Monday, August 4, 2008

Brace Face

Max (13 and 11 1/2 months) with braces.
Braces: What Worked For Us
  • Shopping around for a good orthodontist with decent prices.
  • Hiring a talented but grumpy ortho.
  • Having my child be afraid of the grumpy ortho so they would comply.
  • Sending my husband to the ortho with the child so that he could suffer non-compliance wrath.
  • Making friends with the office people so that I could change appointments at will.
  • Nagging child to wear rubber bands.
  • Threatening child to wear rubber bands.
  • Extracting pounds of flesh from children who did not wear rubber bands.
  • Getting a tub of ice cream and throwing a scoop away every time child fails to wear rubber bands.
  • Making every privilege contingent on rubber band compliance.
  • Telling husband that if child is still wearing braces by October he'll have to shell out an extra 80 bucks a month.
  • Husband nagging child to wear rubber bands.
  • ACT fluoride mouthwash.
  • Advil and Jamba Juice.


Braces: What Didn't Work For Us

  • Hiring a grumpy orthodontist of whom I am also afraid.
  • Having the ortho's office located forty minutes from our home.
  • Special floss needles. Yeah, flossing never happened. Ever.
  • Nagging child to wear rubber bands.
  • Threatening child to wear rubber bands.
  • Withholding privileges for non-compliance.
  • Ensuring rubber band ownership when child travels.
  • Going to an out-of-state ortho to obtain rubber bands and giving them to EFY child so that he could fail to wear rubber bands.
  • Adjusting braces ourselves with needle nose pliers because the ortho is just too far away.


Max with today's brand new smile.
There's no excuse for bad teeth.

18 comments:

Jenibelle said...

This morning at 6:50 am, he introduced himself in Seminary.
"I'm Max and today I get my braces off."
The Nostradamus in me said...
"You're the blog tonight..."

Duh.

LOOKIN' GOOOOOOOOOD MAX!

Lisa Cannon said...

Not looking forward to braces. Will is going to start his 1st phase in September. I've been warned that all of our kids need braces by my father in law Dentist. At least I get a family discount at our ortho!

I never wore my elastics, so I was forced to wear metal springs. You should have threatened him with that!

I agree...no excuse!

shauna said...

What a beautiful smile.


If the retainer gets broken, spend the hundred bucks to get a new one says the lady who needs braces AGAIN. They are much more expensive the second time around.

Ellie said...

He should steal those retractors. They'd be useful for a lot of things.

Stephanie said...

Uggh! I am not looking forward to that. Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Pineapple Princess. The retainer is a must. Crooked teeth again but not willing to do braces for the 2nd time.

He looks awesome!

Lauren in GA said...

Those teeth look GREAT!

I lost my retainer a lot...at least the braces were attached to my teeth.

Not that Max would loose his retainer...

Christie said...

Jeni's comment cracked me up.

I always wanted braces, but now after reading this, I'm not sure I could have hacked it. My mother nagged me enough as it was. Took privledges away for offenses much less than not wearing rubber brands.

Yeah, braces and me? Not meant to be.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the tips. I never had braces and so this foray into a world unknown seems a little scary.

Good Time Charlie said...

I LAUGHED SO HARD at Jenni's comments!!!!!! That is too much. Max looks great, worth all the nagging, it worked. At least he didn't have to wear a head gear and a neck gear! I looked like the total nerdy kid in 16 Candles at one point in my prebuscent life. Not too attractive!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh yeah, the retainer, just be sure to not throw it away with your food at restaurants. We spent more than one evening digging through the trash as a family at some restaurant looking for the $200 retainer that I threw away. Whoops!

Tristan said...

What a smile! Braces really are worth it!

Nortorious said...

I know Max is the star of that post and he looks really good without his braces, but that Alice picture is to die for.
When is he going to break out with a zit plague? That kid has it too easy.

Lorie said...

No more brace face here - lookin' good Max!

Nancy said...

His smile looks great.

Hollyween said...

Great. Now I feel like crap about my bad teeth since 'I have no excuse'.

Congrats Max!

Audry said...

Not looking forward to that! Madisen has some seriously jacked up teeth. I think it's from my Dad's side of the family.

Brigitta said...

What beautiful teeth he has. It seems just like yesterday when he got them on and he couldn't talk for like a month. Glad to see the braces worked out for him