We aren't Jewish, but we made sure one of us showed up at my parents house every day. They were always a little surprised when we arrived, but it helped us to do something for them and I think it helped them be distracted also.
When I lost my babies, my sisters and friends arranged more shiva. It was a different experience being a recipient. Someone showed up every day and it forced me to get out of bed and put on makeup. Sometimes we'd talk about sad stuff, sometimes we'd talk about celebrities. My People mag intake was greatly improved during this time. We did a lot of retail therapy and eating and drinking of peppermint hot chocolate. Then they'd leave and I'd take a nap and then my kids came home to distract me some more. It really helped me get through that first week and I would highly recommend this course of action to people who are wondering what to do for someone who is grieving.
Other notes to self re helping grieving people:
- Gifts of food = good.
- Gifts of fruits and vegs = good also because then you don't feel so bad about all of the junk.
- Dropping stuff off = great.
- Cards, phone calls, notes, comments of caring are excellent and really do help.
- Including people in your prayers seems to work for sad person.
- Stopping by is good and having people run interference in case you don't want visitors is better.
- Acknowledging sad person is way better than ignoring situation even though acknowledging is harder.
- Crying before sad person cries is kind of a bummer because then sad person starts crying and sad person might be trying not to cry.
- A good gift for sad person might be waterproof mascara and tissues.
I hope none of you have to sit shiva anytime soon and I hope the prayers are helping those poor families in Connecticut.

6 comments:
So grateful for families. Not sure what we would do without them. They have to love us no matter what. So glad you have such a supportive network around you. I hope each of those families in CT have similar networks to help them through this unthinkable time. Sniff.
I feel like we should sit shiva for them but then we'd have to acknowledge it like adults rather than avoid all media and pretend like everything is ok.
Also Alex is looking at Cam's rack in that picture. At least we can admit brains can only get you so far, boobs take you the rest of the way (*thxNor).
I'm glad you're taking the time to grieve. I think my instinct would be to try to power through and people have said that's not a good idea. I've been thinking about you.
This list was helpful to me. I need to make sure I don't cry when I am trying to comfort someone. I don't want them to feel like they have to comfort me...when I'm trying to comfort them...
I love your family.
If I knew that I could of had shiva after my husband passed that would of been a real help. I just love it when we can learn so much from other sisters.
May you be blessed always,
DuSyl
Post a Comment