Henry pretending to pick his nose with the peeler. Nice. Notice the chop-wizard, one of the greatest Seen on TV gadgets ever, simply because it allows my nine-year-old to dice stuff for me.
What I don't like about the plant-based food plan:
- I don't like any of the names for what I'm doing. Vegan has cow-loving connotations and I don't care about that. Nutritarian, which is what the author calls his devotees, is laborious. Mostly I call it a plant-based diet, which I think works.
- Some people get really freaked out when I tell them I avoid meat and dairy. I'm not sure why. Maybe they think I'm judging what they eat, which I am not.
- When I tell people about it, then I feel like they are watching what I put in my mouth and I don't like that kind of pressure. That is exactly the reason I never wrote anything about my whole weight loss thing.
- It was hard at first to try and figure out what I could eat. The meat, starch, and veg thing is so ingrained.
- There is a lot of cutting and cooking involved in preparing my food.
- It is harder to eat at restaurants. I'm not super-psycho about the preparation of restaurant food. It doesn't kill me to go with the flow. Still, I prefer my own cooking now.
- If I decide to go back to my carnivorous ways, which I might, I'm going to know better and have to live with myself. It's too much information.
I eat what I want to eat. I'm not militant, and if I happen to want some meat or cheese, which happens about once a week, then I eat it. My mom made beef bourginon on Monday and I had a small serving and it was divine. I just don't seem to want it any more than that.
Next (and last, hallelujah): Your questions answered. Lay it on me.

16 comments:
Nutritarian???? Are you kiding me? People who call themselves such things obviously have no sense of humor and are far too busy putting high falutin labels on themselves. I agree, Plant Based diet is far more agreeable. So good for you that your first inclination to is eat a whole food and take the time to prepare it yourself. Good thing that Figs grow on trees on other people's property and all we have to do is pick them and eat as we go. That was nice mid morning meal yesterday!
I have a requested post topic. :) Could you give us a breakfast, lunch, dinner (plus snacks) idea of what you eat? So a day in the stomach of Celia? Thanks!
No Caffeine cravings? Seriously sounds too good to be true, and it just might be, because I don't know if I could handle just eating veggies all day long. So, my biggest questions are. .. are you sick of what you are eating?
How do you flavor your food?
I totally want a meal day too, or a couple because I am just having a hard time imagining what you could eat in a day. I mean, health wise I can see the benefits, but enjoyment wise, I have a big fat goose egg.
One last question. Sounds like it might be expensive to eat your weight in veggies every day. Not something I could do. Do you find it expensive?
I'm a sponge. This could not be more fascinating.
My question: really? No cravings? Like, you lose weight because you aren't constantly fighting the urge to put sugar , fat and flour in your mouth?
Post one of your favorite meals or snacks. I love the spinach/banana/spelnda/cocoa shake that you taught me about. So I know there is more good stuff for you to share.
i'd like to bear my testimony of this lifestyle.
i have decided to do it for my lunches and breakfasts... you know, a modified version. mostly because i can't handle the pitiful stares, whiny moans and general malaise of my husband if i were to cut out meat. anyway, i figure even if i still eat some meat at din din, or a little dairy, i'm still overloading on veggies and fruits throughout the day, and that can't be bad. i enjoy your real life application of all this. it makes it seem more achievable.
When you eat beef do you feel ill? Like your body can't digest it as well anymore?
Oh, am I supposed to ask questions on the next post?
I totally appreciate these posts. I know what you mean when you say that you don't want to talk about it. In the past when I have lost weight I kind of wanted to keep it to myself because, I agree...people watch you like a hawk and even have said things like, "Aren't you afraid you will gain it all back?" Thanks for the support...you idiots.
I really do appreciate these posts.
I need to know what you eat. Does it get boring? Is there any joy left in eating? I have to tell you how impressed I am. I've tried to stick to my no sugar/low carb pregnancy diet and I seem to have no self-control. Tell me how to get some of that, too, please...
Can you eat fruit?
How was eating in New Orleans, or rather, how did you do getting "back on track" when you got back? I mean, I'm still craving food I ate in Europe two years ago. And I'm not talking green beans and asparagus.
How has it effected your, ahem, bathroom time?
Can you give us some recipe ideas? It sounds so good, but I'm such a recipe person-meaning I don't make things up on my own. :)
Okay I wrote a huge comment and it’s still floating around the blogosphere so ...
I got the book from the library and I’m enjoying learning more about the diet.
I would love a day in the life of GF menu.
Also do you still eat bread?
Do you eat tofu and if you do how do you use it?
Do you substitute rice milk or almond milk for cow’s milk?
Have you given up Caffeine completely and did you get headaches?
Do you feel like you have a lack of energy from not eating meat?
Are you still losing weight on this food plan?
Ok I know that is way too many Q's so feel free to answer none or all.
This has blown my mind. I am really impressed and overwhelmed by the whole thing. My problem is I don't like most veggies. And even the ones I like are just okay compared to meat and carbs and chocolate. Did you like veggies before you started eating this way? What about the convenience factor? Isn't reparing veggies is hard and time-consuming? What about when you are out running errands and you get hungry? Also, how do you deal with the social factor? Like going to a shower or out to dinner. I struggle doing that stuff even when I am just trying to eat well--you know, the "YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS" factor. When you say it makes you feel better what exactly do you mean? And really I am just very impressed--you are disciplined and hardcore and a great influence to your kids. I just let me kids eat Halloween candy all weekend so I wouldn't have to cook.
I also need to know what food you miss the most...
Have you lost any friends along with the weight? I've heard that happens.
I still want a sample daily menu.
I think you should call yourself an herbivore :)
I second the request for the menu ideas, please.
I like "Nutritarian". It is descriptive and accurate, and the rest of us can be called "junkitarians".
My questions:
What does your husband think about it? Your siblings and parents? Kids?
Have you met other people IRL who eat this way? New friends?
Sample menus, please. That is always very interesting.
Do you think you'll stick with this for life?
What are your top three favorite vegetables and how do you prepare/eat them?
Post a Comment