Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thirty-five Percent Less of Me to Love

Day of Reckoning, 38th bday. People ask me if I hate looking at old pictures of my heavier self. I don't. I had a good life then and there was plenty to be happy about.


In October of 2008 I turned 38, and it was a tough birthday for me. I panicked at the realization that in 2 short years I would be 40, and I didn't feel like I was ready. I needed to make some changes, including improving my health.

I didn't feel unhealthy. My blood pressure has always been good, I wasn't pre-diabetic, and I was pretty happy. I liked myself. I was mostly fine with being overweight. In fact, it seemed to bother other people more than it bothered me. Sure, there were times when my size was a bummer, but that was nothing compared with the pleasure I derived from food.

I still love food.

Even so, I knew that I needed to change my lifestyle. On January 7, 2009 I started the first of what turned out to be many regimens. I didn't tell anyone until I'd had some success, and even then I didn't really like to talk about it. I felt like it wasn't anybody's business. Plus I didn't want to jinx myself.


Six months out. I'm the one in the pink. I know it's hard to tell because I'm practically twins with my little sis.


For the first six months of my project, I did Isagenix shakes. I didn't do their multilevel marketing pills and stuff, but I liked the shakes. I'd drink a couple a day and then eat a regular dinner. It worked for a while and then it stopped working.

When I got bored of shakes, I started counting calories and logging my food. I had an app on my phone that would help me figure out the calories of food I ate. I also tracked my weight every day. I freaking hate my scale. The logging was good for a while because it was like a game: how many calories could I save for later? How can I record one and a half chocolate chip cookies?




Birthday 39. More than halfway there. Did I mention this whole thing took FOREVER? It's good I gave myself such a large window. Notice the vanilla in the picture. I used it in my shakes with my best friend, Splenda.


When counting calories wasn't working anymore, I started paying attention to ratios. On livestrong.com you can enter food and it tells you what percentage of fat, carbs, and protein you are eating. I tried to get 30 percent fat, 30 percent carbs, and 40 percent protein. I liked this method because it could dictate to me what to have for dinner. I'd mostly go over on carbs.

After doing all of that calorie stuff, I learned that I can eat about 1200 calories a day and lose weight s-l-o-w-l-y. It's practically starving. I have the worst metabolism ever, and I'd like to thank Grandma Betty, RIP for that.


Mother's Day this year. I'm glad I haven't sized out of that sweater because I like it. I'm going to keep telling myself that.


Next I entered the Every Five Pounds phase of my weight loss project. The Every Five Pounds method is picking some stupid fad diet and trying it, then losing five pounds, and then quitting. I cycled through Atkins, HCG, Zone, South Beach, blah blah blah. Luckily I was able to check most of those books out of the library so I didn't waste my money. Still, they all worked to a degree.

Just for the record, it wasn't all as smooth as I am making this sound. Blood, sweat, and tears, baby. Not to mention obsession, depression, and regression. I feel sorry for and grateful for all of my people who acted as counselors to me.

Finally, I moved to my current food program which is my favorite and I think I will be able to sustain for my life. I hope. More about that later.

Gosh, if I only had a picture of myself in a bathing suit, then I could post myself in all of my glory. I'll have to get right on that.


I'm 40 now. I achieved my goal with a month left to go. I'm very impressed with myself and I've got the size eight skinny jeans to prove it. No fair looking at the muffin top. Now I can move on. Just as soon as I lose another 10 pounds....

30 comments:

angie said...

Celia!! You are beautiful and I am so proud of you. As I get older, weight is REALLY hard to loose. Great job! I want the details of your current program!

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you for posting this and posting all of the pictures of your progression. You have done (and continue to do) such an amazing job. Part of my problem is that I get discouraged that the weight comes off so slowly. I am an instant gratification kind of a girl...and the food brings instant gratification...slow weight loss doesn't.

I admire that you took control at age 38. I turned 40 in June and I found out two weeks ago that I have developed Type 2 diabetes. I am getting ready to try Medifast. I am not thrilled about the price (though it is more reasonable than some of the weightloss programs) but I was told with diet and exercise that I can turn the diabetes around. I hope so.

You are amazing, Celia. Truly.

Brigitta said...

So proud of you....You worked hard, you were committed, you were focused, you were dedicated....so now enjoy all the benefits of those super cute skinny jeans and you deserve all the shopping for new clothes.

You are amazing and beautiful. But just so you know you were always amazing and beautiful....good job girlfriend!!!!

Robin said...

So many people have been waiting for this post! I am very happy for you and thrilled at your success. It is a life changing thing when you change your eating habits. Yay! Yay for Celia!

WooHoo!

Lisa-Marie said...

I enjoyed every word of this post. I too have been weighting to hear about your journey and I was not disappointed. Full of humor, honesty, reality. I loved it. I'm happy you are so happy and totally jealous that you can wear a size eight skinny jeans. You rock!

*i just read through my comment and noticed I spelled "waiting," "weighting." That was not on purpose, but I think I'll leave it!

*One more thing. One of my favorite parts of this post was when you said that you were happy at your original weight. I love that. Our weight does not define us. You are a good example of taking care of your body for the right reasons.

Annemarie said...

You are amazing. I know how hard and frustrating that journey can be.
What's the deal with leaving us hanging on the curreant food program??? I want to know MORE!!!

I also have that cute, green sweater.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i feel excited for you. i opened up 2 screens so i could look at your first and last picture side by side, and mika goes "wow mom, that lady got skinny." first i was bugged because he was snooping, but then i felt excited for you that even a 12 year old boy is impressed.

