Sunday, January 30, 2011

Snappy Synopsis

Claire the ski zebra.





Squinting at the choir festival.



Claire (13) is the easiest person in my family to blog about because she does so many interesting things. She was invited to go to the Calif Music Teacher's Assoc Honor choir in San Jose, which was a big deal, especially for me because she had to go to San Jose State four times and stay the entire day. I only ended up having to drive her once but it was a long day. I am the proud owner of a San Jose public library card now. Ask me to check out some books for you. Claire has a good voice and an even better music teacher and it's going to be sad next year when she goes to high school with a lame choir teacher.

Max polar bear-ing in the snow.






The best part of skiing for Max and Alice. Gondola.




Max (16), deigned to go skiing with us last weekend (a little coercion always works). He doesn't like skiing because it is cold (pansy) so he volunteered to watch Alice. Alice is four and thinks she should ski, but then when she puts her snow clothes on she cries and falls down a lot. No skiing for her yet. Max and Alice spent the day riding in the gondola at Sugarbowl. We did manage to drag Max out on a couple of runs and I was reminded that he is a decent skier. It makes me sad that he hates it. Of course, he probably hates it just because it makes me sad. Maybe he'll grow up and like it.

Mission project. Three down, one to go.


Goofball Henry.



Henry and Aunt Afsenah at cousin Zoraya's bday party. He liked the loot.


In California, the fourth graders all study the missions that were founded by early settlers. They typically have to do a mission report and build a model of their mission. I'm happy to say that Carl completed his model of San Juan Capistrano. Henry (9) watched. I'm grateful I didn't have to ruin his model by placing my hands on it, although I spent a couple of hours pre-buying supplies. I'm mystified by the cottage industry that creates stuff for California missions. It's like they can read my mind. Craft stores make me breathe rapidly and sweat.

Alice, Uncle Andy, and Zoraya at a birthday party better than my kid's wedding receptions will be.

Alice (4) had to take some trips to the pediatric dentist this month after failing with Dr. Mark Maher. Alice failed, not Mark. (925) 935-1159 Accepting new patients. I was really worried we were going to have to go the total sedation route on Alice like we did with Claire and also Henry, but the laughing gas worked out. I'm relieved, and also slightly jealous. Love that stuff. It's a good thing I don't have access to nitrous oxide.

Carl-Tron in his night time running gear.


Carl (old) had his wildest dreams come true this morning at stake conference when Elder Packer mentioned Samuel Brannan in his talk. Brannan is Carl's favorite renegade. Another great moment for happened to him vicariously at Costco:




Me: Please help me take this giant couch to my vehicle for loading.



Costco guys: Okay, bring your truck around.



Me: Oh, it isn't a truck, it's a van.



Costco guys: Smirk.



Me: Load her up.



Costco guys: It's never going to fit.



Me: Push harder.



Costco guys: It fits. I can't believe it.



I guess cargo capacity means a lot to Carl because he loves that story. And I love my Odyssey. And him too, I guess.

Zoraya's birthday cake.

Andy, Grandpa Rulon, Grandma Gail, Baby, Grandpa Zolfaghari, Afsenah



And... some equal photo time for my fam or I'll hear about it tomorrow. Baby Otto's blessing day. Of note: Phil's bed head. So sleepy he couldn't quite make it into the circle.

11 comments:

Linsey said...

Which of the Pleiadaes did you eat?

Jessica said...

I always worry about whether my summaries bore readers to tears.

You should NEVER worry about this.

Jenibelle said...

One word about the mission project...
RECYCLE.

Always make sure you get a different teacher and recycle the project. I should have shared 2 kids ago. I hope Carl gets his 'A'.

I flipped when I got a B+ on Jeff's poetry book.

Ashley said...

I like Jenibelle's recylcing idea. Or you could start another cottage industry--secondary market for mission projects. Carl did a fantastic job. I hate skiing too so I think Max is justified. As long as he can talk the talk on job interviews and dates he is fine.

the wrath of khandrea said...

1. the globe was a cake? why would a child enjoy that? where's dora?

2. i am entertained by the ashcroft hair. it's stick straight, but it's kind of poky, like quills. it makes them look quirky and affable.

3. did you guys seriously coordinate for the blessing picture? because there is no oddball in orange, no freak in fuschia. confess.

MaryAnn said...

How could anyone not like to ski?? Sadly I ended up with two 15 year old granddaughters who would rather stay warm in a comfortor than ski clothes. I miss them on the slopes. Brett (who loops 4th and 5th grade) gives his students/parents a choice of mission projects. A power point presentation, a written report with oral presentation or a mission model. He hopes and wants the kids to do the work. (Dreamer)
Your kids are the cutest bunch....

Lauren in GA said...

I loved the whole summary.

That cake is something else. Did you try it? It looks like it wouldn't be edible...it really is a work of art.

Thank you for pointing out Phil's bed head. I know he'll love that.

Please tell Carl I love his Mission project. He does great work.

Jenna Harris said...

My husband sells Hondas for a living. He's gonna love that Odyssey story.

Angela said...

I hate skiing. My siblings were all better at it than me and I hate falling. But I always make sure my family goes. Everyone should get a chance to see if they will like it.

That is a cool Costco story. It'll make your couch and van more enjoyable!

I started Eat to Live. I love the shakes. Salads take forever to eat but I'm doing it. I've lost about 6lbs so far. Thanks, Celia!

Celia Fae said...

Linsey, there's a story. The name Zoraya is Persian for one of the seven sisters stars. No idea if there will be seven sisters.

Jessica, I always like your summaries because they are real. Like you.

Jeni, I can't imagine hanging on to that stupid giant mission for years. Did you do that? Maybe make a collapsible one?

Ashley, I hope he has interviews someday. Even at Taco Hell.

Khandi, see above re cake. Ashcroft hair has a mind of its own, and we always coordinate for group outings. It's a sickness.

Maryann, I wish I was in his class.

Lauren, I had to prewarn phil.

Jenna, I would be happy to do a testimonial for a discount...

Crazy! You're crazy! I'm coming over.

Paige said...

Wow. The cake. And I know the comment about your kid's wedding receptions is true. Who's husband sells odyssey's for a living??? I need to know her. Sol's mission report was drawn on a brown paper bag as a group in class. I got to visit it already done on the wall. I was sad because I have popsicle sticks and polly pockets that would have worked.

Jeni's b+ on the poetry book makes me laugh