I'm still eating the Eat to Live plan, modified slightly. I still like it, but what I like even more is when other people try it and like it. It feeds my inner bossy big sister. It's fun to get frantic texts from people when they are starting and it reinspires me.
This weekend I attended a potluck for people who are doing a plant based diet. People brought some of their discoveries, and then we all chowed down and talked about food. It was refreshing to be able to eat everything at a party and not have to pre-eat. It was also nice to share the common food interest and not feel like a freak. Even the meat eating spouses liked it, I think. I came away with some great recipes and good ideas. I hope we do it again.
My recipe was not revolutionary or even super healthy, but here it is:
2 cups thoroughly cooked butternut squash
2 cups unsweetened milk substitute (I like almond)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 small package sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix
Blend everything together. The goal is a smooth mixture, but mine usually has chunks because I'm too lazy to put it into the blender.
Chill for a couple of hours and top with toasted nuts and raisins. You could also top it with soy whipped cream in a can. I didn't like the soy cream but other people did.
If you are anything like me three months ago, you have no idea how to cook butternut squash. You can buy it cubed and then bake it, or you can cook the whole squash.
- Put the whole squash in the oven at 350 for 30 min. I get the biggest one I can find, so these directions would need to be modified for a small one.
- Remove squash and cut lengthwise. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet with water in it rind up. Bake 30 min 350.
- Remove squash and scoop out seeds and junk. Put back onto the sheet with rind down. Bake 30 more min.
- Remove, scoop it out, and eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why are my palms so orange?
As far as the weight loss thing, I'm still working on it. I've been pretty hard core (except for a crab feast, thanks Jeni) because I entered a biggest loser contest in November with a few people and I was a shoo-in to win. I was killing the competition, but then one contestant started a crash diet and she is beating me now and I'm so mad. The last day is this Friday and I want the cash. There's still a chance I could take it. I'm thinking about sneaking sugar in her water supply. After that I'm going to work on maintenance for a while. Not quitting the plants though.
Also, check this out! Oprah and staff are going vegan! I guess I'm trendy. I did it before Oprah, though, so that excuses me from being a Winfrey disciple. I guess I'm going to have to break down and watch daytime tv tomorrow. Poor me.
Note to self: if you are serious about losing weight, you've got to say goodbye to the bread. Half a serving seems to be the limit. The good news is, cutting the bread is helping with sugar cravings.

9 comments:
Had so much fun. I think I'm going hard core now. No more bread.
Thanks for risking your life and standing on a chair to make me look better.
Erin: Don't do it!!
Having a potluck like that is really genius.
I wonder why cutting bread helps with sugar cravings? I really love bread...but I really am serious about my weight loss.
You really have started a revolution. You and Robin are amazing.
Celia, this is a great post. I am re-inspired too! Just back from a work trip to Nashville, and I was amazed that there was really nothing for me to eat the whole week--vegan wise anyway. Wonderful city, but I came back craving the veggies and salads again. And I think getting rid of bread will be the absolute hardest thing for me. Thanks for writing about this stuff!
Emma is looking HOT HOT HOT. I need some "meatless" dinner ideas.
Oprah totally got the idea from your blog. I'm surprised you aren't a guest on her show!
Feeling more and more sorry for myself that I was still working while the eating was going on. Thanks for the recipe. I do need to make this. PS Emma looks great! You do too, even though you aren't pictured....
I thought there was less of Emma...
and you're welcome. Would you like to come over for ribs?
1/2 serving of bread a day or 1/2 serving of bread per meal? I had a portobello sandwich today. Bread was the best part even though I only ate the bottom slice.
Post a Comment