Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To Not Stuff Everything in Your Mouth



Following the indulgence festival that is Mother's Day, I'm recommitting to healthy eating. Again. I'm re-recommitting. I think I'm going to be re-re-re-re-committing again for the rest of my life.

I've learned after two plus years of trying to lose weight that it helps me if I have structure and plans for eating. I do best if I commit to six weeks of a fairly strict diet and then take a week or so off. Here are some games I play with myself that seem to help me control myself:


  1. I choose a start date and an end date. Five or six weeks works best for me. I usually plan my end date around a vacation or holiday or some delicious eating event. So many holidays! So little time!




  2. If I am doing a new plan, I gather information and appropriate food (aka dump a bunch of money at the grocery store).




    I'm still following the Eat to Live plan that includes as much produce as I want, beans as protein, and limited grain. It makes me feel great. I have no problem including meat and dairy in my "tempting food" but I don't eat it as a general rule.





  3. For the first few days, I track what I eat in writing so I can get back into the habit of being mindful. Yesterday's list was out of control. I had to make sure the cookies were gone by eating one tiny bite at a time. Then I'd write it down: one tiny bite. How many tiny bites make a cookie?




  4. I set a modest goal for myself. I can only expect to lose a pound a week if I'm trying to lose. I'm satisfied with my weight now but it creeps back up way too fast. I feel like I'm going to jinx myself by saying "satisfied with my weight." Knock on wood.




  5. I keep a written record of my daily weight. I've been doing this for two years and it helps me keep on track when I feel like I'm not progressing. Tuesdays is when I pay the piper for the weekend, so avoid me on Tuesdays because it makes me grumpy.




  6. I keep a list in my bag or on my phone of food that tempts me. Somehow writing down the food helps me feel less deprived. Want to know what's on my list? Baked things, and also cheesy things. French toast, enchiladas, Hawaiian pizza, brownies, it goes on and on. All delicious. All satisfied.




  7. I give myself one meal a week when I can indulge, but it has to be planned, like a dinner date or party. Then, I try to be modest in my consumption. I can't decide what special meal I'm having this week. There's a mother appreciation dinner, but also dinner with my friends. And what about Sunday dinner? So many choices.





  8. If I find that I can't resist temptation, I try to take only two bites. Studies show that the first two bites of any food are the best, and after that you are just trying to recreate the initial enjoyment. You're always chasing your original high. Who needs crack? I've got food.




  9. When I reach my end date, I review my list of "tempting foods" and choose which ones I will eat. Then I eat it without remorse. I usually eat around one "tempting food" a day for a week or so. I'd like to tell you that the "tempting food" isn't as good as I think it's going to be, except that it is. I make sure of that. No wasting my options on substandard French toast.




  10. After about ten days, I start feeling gross and ready to go back on my stricter plan, which is convenient because I really need to.



I'm going to have to be diligent all of the rest of my days which makes me feel overwhelmed. Enduring to the end doesn't sound challenging until you actually have to do it. May the force be with all of us.








16 comments:

Donna said...

Cute post. I can so relate because I'm doing some of those same things! Good luck!!

Christie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your temptation list. I am so going to do that. My problem lately is that everyday I am eating my temptation foods. And then I am sick and mad. And then I swear to start fresh the next morning. Where, oh where has my motivation gone? I needed this post more than you will know. Thanks for sharing, sista.

Jeanelle said...

Loved this! I'm doing WW and it's been going great so far but I of course have my days where I am ravenous and cannot fill the gaping hole inside of me. I love the two bites of the treat suggestion and will be doing that from here on out. My mom asked for manicotti and Denae's mint brownies for Mother's Day and I was so happy that I could have one piece/tube of manicotti and half a brownie and feel satisfied (and that I wasn't being punished with smaller portions.) I prefer smaller portions now...love going to bed not sickly full and then waking up hungry. I feel so much more in control instead of all whacked out on our drug of choice.

Suzanne said...

Ugh...I'm so right there with you! Getting ready to start my 6 weeks of pretty strict eating. I always love those 6 weeks. =J

Elizabeth said...

The Eat to Live plan rocks for shizzle!
You are spot on with all your observations and the line of the day is "Enduring to the end doesn’t sound challenging until you actually have to do it". Story of my (eating) life.
I have no temptation food!!! Don’t ever want to eat crap again, no golden highs that I need to relive BUT I am so so lazy. It is a constant effort to prep and keep one meal ahead. Did I mention I’m lazy?
Thanks for this post. I am on day 5of being super strict (read super organised) and it all helps.
PS Wow this comment was about me me me. Good luck Celia and may the force be with you indeed.

Lorie said...

Indulge at dinner with friends...

Jessica said...

Amen sister. Thanks for this. I'm always curious about where you are at, eating wise. Thanks for the update. I'm 6 lbs away from my goal and am trying to get it in my head that very little will change diet-wise if I want to maintain. Darn.

Circe said...

OK, now I'm inspired all over again. I think I'll re-re-recommit to my health plan! Thanks!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm exhausted reading this. that is so much work! you shoudl lose weight just thinking about how you're going to do it!

Kimberly said...

Re-recommitting today. :) My biggest problem is getting ahead of the curve- having a plan and my food ready to go.
I haven't tried many of your tricks and I will. I wish what Andrea said was true.

Lauren in GA said...

I found this really, really helpful. I am failing at the Medifast. It is so FREAKIN' gross.

#8 really, really fascinates me. I am going to try the two bite thing...the, "chasing your original high" was kind of an, "ah-ha" moment for me. I had never thought of that.

Nortorious said...

I'm amazed at how much success and commitment you have to this project. Such discipline. You're a food jedi.

queenieweenie said...

I just finished 12 weeks today of following the "Eat to Live" program. I LOVE IT! I'm down 19 lbs. and my cholesterol dropped like a rocket! (246 to 171) I feel awesome.

I still have some weight to lose, but I know I can and I know this works. Love your tips. I think weight loss is such a "process". You have to find what works for you and continually recommit to following it. I don't think you are ever "done".

Thanks for being part of my inspiration. You look mahvelous dahling!!!

Good Time Charlie said...

You are making me feel so guilty about the 4 pieces of Sees Candy I ate right in front of my kids on Mother's Day and then announced I wasn't sharing one piece of it. I did end of sharing a bit, but I am enjoying the good stuff myself. I am with Lori, we need to go out so you have a good reason to indulge.

Robin said...

Excellent post as today I am re-committing to the 6 week plan. So far so good and it's already 8:00 AM! Awesome! I'm gonna rock this body. I liked your start date/end date. I think I will blog about that today.

I love you!

Emily said...

My friend does a similar thing with "tempting" foods in that she places them on a mental plate on the shelf (all imaginary in her mind). At the end of the day, she looks at that plate of food: doughnuts that someone brought into work, a slice of birthday cake, etc. etc. and she feels healthy and happy and sort of like, "Look at ALL that junk food that I did not eat today!"

Of course, I think this works best if you are eating a ton of nutrient dense food so that you don't have hunger pangs.

One indulgent meal a week reminds me of Body for Life's one day a week (usually Saturday or Sunday) of less nutritious foods. I think the problem for me is that it would be enough to create the appetite, and then for the rest of the week I'm craving but denying myself. If I make a clean break for a few weeks, then the cravings leave and I don't want that food, and I feel emotionally happier and more stable.

But I like this, I like how it lays out a longterm plan. I've been trying to figure out what the life-long plan after the 6-week plan is going to be for me. :)