Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Every Party Needs a Pooper.

Two of my kids have been invited to birthday parties this week. They are excited and I am happy that they are being included. There is only one drawback to kid birthday parties: Presents.

Confession: I don't like to buy presents for kid birthday parties.

When my children have birthday parties I try to make them have a no gifts policy, but of course they won't comply. A bunch of kids show up with presents and everyone is thrilled. My children open the presents, and I am overwhelmed with the generosity that other parents have shown. I then resolve to change my stingy ways. The resolution lasts about a month.

My first problem with presents is finding the time and wherewithal to go to the local toy store. I don't even have time to buy myself deodorant, but still I must get the gift or everyone is going to know that I can't handle my life. The jig will be up. At the last minute, it is possible to head for Ross or TJ Maxx and say a little prayer that the perfect gift will pop into my hands. Even if it does, I still have to get the sticker that says "Discount Shopper" off of the package. And man, those things are cemented on. It takes me an entire Sacrament meeting to pick one off of my shoes.

Another issue I have with presents is the cost. Remember when a good toy could be had for ten bucks? And then it became $14.99, but I could still buy a ten buck present and make it look bigger or more expensive than it really was. Now, the good toys start at $20! That means I have to shell out at least $15 for a gift that the kid probably won't even like! Plus, there is no guarantee that the other mother will be observing the opening of the gifts. What if my kid's $20 offering is overlooked? I might as well have bought a box of crayons!

Next we have wrapping. Either I buy the wrapping paper when I am buying the gift, or Max's 14-year-old friend is going to get a gift in a baby shower bag with no tissue. Everyone knows that the more elaborate the gift wrap, the better the present. So if I don't spring for some gift wrap, it doesn't matter how great the gift is, I am still going to look cheap. Which I am, but I am still trying to hide it.

And can I talk about cards? Give me a break! I'm supposed to go to Target, peruse the toy aisle, go to gift wrap, and then select a meaningful card? Ack! Whenever my child receives a gift with a real card, I know that I can't be friends with the mom any more. We don't have anything in common.

My children are only moderately popular, for which I am grateful.



19 comments:

Paige said...

I have a solution: Target gift cards for $15. It was Sol's favorite present because he got to pick out his own thing. No wrapping, no card, just the gift card. And the mom will love you because she can steal it for herself. If you are feeling generous go up to $20. I am helpful. Helpful me. Because I have no life other than blogging.

Brigitta said...

I agree with Paige. Gift cards are the best. The kids usually forget about them and then I can use them for my daily trips to Target. Oh, and then you don't have to have anymore plastic stuff (toys) in your house.

Heather said...

I am right there with you about the present bit. Abbie has a b-day party this afternoon and because her friend can at times be a little bit difficult and bratty I am sending $15. worth of make-up, nail polish and other nightmarish wares to tell the mom thanks for all the good times.

D-dawg said...

Celia this is why we are friends. We think the same on very important matters such as this one. My question with the 15$ gift card is, is that enough? I always struggle with trying to save a few dollars but making it look good. And forget about cards... I always "forget" them myself and it is fine.

Jessica said...

Only you (and my husband) could write that many paragraphs and have it be funny throughout. I am COMPLETELY with you on the birthday present thing, especially the wrapping. We are always late to any present event, because I don't start wrapping till right before and we never have anything besides old grungy gift bags that are the wrong size.

martha corinna said...

I happened upon your site and couldn't resist commenting.
Last week my daughter needed a CAT scan. After the scan we scoured the hospital gift shop for a birthday gift for her cousin who's birthday party we were late to b/c of the CAT scan. I hadn't had the time to purchase the gift previously b/c I was too busy rushing my child to and from the doctor and then onto the hospital. We were only able to come up with gifts that are intended for sick children, some barrettes, slippers, coloring books, and stuffed animals. Between cousins and friends I end up buying more gifts for other children then I do for my own.

AnnEE said...

Celia, Last night as Heather and I were watching So You Think You Can Dance, and she was sharing her child with me (we are sister wives, you know), our obsession with the blogging world came up. Then, she told me that the I doesn't work on her computer, and that we both feel like jerks because we never comment on your blog. SSSOOOOO, if it makes you feel any better, we talked about you in REAL life. :o)

AnnEE said...

PS- I don't know if you were talking about me on Paige's comments, but if so, I don't think she's more funny than you. You are equally funny. Unless you think that Heather is funnier than me, in which case I think your blog sucks.

Ashley said...

This is hilarious. I have such strong feelings about gifting and usually just wish I could make pacts with everyone that they don't have to gift to me and mine if I don't have to gift to them and theirs. And I never use real cards. I swear by cheap tags (found them at the Target dollar bin) that I tie or stick on. I love Paige's giftcard idea.

Ellie said...

Hostess products and sugar cereal are also good gifts and you can find them at the grocery store. Why not keep a supply on hand?

janelle said...

So nice to see someone else shares my secret, shameful thoughts on gifting. Zach got a gift card at his party and it was his favorite....$10!!! He just liked being able to pick it out himself and didn't mind supplementing with his own money ($15 would make it easier).

Even if you manage to pull off a no-gifting party, there is always the rogue gifter, which really means the rogue gifter mom. It really sucks to be invited to a no-gifting party becuase then you have to interview the other moms of invitees to make sure you can discover the rogue gifter mom, because there is one, and stop her before she shames you.

Celia Fae said...

Wow, thanks for all of the strong feelings. Lesson learned: buy gift cards or buy a REVENGE gift. I love it. It will make gift buying so much more interesting. I think Claire's friend needs the new kidzbop CD....

Nortorious said...

Target gift cards are a great solution, I'm with you with $15. Is anyone going to mention family gifts? If you neglect any family member's child's birthday, you have not deposited into the birthday gift savings account and will be summarily forgotten on your or your child's day.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I had forgotten about needing a present for that party tomorrow. The best thing I ever did was hit the Target 75+% off sale after Christmas last year. Filled a closet with cool gifts and my girls have gone "shopping" there for all their presents this year. $30 items for $6. I get to be cheap and they get good presents. Not so easy with the boys, but they seem to always want to give money these days. Way easier.

*Tanyetta* said...

I am the party pooper for sure!


Birthday parties or any other type of party that expect gifts annoy me!

Lisa-Marie said...

You know what is the worst? When your kids best friends mom is the best gift giver EVER. She loves to give gifts and her gifts are thoughtful, perfect, so much fun, and on many occasions not cheap. Just check out my blog. See the tire swing my son got for his third birthday that totally completed our yard? Oh yeah...from her! Or what about the huge dress up collection she spent months collecting for my daughter for Christmas. Very hard to compete with and I have given up! I'm all about economy size bubbles from the dollar store! You guys and your $15 gift cards are way kind. Not to mention hilarious!

*Tanyetta* said...

ditto what Lisa-Marie said-- I'm all about economy size bubbles from the dollar store! You guys and your $15 gift cards are way kind. Not to mention hilarious!

my point exactly. as long as the dollar tree store is in business, i'm all over it. :) haha...tooo funny!!!

Camille said...

how about you just have claire make them some pottery?

Sally said...

I am totally with you on this. Totally.