Sunday, May 4, 2008

Thirty Times Thirty

Today is my sister Ellie's 30th birthday.
  1. Her husband, Mark, recently finished a stint in Iraq.
  2. During which she and her son lived with my parents.
  3. I miss her and can't wait until she returns to the Bay Area in October.
  4. Shortly after her return she will give birth to child number two.
  5. She plans on giving said child to me to raise.
  6. Ellie's real name is Giselle but she's always been Ellie in our family.
  7. She was named after the ballet Giselle so my mom forced her to be a ballerina.
  8. When Ellie tried to quit ballet at around 13, my mom gave her a tv if she'd continue.
  9. She ended up quitting, but she minored in dance at college. The girl can move.
  10. She's an RN so she serves as the family medical consultant.
  11. Ellie likes to work in the ER and she has many strange medical stories.
  12. The rest of the family is grateful for her medical background so she can take care of my parents when they get old and feeble.
  13. When Ellie was born she had a big strawberry birthmark on her head.
  14. My mom still thought she was the most beautiful baby in the world. Apparently the rest of us were chopped liver.
  15. Ellie has a tiny hole in one nostril where a nose ring used to live.
  16. Ellie had mononucleosis in high school even though she'd never kissed any boys.
  17. Ellie was the recipient of many bad perms as a child.
  18. She has good hair now, and a wicked widow's peak.
  19. She reads the magazine Real Simple and actually follows their advice.
  20. Her house is organized and immaculate.
  21. Especially the toilets because she is always barfing in them due to morning sickness.
  22. Ellie is afraid of microbes.
  23. Ellie can make anyone do anything and make them think it was their idea.
  24. She was present at the birth of three of my four children and was very useful.
  25. Ellie got to quit piano lessons because the teacher said she had no talent.
  26. She spent most of her high school years sequestered in her room or at her friend Lindsay's house.
  27. She is going on a fab vacation this summer to see her friend Andrea in Cambodia.
  28. Ellie might be the funniest sister.
  29. She's definitely the most fastidious.
  30. Ellie is my favorite sister. Shhh, don't tell the others.

Thirty was a tough age for me. Go wish her a happy one by clicking here.

13 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow, I am the first! It sounds like I would really like this Ellie. I too am and RN and like to gross people out with my stories and if my memory serves me right, I was the cutest baby in my family too.

Thanks for planning BP. It was SO much fun!

Jenibelle said...

After spending a weekend with my sisters, I would be hard pressed to think of 55 and 54 and 46 things to say about each of them. Except the 46 year old, she's fabulous!!! The other two? They are a bit odd. But kind. Kindly odd.

I wasn't the cutest baby in my family, it all started out bad.....

Ellie said...

Ellie can make anyone do anything and make them think it was their idea. Like writing a birthday blog.

Hollyween said...

Ellie and I are nearly the same age. I turn 30 in October. BOO.
And I also have a wicked widow's peak.

Blogapalooza was the bomb. You and Denae with all your hard work made it what it was. So, thank-you. You are so much fun, Celia. Seriously.

Nortorious said...

I read your Ellie post after I finished mine, just to see if we had any overlaps.
We do. She's clean and permy.

Nancy said...

I love #25! And how in the world did I not know she's going to Cambodia? I'm jealous.

Thank you again for BP... when is the next get together?

crystal said...

Happy Birthday to your sister Ellie! I love-love-LOVE her name!!!

#23 is going to come in handy as she parents through the teenage years. I am jealous of #23.

Tristan said...

What a nice post! Happy Birthday Ellie!

Paige said...

So we totally used the same material. if they read yours first and then mine, they can win. Study up, people.

Lauren in GA said...

Blast! I should have read this post first...then I would have done better on the quiz!

That is great she is moving to the Bay Area and will be giving you the baby ;)

Happy Birthday, Ellie!

Hazen5 said...

Happy Birthday Ellie!

I learned so much about Ellie, I should have gone here before taking Paige's Quiz!

Robin said...

Happy Birthday Ellie.

Celia - you are my sister from another mother. I really like you and think we should travel together. Thanks for Blogapalooza.

Jenna Harris said...

Happy birthday to Ellie!!! Really? 30 bugged you? Didn't bother me a bit.

Thanks for BP!!! I would put more exclamation points, but it would start to look stupid.

Next BP Ellie should not be pregnant or barfing and then she can come too. Then we can decide who's our favorite sister. You've got my vote.