When I was small, there was a house on the way home from school that had lawn art. Little gnomes and fake deer and stone mushrooms. I thought it was fabulous. Of course, old crotchety people lived there and wouldn't let anyone in their yard so I had to admire from afar. Since my front lawn contained nothing as magical as those gnomes, I knew that someday when I grew up I would rectify the situation. Dwarves would abound at my grown-up house.
First, I go to my local dollar store with 15 dollars in hand.
I buy everything they have that features my holiday.
I don't worry if the decorations are tacky (they will be). I don't have to be married to them! This project is to satisfy my kids, not me. Kids love tacky.
I put the ugly dollar store decorations all over my house. It doesn't matter where they go! They'll be hideous everywhere! Even better, I have my older kids help the younger ones put up decorations. Then I have zero ownership over the unsightly cardboard and plastic that is all over my house. Added bonus: the kids are working together. The benefits of this plan are awe inspiring.
If I feel the need to create, I can assemble something, but I only use dollar store items. Above wreath: 3 dollars of homely. Even though I am terrible at crafting, it doesn't matter! It was never meant to be cute!
Finally (my absolute favorite part), the day after the holiday, I get a trash bag and fill it with my holiday items. I take the trash bag to the garbage can and say goodbye to it forever! No wrapping in tissue! No storage! No begging someone to get the decorations down!
When I see the thrill on my little girl's face every time she comes home and experiences the holiday decorating in my home, it makes me feel like the best mom in the world. And in the end, that's who really matters. Me.
Visit Stie for more How-To advice this Tuesday. Then offer to come over and make one of those cool maps for my house.

15 comments:
I bow at your genius decorating feet, sista. I LOATHE the holiday decorations and, as a result, we have none. My kids would be ecstatic if I did your plan. Maybe one day I will surprise them. Thanks for linking up!
This was an inspired post. I have a few holiday decorations that I forget to get out. So they're stored for years at a time. And my kids, even the not-so-young ones, always want to decorate.
I think I'll take it one step further. I'll have my 16 year old daughter drive the kids to the dollar store and let them pick the decorations. Then I have to do NOTHING!
I owe you!
Pure genius. I *still* have Christmas decorations up because I hate taking them back down. And, aren't we supposed to have Christmas in our hearts everyday? My nativity has been up for a year and a half, after having sat in the box for over a decade.
I'm converted. Dollar store, here I come! (As soon as I put the Christmas decorations away.)
Oh, this is SO genius. I can't wait until I'm in China and go to Chinese dollar stores to find decor for American holidays. I'm betting the ugly will rise to a whole new level.
$15, kids decorate together, trash bag = Brilliant. LOVE IT!
Oh, Celia...where have you been all of my life? This is so brilliant I could cry.
I still might.
You are a genius.
Pure.Freakin'.Genius.
I have boxes and boxes of decorations in my garage. I like this idea SSOOOOOO much better!
Great stuff! Especially perfect for me, because we are a military family, moving a lot. I bagged the whole idea of storing holiday decorations a lot of years ago. (Except Christmas, that one I can't give up. But even that is super minimal). Awesome! Thank you.
Such a great idea!
Dollar Tree, here I come.
Your posts are excellent laugh therapy!
It is completely genius :)
The dollar store is the greatest place on earth... second only to the .99 cent store.
I too share your decorating skills... I even adorn my window boxes with dollar store "ivys" Because really? Who has time to water live plants outside? During Christmas, I go and pick up a few bunches of pointsettas and throw them in too. :)
brilliant! I knew you were inspired, now we have proof! My favorite part of mothering is trying to create fun memories for my kids-you totally do that! Even more so than designer decor! Love that dollar store!
This is fantastic, so glad it makes your children happy. I am not at all happy. When Cat chair comes home, which it will since my bout of infection is through, those decorations are questionable. I will put on my decorating goggles and try not to see them.
Why are you letting Alice grow up? I can't get past that picture of her with the grown up haircut. She looks like Claire. I am sad they are growing up without my influence. Are you baking my cookies for them?
Post a Comment