Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Crunchy Like Carrots: 1 of 4

Unrelated yet hilarious photo of a famous Carrot Top.

I've been blog friends with Robin for as long as I've been blogging, I think. My sister knows her sister, Sally, in real life which means I know her too because I like to borrow Paige's friends. She has excellent taste.

Robin started a spinoff blog last February. It documents her switch to a healthier lifestyle, which is based on the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. The book features a plant based diet that eliminates meat and dairy, as well as the usual fats and sugars.

When I began reading about her eating plan I was totally shocked. I couldn't believe someone could make such a huge switch and I couldn't believe someone would like it and I couldn't believe that it was actually nutritious. I've always subscribed to the thought that diets that eliminate entire food groups were extreme and unhealthy. I've changed my mind.

I had to think about Robin's blog for six months before I decided to give Eat to Live a try. I have quite a few friends who have had serious health problems and they've switched to a plant based diet and they believe. Most of them do a diet called the PH diet. I read the book but I wasn't into all of the supplements it promotes.

Here's the Eat to Live initial six-week daily food plan in brief:



  • One pound of raw vegetables.

  • One pound of cooked vegetables.
  • At least five fruits a day.

  • One cup of beans.

  • Half cup of whole grain.


At the end of July, I got the book and bought the produce and jumped in. I kept telling myself it was only for six weeks, and I could do anything for six weeks. I ended up liking it so much I did it for nine, with one exception for a Five Guys burger that was worth it. Then I went on vacation for ten days, where of course I ate whatever I wanted, but now I'm back. Not as strict, but definitely no meat or dairy. I'm vegan, except not weird.

Next up: What I like about my lifestyle? Sounds Prop 8ish. Diet? Bad mojo with that word. Food plan? I guess food plan works. I need something snazzier.

15 comments:

Jenibelle said...

Wow.

No sugar?

Wow.

Lots of questions, probably not the right forum to ask them. I'll be in touch.

Lauren in GA said...

You are completely impressive, Celia.

I agree. Paige has excellent taste in friends. Robin is amazing.

I just might have to try this. It sounds cheaper than Medifast.

Carrot Top's 2007 eyebrows make me tremble with fear.

Good Time Charlie said...

I really believe there is a lot to embrace in this diet, I can get on the bandwagon with cutting back on the sugar and meat, but oh boy, to eliminate? You go! By the way, if you keep this eating plan up, your eyebrows might begin to arch up and your skin might begin to firm up to the point where we, your friends might suspect Botox. Just look at what happened to Carrot Top? That is truly frightening.

Terri OConnor said...

I'm glad I didn't know about this before the harvest party....I hope I didn't derail your new diet. As evidenced by the menu, I CAN'T live without sugar, meat, or dairy. In fact, I spend a lot of time thinking about them--I'm sure that's a sign of addiction. ARG.

Erin said...

That picture of Carrot Top is freaky.

Your diet is not.

munch on.

Robin said...

Oh, but honey, you ARE weird. A weird vegan Mormon. Weird.

Strollerblader said...

No fruits?? (To eat, I mean.)

Celia Fae said...

Crap. Yes fruits. I forgot to write fruit. I love fruits.

Sally said...

Awesome post.

Fruits are allowed.

Please post more about this!

Emily said...

You know I love it! Robin had the same good influence on me! You and I started our diets at about the same time, and it sounds like we're on the same track now that the 6 weeks are over. I'm so happy with it.

www.vegetablecarnival.com if you're interested.

Tell us more!

Melissa said...

I married into the Sally, Robin, Kristen, Emily clan. I'm so lucky.

Robin is awesome and so are you Celia. I'm impressed. I can't get myself to even read the books... my head is buried pretty deep. :)

You look beautiful and I bet you feel wonderful too. That part has to be so worth it.

Natalie said...

Visiting your blog from Denae's. Thanks for posting this - you look amazing! You are an inspiration.

Kimberly said...

CELIA!
1. I wrote an long comments yesterday. It got lost somehow.
2. I remember when you and I were so fascinated by this last spring, and we both said we weren't ready, and then you were and you did it! And I'm about to follow in your footsteps. I'll need guidance, lots of guidance. Way to go!

Kimberly said...

AND Carrot-top scared me before the side by side comparison. Now he REALLY scares me!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I like it.