychological damage. I especially like the phone call to Satan.
I like to call Jesus. That even worked on my highly religious middle school students.
Who are all these blurkers? They're coming out of the woodwork!
I like to call Jesus. That even worked on my highly religious middle school students.
Who are all these blurkers? They're coming out of the woodwork!
Celia~ Hello. We have not met before. But I know Ilene who knows Jessica R. who knows you. So that is how I got to you. And I have to say you are hilarious. I recently did a post of the little white lies I tell my kids! And I hadn't even thought of the phone gag. So thanks for the new material to use. My kids will hate it...but I will love it! :-) If you want to read my little white lie post (if you are in need of some material yourself), check out my post at this link http://margaret-hansen.blogspot.com/2008/01/little-white-lie-post.html
According to my three-year-old, I AM Satan so that threat won't fly.
My sister carried a card for the Child Protective Services hotline. My parents didn't think that her tactics were amusing.
too funny!!!!!!!
Hooray...parenting tips from Celia! Blogs are such a wealth of information! Thanks to Paige I now use the "naughty pinch" and thanks to Jessica I use the "seat belt check".
Can't wait to use this one. I might even video the whole thing as a training session for the Phake Phone.
I called Santa for the first time this year, and I felt so bad about it the rest of the holiday I wanted Christmas to get here just so Santa REALLY COULD come.
I'm a sissy!
I'm so glad I'm back. Your posts make it worth it. I'm a little slow getting to it though aren't I? I wish I could press the "mark all as read" button but I just can't bring myself to do it. Is it OCD?
Anyway, I'm using this Phake Phone thingy. Levi's been dribbling little yellow pee pees in his underwear lately and it's Pissing (ha ha pun on words) ME off! Will you be my phake phone person please?
I call the police all the time. It works well.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will now be making Phake Phone calls all day long.
You are funny. How else will I fit Heather and all of her kids in my car??
Celia, you keep things real and entertaining, this is why I love to hang out with you all the time. You are becoming an blogger legend. 35 comments and it's not even your birthday. And btw sorry I never got you a GHD gift.
Okay, so today was the best day. All of these comments! I'm not worthy! To incorporate into my calling list:
1. bishop
2. kids friends
3. principal
4. Jesus
5. sports stars
The possibilities are endless.
Today I called the karate teacher. Something about moves being used illegally....
Everyone knows this but me???
(And Bridget's Dr. Phil add-in was very good.)
You guys are all a bunch of liars and I would never lie or mislead my kids. I'm going to call Jesus right now and tell on you.
ooh, I shall try at once.
I know I am a little late to this very phun post but I just have to tell you it works on adults too. I am a little emabarrased to admit this but I used it on a high pressure sales guy when I went to buy a stove. He was trying to get rid of his special "last one." He took me out to the warehouse and even opened it from its box for a close inspection. After all his work and high pressure I didn't have the guts or heart to tell him I wanted the other one. So I made the phake phone call to my husband who wanted the same one I did.
Hi Celia!
I saw Anna at Madeline's wedding and she told me about your blog. I love the Phake Phone conversations - really useful when potty training! Love your blog -great, now I have more websites to browse - what a time suck! Take care - your cousin Audrey
Oh, brilliant. I've been a mother for 9 years, & I haven't thought of this tactic? I suck. I'm swiping this one.
Love it. And we also get tesxt messages for our oldest. From Santa. That she can read herself.
"Dear Isabel, Your room is not looking nice. I am working on some great presents for you for this year, but you need to get the room clean. Sincerely, Santa"
Post a Comment