Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Automatic Psychosomatic

Me and Ro, we're like twins. Except I'm cuter and she's richer and I like boys and she used to like Kelli Carpenter but now she likes Tracy Kachtick-Anders. We both have four kids and we share an illness, though. Twins, I tell you.

Do you know any sickly people? The kind of people that are always "coming down with something?" Aren't they annoying? I always think there is something psychologically wrong with sickly people. Like they want to be sick so people will pay attention to them.


I'm one of them now. I've had three illnesses that have required multiple doctor visits in the past month. I've been on four antibiotics and other wonderful drugs. I feel like an old person. I need one of those pill organizers, but not just the day of the week kind. I need an hourly pill organizer.


My husband has been accompanying me to the last round of doctor visits. We enter waiting rooms and take our seats next to the senior citizen couples and we feel right at home. Carl has to come because I can't drive, and so he can learn how to take care of me. There's nothing like wound management to bring the romance alive in a relationship. Is this only the beginning? Are the Depends next?


Carl's one of those people who is concerned about the vector of illness. If someone gets sick in our family, he tracks down the original person with the illness and then blames them. I've been washing everything we own maniacally, but I suspect he will be ordering his own personal clean suit soon.


I'm annoyed because it is January and I had plans. I was ready to get back on the exercise and food regulation wagon, but now I am cancelling my gym membership and investigating ways to build my immune system. V-8, anyone? Any other ideas about foods I can eat that will help me? I am so over being sickly. I want my real body back.

31 comments:

Terri OConnor said...

The restorative powers of chicken soup have been verified. Its best if you can get someone else to make it! Sorry your sick. Ill let you know when I start on the depends and you'll have about 10 years of a dry bottom.

Hillary said...

i'd pick you over rosie any day! hang in there. I'm sending you an email.. if i can find your address...

Good Time Charlie said...

I am a terrible, terrible friend. I had no idea you were so sick! You just had a streak of yukky illnesses, you are far from being one of those sickly people. I know a few people like that, and they have passed this problem onto their children. They constantly have a flu, a cold, or some other virus that affects their ability to follow through with life.

For health foods, I swear by Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast every morning. Also, a Diet Pepsi at noon keeps your energy stores going. Chocolate is full of antioxidants. I recommend Dark Sees for maximum enjoyment. An occasional bucket of popcorn at the movies does dual duty as well. Movie = relaxation, which ups your immune system and the popcorn provides a good source of fiber to keep things moving along. Feel better soon!

Jennie said...

I like Good Time Charlie's food suggestions! They are some of my favorite.

Here is another thing you could try. Over the past year, I have discovered I swear by it. However, based on your situation, I'm not sure if it applies. I know you had Staph - sorry about that - but not sure what else.

Anywho... for immune boosters and natural antibiotics, go to your health food store and get Grapefruit Seed Extract (I prefer the capsule - liquid you need to mix with 1/4 glass grape juice to get it down - nasty stuff I tell ya) and also get Elderberry capsules. They both help a ton and I swear I am starting to feel better the next day after I take them at the onset of an illness. Good luck and keep us posted (when you feel like blogging). Being sick is so not fun.

Jeanelle said...

I love that even though you're super sick, you already know who Rosie's new girlfriend is.

diane said...

I wish a shrink could fix me.

My driver just got a real job. I'm scrambling to find a replacement.

You even make staph amusing. Feel better.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i thought of you when i read about rosie last night.

i am curious about the "wound management" part. what does that mean?

my good health tip is to drink water all day long. multiple bottles or glasses. flush the system, baby. flush it.

Hollyween said...

Ya know, I stood up for Rosie for a LONG time because I still think she can be pretty dang funny. Remember when she had her own talk show? I mean, she was funny and I loved her!! But boy has she gone downhill.

Oh yeah. This is about YOU not Ro. I seriously hope you start feeling better. Staph sucks. Is it MRSA? I've heard that is TERRIBLE!!!! Please take care of yourself and take all your meds. One time I got ecoli and had to be on like three rounds of antibiotics. I swear to this day that it was the antibiotics that made me so sick for like a year because they weaken your immune system and take all your good stuff with it and then you are stuck getting sick all the time... and on more antibiotics. But when can you do? You need those things when you need them. Am I right? Hang in there. My mother would say that you should cleanse and get on some Isagenix ionix. And probably a bowel cleanse too. But if you do that please don't share cuz that's gross.

Sally said...

Airborne. Target has their own version, the orange/tangerine/whatever isn't too bad when you add it to hot water. I drink 3-4 per day when I'm sick and I always seem to get better, fast.
Also, probiotics. I really think they help with immunity, and they are a must when you're on antibiotics so that you don't have terrible bloating and digestive problems. You can go crazy on the yogurt, or take pills, or I take these chewable wafers and they taste good.

I am so sorry you've been sick. It sucks.

Jessica said...

I thought about Rosie immediately upon reading the staph infection post and clicked on the link because I didn't know Rosie had a girlfriend. This is why we need you in blogland.

I shouldn't even start with the sick people issues because I could go on for hours.

