Thursday, January 1, 2009

O Easterbaum, O Easterbaum!



Every morning I walk down my stairs and the first thing I see is my sparkly Christmas tree. I love it. I've had it up since Thanksgiving and I don't want to take it down. It's foggy and dark all day long around here and I need the light as well as the pick-me-up when I go into the living room. Please, can't I keep it up until the sun starts shining again? Is there a way?

I want to start a new tradition: a Holiday Tree. It could represent each winter holiday in a festive way. The ornaments are already out there, all I have to do is buy them. Can't you see it now?



I couldn't find any ornaments for MLK Jr day, but I think this blue and white plaque could be shrunk down and mounted on cardboard. Maybe I could also shrink the "I Have a Dream" talk and wrap it around a glass ball. Imagine the meaningful conversations I could have with my kids while doing this. Isn't that a lot better than a coloring page?


Washington and Lincoln totally get their birthdays ripped off. They have to share with one President's Day. They probably hate sharing their birthdays as much as I do. So why not commemorate Washington with an ornament like the one above? It jingles when you shake it.



Lincoln could be placed with his wife on the Holiday Tree. It would be romantic. Maybe I could hot glue some pennies to strings and use that as a garland. Just imagine. So coppery and beautiful.


Groundhog Day definitely deserves its own holiday decorations. I could order some of this cute groundhog guy, and then cut out pictures of Bill Murray to supplement. He looks good in twinkly light. It hides the acne pits.


If you've been reading my blog at all, you know that Carl has outdone himself this Christmas season. There's nowhere for him to go on Valentine's Day. It's sure to be a bummer. Why not console myself with this cuddly Valentine's ornament? Weird. It looks oddly similar to the giant bear my brother Nate gave to his girlfriend one year. We didn't mock him to his face.


A leprechaun ornament would be vastly superior to those pesky milk spilling leprechauns that usually come around here. Hey! The tree is green! A St. Patrick's day color! This whole idea is meant to be.


I promise to take my tree down right after Easter. The sun will be shining by then and my spirits will be lifted. A Holiday Tree is just what cures the post-holiday blues. Mock me if you want, but at least I won't have to go tanning to get some light for my seasonal affective disorder. A Holiday Tree is Cancer Free. Don't be jealous I thought of this first. Be grateful you don't have to put your tree away until April.


18 comments:

Annemarie said...

Look out Martha Stewart. I mean...a penny garland...

I think you're on to something here.

Nortorious said...

Nate gave his girlfriend a big bear? DORK.
Last pic doesn't work.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Duh, you can TOTALLY have a holiday tree. We had them.

Jan-snowflakes
Feb - hearts
March - clovers
April - easter eggs (unless easter is in march) PLUS easter grass and bows
May - flowers
June - SUMMER! (popsicles and such)
July - red white and blue
August - back to school
September - harvest
October - halloween
November - fall gloriousness
December - Christmas

I think you should do it.

Anonymous said...

I once worked with a gal that kept her tree up year round. She was a nut. lol

Lauren in GA said...

Your tree is so beautiful...I wouldn't want to take it down, either.

Darling, this idea is so brilliant...the idea of not having to take the tree down until April was really the selling point for me.

Lindsey said...

Based on how onery taking down my own tree made me, I am thinking it is not a bad idea. I mean, that is an aweful lot of work to dis-assemble after only 14 days (ok, I put mine up late) Anywho... I am thinking Valentines day is as far as you can take that one.. Doileys, red ribbon, Hearts.. I can see it now. If mine weren't real, I would have TOTALLY joined you.

Lindsey said...

and we could have made it blog fodder and a serious competition. .. ok, next year I am in.. .Tree Wars 2010?

Melissa said...

I'm in. I don't want to take mine down either. I love the cheerful glow on the gloomy days.

in 1976 My mom had a patriotic themed tree and kept it up for like-- ever. (So she says, maybe she'll come out of lurkdom to respond.)

Nancy said...

That's a great idea. Especially since my hubby went to work today and left me to take the tree down by myself.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm going to make some ornaments of skip's face, and send them to you for your MLK tree. it's good to have diversity.

i'm sorry i can't participate in this brilliant scheme because i have a live tree. my only theme would then become "outrageous fire hazard tree". it would probably go up like an inferno and turn all my bill murray pictures into shrinky dinks. not pretty.

Ilene said...

Really, you just don't want to take the time and effort to take your tree down.

Oh wait, that's me.

Jacqui said...

Brillant!

Jake said...

No...I would kill myself. I hate the tree after January 2.

Sally said...

Total genius. I love my sparkly tree. It is foggy here too and I love the warm festive sparkliness of the tree! I don't want to see it go.

Maybe you can start a business selling year-round holiday ornaments.

Liz said...

I am once again humbled by your brilliance. Except for the fact that my son has already torched my tree in the back yard firepit, I love the idea. Christmas trees make me happy, too. Now, good luck convincing Carl!

wenderful said...

I'm with Gab. New Year's Day means out with Christmas and all it's glories. Where can I buy a sun lamp for my desk?

diane said...

I love this idea. I think you should do the parade of ugly for every holiday. I don't think I can wait a whole year.

Anonymous said...

you seriously need a life, i'm shocked by the waste of energy of this thing . . . :)