Saturday, November 22, 2008

Stand Up, Speak Up, Shut Up




Proven Locations for Authoring a Superior Talk in Church:



  • Traffic school, where I deserved to be following a "California" stop. Note: the slimy traffic school attendees were not able to help me with scripture references.

  • On a shaky airplane tray while my toddler slept after a trip to Zion.

  • On the back of the carpool list when some jerk parked in the pickup line.

  • During an extra long awards ceremony at my kid's school.

  • Dante's Inferno, otherwise known as the Urgent Care Clinic on a Saturday night.

  • At the soccer field while my kid sat out. There were more than enough minutes.

  • While waiting for my kid to Scout for Food

  • Bus on the way home from girls camp at Treasure Mountain.

  • Shirley Lake chairlift at Squaw Valley.

  • On the back page of "Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.

  • At the Girl Scout Cookie booth by Bank of America. More than once. Intelligence was enhanced by Thin Mints.

  • In a tent in the snow when I was 16 and my leaders tortured me. That talk was written with my bloody fingertips in the snow.

  • The Wagon Wheel motel in Lovelock on the way home from college while listening for a serial killer to come and get me.

  • In Carl's parents backyard smelling ham with mustard and knowing that I better get an EPT because the smell made me sick.
  • Tunnels Beach in Kauai at sunset. And no, it doesn't get any better than that.

14 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Great picture! Henry looks so cute!

I truly enjoyed reading about all of these locations to create a great talk. My personal favorite was the discovery of the need for an EPT test while preparing your talk.

Man, you have had to speak in church a lot.

Robin said...

You must be a great speaker. i want to read the talk you wrote in blood on the snow. Just a little drama right?

Nancy said...

Was I on that snow trip? If it's the one I think it is, snowcamping in Yosemite, I remember it as the one my mom said I didn't have to go and Alice Bolen insisted my mom make me. Turned out to be my most memorable and growing experience of young women. It's been used as an example MANY times! Guess it was inspiring for many...

Paige said...

Impressive that you remembered all that, even if it wasn't true! I love that picture of Henry. Adorable.

Bridget said...

Is this really true? Can you really remember all your geographic places of inspiration? I'm impressed. Or humored.

Brigitta said...

does this mean that you are writing a talk because my husband won't be there today to speak?????????????????

Kath said...

That's a lot of talks!!

Lorena said...

Hey...you have good spots! For my proscrastinator husband it is usually in the chapel during announcments and the administration of the Sacrament.

Ashley said...

Gotta love Lovelock. I would love to hear one of your talks. I bet they're awesome.

Good Time Charlie said...

Those are great places for inspiration. Mine is much more boring. I do my best thinking in the shower, or while doing the laundry. Lots of laundry=lots of contemplative thought time.

Kimberly said...

That is a lot of talks!! However, why you would write one while at Tunnels is beyond me.

Hazen5 said...

You are a great multi-tasker! Teach me more.

queenieweenie said...

What we do as mommies!

Ilene said...

Wow, it seems your talks were at least written during daylight hours. Mine are always written around midnight on Sunday morning. I'm most spiritual when under pressure.

I like Carl's tie, by the way. Good choice.