Sunday, August 3, 2008

Proof is in the Pictures.

A bishop of a ward is lay clergy, meaning he doesn't earn his living being a bishop and he is chosen from among the people of the congregation. It's a hard job but I'm sure it is rewarding and fulfilling.
In my stake, bishops usually serve about five years. The bishop of my congregation has been serving 5 1/2 years so people are starting to speculate. There's a great game that all Mormons play, even if they don't admit it. It's called "Who's Going to Be the Next Bishop."
If I were a man, I would never worry about being called as a bishop for the following reasons:
I arrive at church late.
I let my kids wander the halls during sacrament meeting.
I get paper towels wet and throw them at the bathroom ceiling. I make sure I leave some ID behind.
I throw hall parties.

I use the paper cutter in the library to give my children trims.
I "borrow" the audiovisual equipment from the secret closet.
I make photocopies of my face.
I set off the fire alarm when the meetings are overtime.
I misappropriate first aid items, especially aspirin.
I make long distance calls from the hall phone.
I tie up my nursery co-worker.
I eat on Fast Sunday.
Thank you for not considering me.

33 comments:

Annemarie said...

The thing is...it's your hubby that's being watched. He'll get the calling with "first order of business" being to tame his wild wife. Nice try.
(Unless I totally missed the mark here)

Jenibelle said...

Someone should take away your keys to the church. You may be safe since you lack an important element, but what does Carl do that would exclude him?

I've heard that they pick the most spectacular woman in the ward and then call her husband as Bishop.
I wouldn't count him out...

Anonymous said...

No wonder you're stuck in Nursery!

Candise said...

Haaaahaaa! I have been a lurker for sometime...but I have to let you know that you have my vote for Bishop! Thanks for making me laugh - regularly!

Ellie said...

Oh you're asking for it now.

Lisa Cannon said...

I'm the Nursery Leader in our ward. Nursery is great!

Was I the only one who used the church phone to call those party lines they used to have while I should have been at Mutual?

Anonymous said...

OMG Girl you crack me up! I'd be more concerned that you'd get called to be in Young Women! LOL! You really belong in Nursery hun, you're a nut!

terahreu said...

For sure your husband will be called as bishop now! He would be the only one who could keep you tame during church.

Now you're in trouble!

terahreu said...

Celia,

This is Axel.

I laughed so hard at this I think a little bit o pee came out.

I have been trying a few of these but I will use them all now.

It is better than the 'lighting up a cigar in sacrament' technique I have been using up to now. When I cough so much I think everyone knows I am just trying to get out of bish or EQP...

Robin said...

I think the pants at church would have done the job. But it is nice to see that you are going the extra mile.

You know the New Bishop will call a new Relief Society president...watch out!

Brigitta said...

Oh, it's a coming.... I can feel the vibes. Watch out Carl, how else could HF tame you. He works in mysterious ways.

Liz said...

Aspirin is just a given if you're a nursery leader. And as long as you're willing to serve in that capacity, they will tolerate (forgive) just about anything else!!

Good Time Charlie said...

O.K., TMI from Axel!!!! I laughed pretty hard too. Don't you have better things to do at church, like cleaning out your purse during a boring sacrament talk? (not that I would do such a thing). ps Does the paper cutter make a nice clean cut on the hair? Would save me lots of time since I am a do my own hair cut on my kids kind of a person.

Jessica said...

You better hurry up and delete that super spiritual scripture study post, if you want to really guarantee you get passed over.

Shannon said...

That was hilarious... thanks for the laugh!

Christie said...

Why didn't I think of using the trimmer in the library for haircuts for the kids? That would save me all the time spent waiting at Great Clips perusing the crappy hair magazines.

You always think of the good ideas first.

Tristan said...

I am cringing at the paper cutter "trim"!

Anonymous said...

You're such a naughty Mormon. I love it. I was hoping the proof pictures were Paige running...?

Chrissy, said...

You crack me up! How do you think up all these funny post!!

Good Time Charlie said...

O.K., TMI from Axel!!!! I laughed pretty hard too. Don't you have better things to do at church, like cleaning out your purse during a boring sacrament talk? (not that I would do such a thing). ps Does the paper cutter make a nice clean cut on the hair? Would save me lots of time since I am a do my own hair cut on my kids kind of a person.

Lauren in GA said...

I laughed so hard at this one. You are so hilarious....I think you will make a superb Bishop's wife.


Are you mad at me, now?

Celia?


Seriously, this was a fantastic post.
Our Bishop is moving...when people say dumb things to us like I just said to you I say, "Mike smokes."

Margaret said...

I love that your blogging knows no bounds!

Lorie said...

Your asking for it--hope you enjoy being the bishop's wife...

GO Gray's said...

You are going STRAIGHT to Hell!!!! I thought you'd add the bringing a cooler of soda to church too.

Stephanie said...

You are too funny!

Jeff Olson said...

Carl is definitely next...

I think I sealed my fate about 20 years ago when I owned those restaurants (remember?) and an overzealous employee (and unbeknownst to me) decided to put flyers on all the cars in OUR CHURCH parking lot on Mothers day Sunday advertising a 10 percent (appropriate huh?) discount for a brunch special.

My church file has a big asterix by my name...

gab said...

Ohhhhh Celia! I have missed you so. Thank you for not going celestial over my summer vacation!

I'm secretly hoping it's Carl because it will make for excellent blogging!

Adrianne said...

never say never to being the bishop's wife...

Nancy said...

You make me laugh! I agree with Jeni... you're not off the hook yet. :)

Sarah said...

Celia you're hilarious!

Anna said...

I think you're safe for bishop. But Stake RS might be in the wings. You have the right coat on. The hair works too.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ilene said...

I will never view a paper cutter quite the same again.

Who needs bishop? You are going to stake president.