This Sunday I got a corner piece. Yuck. Too much crust. The best is when there is a big white fluffy piece taken out of the middle. While I appreciate the symbolism the bread represents, I look forward to eating it as well.
I tried to find some rules for bread selection but was unable. I do have some suggestions, however. My son will be a teacher next year so I look forward to providing him with the following options:
- Challah bread, as pictured. Tends to be a little yellow but has a very mild taste. Challah bread would be more than appropriate due to its Jewish origins.
- The sourdough would have to be the soft-crusted kind because the priests would cut their fingers on the crispy kind. Gum would be required for the bad aftertaste.
- Whole grain bread would be a good way to promote healthy habits and good fiber intake among the congregation.
- Homemade white bread is delicious but a little bit mean to serve without butter and jam. Another mom is going to have to make the bread due to my bread-making failure rate.
- Pumpernickel, yum. A delicious bread for Sundays in the fall.
- What about a sweet bread, like banana or zucchini? Maybe they could pass that at Christmas for a special treat.
- If there were bread guidelines, I'm pretty sure they would discourage rye bread even though it also has ancient origins. The taste is just too strong.
I know there are people who have gluten allergies. What do they do about the ritual Sunday bread? Notice I don't use the proper term for fear of being sacrilegious. It might be too late. Do the allergic bring their own special gluten-free bread for the whole congregation or just for themselves? Doesn't that get a little pricey? And what about the Atkins people? Are they irrational in their anticipation of a weekly bit of bread? Does the Atkins person go wild and hog the whole tray for themselves?
Aren't you glad we don't get a wafer?

21 comments:
I vote for pumpkin-chocolate chip bread.
Once We had wheat bread, and when Payton went to pick up a piece she hesitated and said, "Momma I don't like that dirty bread!" Today I actually got a big white fluffy piece (inside I was very happy)! Last week my sister got corn tortillas, someone forgot to get the bread! Kind of funny being from San Diego and all.
Yep. I would love a weekly holla from the challah but instead its Granny Smith on sale from Maceys.
Oh, that's too funny! Actually, I had an unusual piece yesterday. I think it might have been potato or something. A pleasant surprise.
Anyone ever had a piece with mold on it? I have. Do you think it still counts if you spit it out?
Oh, you just crack me up. Laughed really hard on this one. I'm with Ashley - a nice pumpkin chocolate chip bread would really hit the spot. I might even take an extra piece or two. Blame it on my kids.
And the atkins people? You are just too funny.
I like the idea of the sweet bread.
I'd be better able to bribe my children to sit still if there was the anticipation of something sweet as a reward.
Yesterday, I had a whole lotta stale crust. It was so stale, that I had to chew on it for a good two minutes before it was swallowable. Also, please teach El Maxo NOT to press too hard, because nothing makes me dry heave a little more than a middle piece with finger marks in it. Yuck!
I WAS ADOPTED!!!!! I'm so the favorite. I'm doing a little jig, I'll have you know! Now, since I'm part of the fam, does Lenore know that my name isn't AnnLee? :o)
My kids usually grab a big handful. Should I make them put it back? I never know what to do.
I have one who won't eat crust, so she searches around for "her" best piece. Now I try to scope one out for her as I am taking mine and then I point it out to her.
Celia, Celia, Celia....
I always find your Sabbath musings interesting. ;) I really think that many have pondered on the make of bread and what exacatcly is appropriate. I have to admit on the first sunday I am always looking for the BIGEST piece to hopefully tide me over until the dinner hour. (No crust please!)
As a kid I also wished that milk came out of the drinking fountain and not water. Now I kind of wish it was Pepsi. I know a bit random. But what did you expect?
What about flatbread - do tortillas qualify? A bit of quesadilla could really hit the spot.
My favorite is when we are visiting the Dominican Republic and the person that was supposed to bring the bread FORGOT. And the nearby colmado(consider it a Dominican style 7-11) hasn't received the Sunday morning bread delivery yet. . . so it's saltine crackers or whatever else the Aaronic priesthood holder can purchase "fi-ao" (translation: take the goods from the colmado and return to pay for them on Monday so they can get around the little commandment about "keeping the Sabbath day holy".
1. Your kids are really good during the meeting if you have the opportunity to think about what size, consistency, etc that you got...I am just hoping that my boys don't take all the bread or dump the tray over completely. I hope someday to be able to notice what I am putting in my mouth at that moment rather than using all my mental resources to shoot lazer threatening looks at my kids.
2. When I read "I tried to find some rules for bread selection but was unable", I read it as "I tried to find some rules for bread selection from the tray" as in, if you were bad that week (screamed at kids, drank too much diet coke, cussed) you had to take a big but undesirable piece (like your corner piece) for maximum repentance, whereas if you were really good that week, did your VTing and got to church on time, you could choose a small wispy soft center piece, enjoying the yumminess but saving the bigger pieces of forgiveness for those who needed it more. I better stick with the big piece every time. Maybe I can ask the guys to bring a whole slice just to me each week, I probably need it.
I recently found out that they CAN use just about anything for the bread and water. Cupcakes and coke, please.
I used to take two when I was pregnant. One for me, one for Mimi. It feels like double dipping, try it some time.
My vote is fried dough - you know, like the stuff at carnivals.
Oh you are GOOD Celia. I don't care what kind of bread, but I'd sure like a little big of peanut butter on the side. One time in the A2 ward we had frozen WAFFLES! It was highlight of my life and I haven't stopped laughing since about it. Jeff had to kick me out of the meeting. Darn.
we had cinnamon rolls once on a family outing and my dad says that on the boyscout campouts they used to use the leftover hot dog buns and kool-aid if the water was nasty. it really can be any bread product and drink, if water is not available.
the first pres. and quorum of the 12 have it in their thursday morning meetings too, and they each get a big fluffy hunk of bread. none of these little slivers all twisted and squished like our dear teachers do it. that's the big time, that is.
Let me tell you about the allergic. There's a girl in my ward who is allergic and I believe that they do bring their own bread. Every Sunday as the tray gets past to me I notice a little piece of kleenex with something wrapped up in it. At first I thought it was a rude person putting their gum in a piece of tissue and leaving it in the tray. Before I realized what it really was, I once gave it a bad look as it passed by me and the mom of the girl who's allergic was sitting right behind us and so nicely explained that she was allergic. Mystery solved.
The Hughes and the Nielsen ganged up on us and tried to hijack the sacrament bread with horrible potato flour bread until there was a massive uprising in complaints and the bishop got tired off all the faces people were making after partaking of the gluten free sacrament bread. We are now thankfully back to the fluffy white or pretend whole wheat kind. My kids couldn't be more thrilled. By the way, I make really awesome Challah bread, which in turn, makes really good French toast. Just thought I would let you know.
Post a Comment