But you are not a sickly person if it only lasts one month and it's only you. Sickly people are perpetual and they drag their children into their sickly web.

Lauren in GA said...

Celia, I am so, so, sorry! Staph, as I know you know, is so, so serious and can be deadly. I know you know that but, man...that is SCARY.

Do you have to pack the wound? I am so nosy...I want to know all of the gory details...I guess that is rude of me.

queenieweenie said...

Celia...I am so, so, SO sorry you are sick and I hope you are on the mend soon.

I'm tired and my dieting brain can't think of anything funny to say.

Lauren in GA said...

I missed your staph post...I haven't been able to be on the computer very much in the past few days but I just saw it on my dasboard...did you take it down or is my computer acting up?

Sally said...

Nature's Bounty. That is who makes the acidophilus wafers. I have seen them at Longs, I get them at Fresh&Easy.

Nature's BOUNTY, not Nature's Booty.

Jenibelle said...

Diet Pepsi, Chocolate and lots and lots and lots of sleep. Works for me every time.

My kids want to know if there is going to be an amputation? That's boys for you.


Maybe you and Byronie can be roommates in sick bay?

Unknown said...

Get one of those Vitamix you see demonstrated at Costco every so often. You can blend and purify almost any fruit and/or vegetable and get all the amazing health benefits of those things.
Also, it is a powerful fiber blast through your system. Lots of health gurus swear by eating lots of whole fruits and veggies and Vitamix is a good way to go.

Lisa-Marie said...

Ugh. I am so sorry. Majorly crummy. And i'm with Lauren, I like gory details too. I apparently missed the staph post as well.

I was going to say the same thing as Sally about the acidophilous/probiotics. They help keep your system on track while on so many antibiotics.

PLEASE let yourself be taken care of. People want to help. Sure wish I could bring over some soup. Love ya.

Robin said...

Lots of very good advice on here. I would add - watch funny movies ( romantic comedies are great, you've got mail, the proposal, when harry met sally, princess bride, miss congeniality, notting hill, sleepless in seattle, never been kissed,...) listen to awesome music, make your house smell good, hire a housekeeper until you feel better.

You need to not only eat healthy and sleep lots, but you need to create a sunny cheering environment. Find a patch of sun and relax in it without sunscreen - just take a long cat nap. If I were there I would bring you some Scentsy in a yummy scent, tidy up the house and feed you homemade tomato soup. Then we would laugh for a while.

Ellie said...

This post makes me want to wash my hands.

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I hope you are on the mend. My 8 yr old had a battle with Staph infections this year on her leg... such a nightmare... we could not clear up the infection then she was horribly allergic to the antibiotic that they gave her to clear it up which caused a whole nother set of problems....
Like I said, i hope you are feeling better and SOON!!
Melissa

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

sorry you're so sick. hopefully, with some of the suggestions you've been given, you'll be on the mend soon.

here are two suggestions i'd like to add to help boost your immune system. Vitamin d3 and the probiotic- Kefir (it's like a drinkable yogurt, we buy it at Ralph's, but pretty sure it's sold in most grocery stores. we like the blueberry flavor, but the others are pretty darn good too.)

hope you're feeling better soon!

Gingerbreadmama said...

Celia, I'm sorry you've been so sick! Hang in there. You are lucky to have a good man by your side to help take care of you!

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry you're sick.... I hope you take up all the great sugestions from your friends. Don't worry about being sick alot... its just your time. Get well soon.

Jake said...

Oh my goodness. Staph? Can Claire just stay home from school for a few weeks and run things? Keep us posted, please.

ajjdnndm'smom said...

Talk about daily doses....oh, weren't you talking about that?

Well, your blog is one of my daily doses but so is your sister's...as in Paige...when did she go private? What is up with that? Isn't the world her stage? I NEED to be invited....can you give me her e-mail?

And, well, we will not go into what it feels like to begetting older.....

Celia Fae said...

My next post is a review of all of these methods. There are so many I need a list. I'm going to be the healthiest person ever.

Sally said...

Ellie, you are awesome.

Unknown said...

I had no idea you were sick - which doesn't reflect too positively on my attentiveness as a brother-in-law. I'm not sure what you have, but I wish you a speedy recovery in any case.

After you recover, you might want to tell your elected representatives to do something about the dangerous nontherapeutic use of antibiotics in the beef, pork and poultry industries. Widespread antibiotic abuse by these industries is systematically creating more dangerous strains of bacteria, and reducing the effectiveness of the antibiotics we have.

Anonymous said...

Eat Goji berries, drink pomegranate juice, Eat a tablespoon of chia seeds soaked in water, take a shot of Acai every day, eat dark chocolate...it's all about antioxidants...it will keep you healthy and feeling good. Lots of these things clean you out, give you energy and make you feel good. Diet Coke, sleep, exercise and prayer all help too.

Mama Coons said...

I believe the best thing you can do is Sleep! Then all those fighters in the blood system with the white hats can go to work. You will get better...it's just your "sick season"! Opposition is trying to get even with all that exercise and good eating...fight back by sleeping more!

Ellie said...

Dear everyone who suggested sleep,

If Celia slept anymore, she'd be dead.

He he he.