Kimberly said...

Celia, ditto L-M's post. You are AWESOME!! Not to mention smart, funny, and hot. Way to go! And let's hear more about the latest food program. I'm about to embark on one of those myself I think.

Christie said...

I read this post with a chocolate chip cookie in each hand. I need help. Please post your newest plan. I'm so ready to curb the weight gain. I'm at my highest in years. And yet, still I eat...

Christie said...

Do you love how I turned your success post into an-all-about-me comment?

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your victory over the scale. You look fab!

Leslie M said...

You are an inspiration!

D-dawg said...

I am so proud of you and totally admire all of your hard work! One thing I always loved about your from the beginning was that you were happy and enjoyed life (like you said). But I think it is awesome that you made a goal and accomplished it. That is so hard to do. I tried not to to talk to you too much about it because I knew you didn't want to, but now I think you should talk about it constantly because it is amazing how much work you've done and how far you've come. And I've seen you in the skinny jeans and you look hot!

Jessica said...

I'm a little speechless at your awesomeness.
I'll try to recover: everything about this post (and you) was fabulous. You are a superstar, because who sticks to a goal that consistently and for that long.

You are officially my idol today!

Jennie said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. I know weight loss is personal to everyone. I lost some weight two years ago and it is still a battle to keep it under control. I like what you said about life style change. I think that is so true. I can't wait to hear about the plan that will be your keeper. I want all the details. Hopefully I can mesh it with mine. I agree with your take on calories. I try and stick to 1300 and it is a pain!

Good Time Charlie said...

Even though there is 35% less of you, I love you the same 100% I did two years ago if not more. So proud of the dedication it has taken to see this through, but like you said yesterday when we were Fig Poaching, you feel so much better, cleaner inside and more energy. THAT is the true reward. The cute clothes are a really nice side kick, but having a better quality of life is Golden. Excuse me Mrs. Clean while I go and toxicate my body with Diet Pepsi now, I will never get to your level of self discipline, you rock.........

Paige said...

Yeah you are a superstar. And not even any diet pills. I've thorough enjoyed every diet we've been on (except the weird spinach shake one) and can't understand why I don't get the exact same results as you. Cookies? Worse metabolism than yours? Im glad you made the Grandma Betty reference b/c in that first picture I thought, "Hey, it's Grandma Betty!" Now you just look hot. Also, I'm not any happier a little thinner than I was fat. I liked my life then. I like it now. I'm the same damn person. I mean yeah, my life has some major suckage but has nothing to do with my weight

Really did you did lose the metabolism lottery but F- the metabolism, you are hot. Plus, you ALWAYS had good clothes and accessories on a bargain, fat or skinny. The shoes were um, comfortable.

Paige said...

And thank goodness Ellie is pregnant or I'd be the fat sister. I liked it when we were all the fat sisters, Nor included. Let's do that again. Bonding.

Elizabeth said...

I bet you are so proud to have stuck with this goal for so long. Good on you, congrats and I hope you are enjoying the reward of feeling a bit healthier.
You look fantastic (but you also looked fantastic in the first pic too).
Thanks for sharing what I think is a pretty personal topic.

Cynthia said...

Good for you for your 40th birthday. I've got a goal for my 50th. Wish I had done it 10 years ago. I'm almost there and feeling good. I like what you said about liking your life then and now. Me too. And I also get being bored on one plan or another. I've hopped from plan to plan too.
Thanks for sharing. You look great, and I love your blog.

MaryAnn said...

You look fabulous!

brooke said...

I don't like to talk about weight loss either--much easier for me to make self-depracating fat jokes but this was so good for me to read. I was eating two oreos as I read it and wondering why I never lose any weight. I work out like a crazy person but I'm eating too much. I think I'm going to start counting calories (as brutal as that is--it is the only way to really know how much I'm eating.)

Sorry--I can make anything about me. What I meant to say was you look fantastic and I'm really proud of you.

Jake said...

So awesome! You are reverse-aging, my dear.

We definitely need a follow-up post including the following:
1. What do you eat on a daily basis?
2. What's your exercise regime?
3. Do you cook "regular food" for your family?
4. What did you do with all your old clothes? (They were so cute. I will take all your size 10s and 12s!!)

Carol said...

AND...you even did it while your "famous" baker-neighbor constantly tempted you with delicious treats. Good thing she moved out of state for your "maintenance" phase! Love you and miss you...(and terribly proud of you).

heidiram said...

You rock! That is an incredible accomplishment.

Sherine said...

The curious case of Celia Fae. You look 10 years younger. NICE JOB!!

Ellie said...

This post make me hungry.

Alice said...

Celia, you are amazing! I have loved you your whole life no matter what your weight was. I was always a fan, but this is a great accomplishment and you look like a million bucks! Congratulations on doing it right.

Love you,
Mama Alice

Alice said...

Celia, you are amazing! I have loved you your whole life no matter what your weight was. I was always a fan, but this is a great accomplishment and you look like a million bucks! Congratulations on doing it right.

Love you,
Mama Alice

Good Time Charlie said...

Wow, I was looking back at this post, I am amazed at how far you have come in your goals! Hope you are feeling the burn now. Looking forward to more Pahmping.

Anna said...

Sheesh. And all I've done is cook babies. Let's go have a shake. You are shockingly gorgeous. Maybe let's go have a European.