Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mo Fun again

This anonymous person opened his high council talk with a play on the word Mormon today. I quite enjoyed the rest of the meeting, along with my partners in naughty, Jeff and Margo. I don't think they will be sitting in front of me again soon.
Mor-mon: the popular name given to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A label that I wear with great pride.
  • Mo - an abbreviation of the popular name given to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sounds like show. Used affectionately among members.
  • MoTown - A place where Mormons live, i.e. Provo.
  • MoPed - a missionary who is tracting on foot.
  • PoMo - a poor Mormon. Poor in spirit, of course.
  • CoMo - A company owned by Mormons. See also Bonneville International Corp.
  • ProMo - someone who works for the Church Educational System.
  • BevMo- member with an drinking problem. Possibly attends the 12-step program.
  • SloMo - an investigator to the church who takes his time getting baptized.
  • DoughMo - rich Mormon. See also PoMo or Jon Huntsman.
  • MoLe - Spanish speaking Mormon.
  • DoMo - Overacheiving member. Condition usually found in women.
  • LoMo - Mormon who could use some antidepressants.
  • MoCha - Starbucks frequenting Mormon. This means you.
  • MoJo - Postum, Ovaltine, or good old hot chocolate.
  • MoCoke - Caffeine free cola.
  • WoeMo - Mormon who complains incessantly. We don't have any of these in our ward.
  • MoShun - An active anti-Mormon. Can be found outside Temple Square during General Conference.
  • HoMo - Girl with questionable moral cleanliness. No one I know, of course.
  • MoTab - BYU accounting major. See also Mark Hair or Dave Harlow.
  • MoTel - Bishop interview. He knows if you are lying.
  • Depeche Mo - a person who attended Saturday night dances in the '80s.
  • MoShow - General Conference on TV.
  • FauxMo - polygamist.
  • MoTile - Man with many progeny. Not to be confused with FauxMo.
  • CostMo - Costco in Provo on a Saturday.
  • CosMo - Why people get baptized.
  • MoNoMo - what I hope doesn't happen to me as a result of this blog.

48 comments:

Rochelleht said...

SOOOOOOOOOO funny!!!

Were you taking secret pictures in church again? Excellent!

the wrath of khandrea said...

classics. but don't forget the following:

MoFro- a popular hairstyle among utah mormons in the 80's. sadly, still exists today.

MoRon- the really stupid ones

LibidMo- the uncontrollable urge to try "levi love" and justify it by saying "we never took our clothes off!"

Jake said...

Glo-Mo--one who is ready to be translated...or simply wearing too much Mary Kay

Celia Fae said...

So what you're saying, Andrea, is that I'm sadly behind the times. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

I take credit for bevmo and domo. Yes, it is true that my mother is gradually converting me to her way of life.

*Tanyetta* said...

tooo funny! i just learned something new today!

and i hope the last one doesn't happen to you either. i need my daily dose of funnies :)

Lisa-Marie said...

So would the prophet be the ProMo?!?!?!

Oh poo! I see that you already had ProMo on the list. Oh well. I still think I'm clever! Not as clever as you, but clever!

Hollyween said...

I admire your ability to take pictures in church without being noticed. You, my friend, are sneaky. I think I'd be afraid. But... it's not like there's a rule that we can't, right? Or IS there? My favorite one is the MoShun one because I CANNOT stand those protestors. They drive me nuts. Oh... and I love the WoeMo one. I know too many of those...

katri said...

That so so "frickin'" funny! I am totally laughing out loud and will send this on to my husb. immediately.

Love the sneaky photo job! You rock.

My fav. is "WoeMo" ... we don't have any of thse in our ward either ;)

Jessica said...

So you were planning your post during Sac. Mtg, just like me?

Good Time Charlie said...

You are the Moman!! Mark and I laughed so hard. I love the end! I wouldn't worry too much, the only one's looking are like minded people, and we won't tell!

Nortorious said...

The HoMo one is funny.
I don't really get the MoTile, tile as in Gentile? Confused.
Clearly your MOst clever post.

Hazen5 said...

Lil'Mo- One that is under the age of accountability

JackMo- Doesn't keep all of the commandments but still comes to church

Mo's M.O.-Modus operendi...the three fold mission of the church of course

Jackson County, MO-Zion

Paige said...

Here's one-
ShoMo- a girl who shows her g's because they "look like a cami"

Ilene said...

You gotta do what you gotta do on high council speaker Sunday. This looks like a lot more fun than me pinching my child to lap the halls.

D-dawg said...

Everyone is way more clever than me. I just spent awhile trying to figure out one to add and sadly, I can't. I laughed today at church when Mark shared these. I like them. Great list.

Brigitta said...

Wow, Mark should have talked to you before he gave his talk, you two could have come up with so many and then he could have used more time entertaining us!!! I like the picture, nice and annonymous.

Celia Fae said...

I love the additions. I hope they keep coming. Nor, MoTile = Mormon guy with healthy (motile) sperm. For example, "Sister Fertile is pregnant again. Her husband must have very motile sperm."

Erin said...

You're hilarious. My mom told me all about your irreverent church shenanigans and directed me here. :) Love it!

Erin said...

