Saturday, November 6, 2010

Finish the Spinach

Don't wrinkle your nose at the spinach shake. It's a quick and easy way to get greens down your gullet. I get tired of stabbing (lift with your fork) and chewing.

Directions:
Put ice, water, and unsweetened almond or other milk in a blender. About a cup and a half of liquid. Blend well until the ice chunks are gone.

Add banana. I usually add half of a frozen one.
Add tablespoon of ground flax.
Add fake sugar or some sweet fruit like blueberries.
Blend some more.

Add about two cups of fresh spinach or other greens. Spinach tastes the best to me but I like to mix it up for green variety. Smash the greens into the liquid so it blends.

Blend the heck out of it. You don't want any little leafy pieces left or the texture is weird. Add more liquid if needed.

Pour and drink. Feel healthy and self-righteous and satisfied.

Variation: add some unsweetened cocoa powder and more sweetener if you are craving a chocolatey treat. Be forewarned, the color is gross. Sometimes I pour the shake into a bowl and eat it with a spoon in order to fake myself out.

Also, I buy my spinach in bulk and divide it into servings in baggies. You can freeze the full baggies. It's cheaper that way.

10 comments:

heidiram said...

I took out the spinach the other day to blend into my morning smoothie and I JUST.COULDN'T DO IT. I know. I just need to try it. I'm sure my students will appreciate the variety in my diet as well. I will have green teeth every morning instead of my blueberry teeth.

Elizabeth said...

I am very interested in this way of eating and so started in small ways to incorporate some of the boks suggestions. With my hand on my heart I can honestly say spinach smothies are my FAVOURITE breakfast and even if i give it all up tomorrow ... i will be drinking these forever. My smoothie blend is half a frozen banana whatever other fruit I want / have small bit of pure fruit juice and spinach. Poured over ice.

Lauren in GA said...

I am totally into feeling self-righteous and satisfied.

Hmmm...the stabbing and lifting the fork to my mouth and chewing are the only exercise I get all day...Perhaps that is part of my problem?

Brigitta said...

I am here to tell you that this shake is delicious....it sounds funky. Just make sure you had enough splenda and cocoa. When my kids hear the blender going they come running with cups...I am not kidding. Especially my 2 year old. He ask for "mommy's shake" It's healthy, delicious and satisfying. and cures any cravings I have for junk food. I am telling you it's good and worth a try. I got my two neighbors now drinking it. Thanks celia.

Kimberly said...

I'm going to have to try the splenda/cocoa variety. Also freezing the spinach. That will cut down trips to costco, which will save me a LOT of money. I usually add an apple too. It smooths out the banana flavor.
Do you rinse the spinach before freezing in baggies?

Good Time Charlie said...

Why is the Popeye theme song playing through my head? I have another way to sneak it in. I make Protein shakes for my kids in the morning, and I throw the Spinach in with the chocolate powder and Coconut Milk. They have NO IDEA it is there, you can't put too much in though, or the color turns slighly green and they become suspicious. You have to do this manuever very stealthily too because if they see the Spinach going in, the jig is up.

D-dawg said...

I'm going to try it but I need a warm version because I'm so cold in the morning. Or I should just have it in the afternoon instead I guess. I like when you share recipes.

Jake said...

Wow. Eating a spinach salad right now for lunch, but I just don't think I could sip it with a straw.

Lynda said...

Celia, My daughter Mary told me about your food thing.You look fantabulous and apparently feel that way too. Proud of you! I looked up Dr. Joel and also discovered Diana Stobo, who was in front of Whole Foods selling her cookbooks which is much the same. She has a good website. So I'm trying it. More to fix some health problems than lose weight. But I do feel more energy already. Have you discovered Hi Tech Burrito veggie burrito bowls. I get mine with no rice. When I've been out all day running around and they hand me that bowl of veggies, lettuce tomatoes and beans (I skip the rice) I am a happy woman.

Renee said...

The spinach shake is hilarious! I really can't judge because I like to try weird things all the time. I'll probably try your spinach shake now:)