The picture sums up my current eating plan. Need I say more?
I've been mostly vegan for over a year now. August 1 was my year mark. Since that time I've lost 30 lbs, which isn't that impressive considering how much weight I had to lose previously to finally land at a healthy BMI. Nevertheless, I feel good and I continue to be surprised at how easy it is for me to abstain from meat and dairy products.
I realize that calling myself "mostly vegan" is a contradiction. I do eat some fish about once a week, mostly when I go out. If I simply must have a bowl of Cheerios, only real milk will suffice. If there happens to be bacon in the salad dressing, I won't pick it out. I try to use any of those animal products as a seasoning rather than a main course. It has become second nature.
The biggest hurdle I have come against is my wicked mistress, Sugar. I do love those baked goods. I just finished an eight week period of complete adherence to the principles of Eat to Live, during which I managed to break myself of the sugar habit once again. I can manage all of my intake a lot better if I don't have sugar cravings to contend with.
I weaned myself off of sugar the second week of August knowing that I would indulge just a little on Labor Day. Once I was off of it, it was no problem to forgo baked products. Then on Labor Day I partook. The next week while I was failing to get through three days without sugar, I realized that it really is an addiction. I spent a whole morning in bed one Saturday feeling sorry for myself and wondering if life was even worth living without a little sweetness to look forward to. Ugly. I managed to stay off of it for the rest of the eight weeks....
Since I am working on weight maintenance rather than loss I give myself more leeway. I still eat the same delicious plant based foods but I'm not super structured. I've been trying a new thing where I try to eat every three hours. I set a timer. It helps me with snacking, which is where I tend to get into trouble. It cracks me up because it reminds me of feeding a newborn. Who's the baby? It's me.
Ahh, the before and after. I always have to inspect people's weight loss photos because I'm nosy like that. I actually considering doing a bathing suit shot just for your satisfaction, not because I look great in one. I just look like a normal adult woman with a lot of cellulite and some weird veins. Nothing anyone wants to see.
I still maintain I was happy before. I just have more knowledge now.

23 comments:
That's so weird to see that before pic. I never remember you as looking "chubby" though now next to your after, you do. Is that bad to say? Also, I'm wondering how I would have dealt with your diet if I had been there. Maybe I would've been inspired and had my own "after" picture. MAYBE, I would have ruined it for you with my bread and cookies...I'm philosophically torn. You're my shrink, what say you? Something like, "oh, go can some peaches..."
You look like a different person!! I applaud your ability to stay away from sugar. I am an addict and I don't mind feeding the addiction. I hope one day I do mind because it is awful! Anyway, kudos to you. But not the real ones...too much sugar.
You have done fabulous! I am addicted to sugar as well and it must go away, I hope to get my cravings away and remotivated next week.
I will be posting my before and after pictures next week on my 1 year anniversary of starting last year - so you will get a before and after to see then.
I like your before and after because you were really cute before--and you are still really cute and also totally skinny now! I have been thinking a lot about what you once said about only being able to eat strictly for 6 week periods or so. It's so true. I have to have a time off to look forward to. But it's nice to think of that time (be it Labor Day or a couple months) as being a "time off" rather than the new me.
I don't think I could leave sugar forever. And I would totally bemoan a life without it. . .. I mean, what is the purpose of THAT??? I guess it comes down to control, and controlling the cravings. Sugar seems to be a big factor in a lot of things though. Still not where I want to be, and not sure I am ready to give up sugar to get there!!
I love your philosophy on health. I think you look beautiful and happy in both the before and after picture. Well done!
P.S. I was at Costco the other day and purchased a bag of sprouted beans and thought of you...is that weird? I'm an on again off again vegan but nearly full time vegetarian. I'm beyond labels. :)
Wow, I am with Carol, I really didn't see you like this through my eyes when you are this weight, but every time I see you now, it still surprises me a bit how thin you are! And I don't mean that in a catty way, I just mean, it is really amazing and you look fantastic. PS I am terribly sorry that I may have contributed to the nasty sugar addiction on Labor Day weekend. Since I am a bit of dealer in this drug, you may have to limit your time at my home. ;)
you are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!
Delurking to say, you look fantastic!! But even more than how you look I'm impressed and inspired by your committment to do this for yourself and the discipline and will power it must have taken to make one small choice at a time to get you where you wanted to be. Thanks for posting this. I wanted to ask about exercise too, do you also have a pretty active lifestyle?
You are beautiful and inspiring. Always have been always will be. I'm thankful to call you friend. You are a good example!
So who ate the frosted, chocolate-chip infused brownies stashed on top of my refrigerator?
P.S. I think Diet Coke contributes to the sugar cravings. At least it does for me.
Oh mom is GOOD. No pumpkin cake tonight? it looks like you were wearing a fat suit. A really cute fat suit. I want my fat suit to go away too.
I honestly feel like I am gonna cry. I'm not kidding. I feel like a proud mom. I am so, so, PROUD of you. It is AMAZING.
I started crying yesterday...I just kept thinking, "Will the weight loss be hard every single freakin' day? Will it always be this agonizing?" I understand completely what you man when you say, "I spent a whole morning in bed one Saturday feeling sorry for myself and wondering if life was even worth living without a little sweetness to look forward to." It is really, really hard. And I am amazed by you and so proud.
Hotness!
Great post! I am fighting the sugar monster too. I know once I get over that I am on my way. Thanks for such a motivating post. You are doing a lot of good things Celia! Love you!
i agree with Ashley....beautiful before and now....you amazed me with your determination to lose the weight. So proud of you and what you did with your own determination and diet. you go girl!!
Beautiful before. Beautiful after.
You are truly an inspiration. That being said, your after picture does not do you justice. Wear a tight t shirt and not a sweater with big shoulders to show us how fabulous you really look!
You look hot in all the pics (hot and happy).
I have you to thank for my eating habits as I only had the guts (haha) to do the plant based diet after you did it (and posted about it).
The thing I like most about this way of eating is that once you get over the cravings... you feel like you control the food not the other way around. Have no idea why I am telling you this ... you are the poster child for Dr F and know this already!!!
Anyway you look great and I bet you feel great too.
Nothing I like Better than a weight loss post with before and after and eating plan details.
I get You on the sugar. Total addiction.
Hi Celia, you look really content and beautiful! It is inspirational to read of someone who successfully met their weight loss goals without starving, pills, or powders. Good for you for gaining the knowledge and then having the fortitude to stick with it. I have a few questions for you: do you feel different physically? More energy? Less aches and pains? How about emotionally and psychologically? Do you perceive yourself differently than before and what about the people you interact with on a daily basis? Do they treat you differently? Those close to you but also mere acquaintances?
One more thing: a tip. Since you mentioned you have dairy occasionally, ask Karen for our secret sister Hot Chocolate recipe. It's a daily indulgence we all enjoy that is actually good for you as well as delicious.
Coming out of the stalker closet to say that last May I was blog hopping and went from Nor's (we have a mutual friend) to yours and ended up on your Eat to Live post. I was totally intrigued and borrowed the book from a friend. My husband and I jumped on board and he has lost 33 pounds and I've lost 15. We are so much healthier and happier. So THANKS from some strangers in MT.
-Kelli
Post a Comment