Oh! I just thought of one(s).
MoBlo- a mormon blogger.
MoMoBlo- a mormon MOM blogger

Ellie said...

I hate it when I am one of the last posters. Then it doesn't matter if I can think of anything funny to say, because people won't read it. Poop.

martha corinna said...

eenie-meenie-miney-Mo=noncommittal mormon, one who picks over doctrine or my personal favorite, an indecisive male mormon who is unable to pick a spouse (I take credit from recently saving my brother from a life of continuing his eenie-meenie-miney-mo).

Mofree-the Murray Costco, which is free of Mormons and their hoards of children (unlike the orem/provo costco), due to the fact that it is located right next door to Southern Exposure (a strip joint). This is why we frequent the Murray costco, to avoid the Mormons and to catch a glimpse of the strip joint :)

Penny said...

I love the picture...Have you ever thought about being a private investigator? Cuz you sure are sneaky. Then you could blog about that too.

You are so very clever, and I am so very jealous!

Good Time Charlie said...

LPMO, (long prayer) A Mormon who says reallllllyyyyyy long prayers in Sacrament. So long, you could record it and make an album. SERMO, those who are supposed to bearing their testimonies and give a prepared Sermon instead....... every single fast and testimony meeting.
PIMO, (pious Mormon)
PMOBMO, (pregnant mother of the bride Mormon, this type found only in Utah, usually pregnant with child #14)
COMMO, (Mormon woman who only knows who to cook food that includes a can of cream of Mushroom soup)

Paige said...

Oh Karen is GOOD.

Celia Fae said...

MoTrin - the first presidency

eBay said...

This is awesome. You are all so witty. Mo's are such an easy target! Hey, we ARE a peculiar people!

Jeff Olson said...

Hi Celia!

You make Sacrament Meeting interesting...however,I must learn to whisper quieter.

Here are a couple more I thought of:

SLOMO = High Priest (except me perhaps)

MOTIME = Tardy Mormons...as in "if you see me in the parking lot before church it's MOTIME!"

Meaning, you are officially 10 minutes LATE!

Jeff Olson said...

Oops...

I see you already have a SLOMO so keep the same definition and call that HP a GEEZMO!

Jeff Olson said...

Help! I am at work and cannot stop coming up with mo stuff!

MOB - Mormon Gang or a lot of Mormons

DEMO - Dead (or Metaphysically challenged Mormon)

MOWED - Temple Wedding

Okay, back to work...

Jeff Olson said...

Okay, okay...this is really the last one and I mean it!

YOYOMO - A Mormon Cellist

Jeff Olson said...

MOFOO - Any meal prepared using only food storage items.

I am turning off my computer to avoid temptation of writing anyMO!

Jeff Olson said...

ELMO - Mormon Elders

I think I need to talk to the Bishop (aka MOBI) about this addiction.

Jeff Olson said...

MOZEEZ - Any sleeping Mormon in Sac Meeting (but mostly High Priests) is catching some MOZEEZ!

I am now having my assistant physically tie my hands.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, this post is hilarious. I found you through Denae, my old time friend from BYU, and Holly is my friend from HS who has found your blog already, and I found Jessica through Denae, who also apparently knows you too...and everyone loves you, so I want to love you too! ha ha. Your blog is awesome. I am adding you to my google reader. Here is my address, although I am sure you already have a zillion blogs in your life. Anyways, I'll be checking in often!! quirkykirky.blogspot.com
Jill

AnnEE said...

I need your address. Please send it via e-mail. And Nor's, and Paige's, and Nellie's. How can I announce the birth of my child via snail mail if I have no addresses????

D-dawg said...

Jeff Olson is crazy!! And so clever!

Sally said...

Celia, are you known in your ward as 'that woman with the camera'?

I loved this post, as always very entertaining, especially the photo of the speaker walking away from you.

I can't wait for your Primary Sac't Meeting Program blog. Please tell me there will be one. With pictures?

Anonymous said...

FOTFL!! You are so funny! I guess I'm a ClosetMo - I've been locked away over here in Texas and I haven't heard any of this sayings before. Seriously, you guys are cracking me up.

Carie said...

Hilarious. or HA-Larious, as we like to say in our end of the woods.

I wish my sacrament meetings were this entertaining.

Lauren in GA said...

I can see why you brought this one back!


I guess it was from October...before I learned to blog...this is fantastic.

Jenibelle said...

Morose: a mormon blogger not at Blopalooza!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

LOVE Andrea's comment. I can see it now (the hairstyle, that is)

Tristan said...

This was great! Love Andrea's additions too!

mamasuisse said...

MoTile struck a chord with me. I didn't have any trouble figuring that one out!

These are hilarious. The comments made me laugh as much as the post did.

Nancy said...

These are awesome! I need to share these with my husband... he'll get a kick out of it, and then not be able to stop making up new names (like Jeff - very clever).

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, Celia! You are my hero!!! hahaha

Jenna Harris said...

Har, har!!!! Loved meeting you at BP. You guys did an awesome job.

PS Costco is in Orem. Orem is better than Provo. I live in Orem.

PPS I read Ellie's comment. Please tell her not to poop and to be funny regardless of when she comments.