Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday Synopsis: Xmas Edition

Home decorating that happens once a year:
  1. Lights on house. Very straight thanks to those little plastic things that hook to your rain gutter. Minimal job this year though because someone was too chicken to put them on the second story. Something about falling off the roof and breaking his neck. Isn't that what life insurance is for?
  2. Dining room table decorations. I got some new LED light candles that I enjoyed but they ran out of batteries before Christmas. The little balls surrounding them were a nice idea but not good enough. Must buy round ornaments next year.
  3. Advent calendar. Henry got into this this year but it upset him when Alice rearranged things. I will put it up higher next year. Mustn't let the children touch the toys. I failed to get the chocolate advent calendar from Trader Joe's this year and nobody seemed to notice except me.
  4. Gourds by front door. Wrong season. Bad effect. Spray paint gold next year.
  5. Mantel and stockings. I liked the lights and the trees in the family room. Will be a repeater.
  6. Village by front door. This was a huge hit. It turns out army guys love to play in Christmas villages. The cords were a mess but will be hidden by a larger tablecloth next year. I screwed up and bought the wrong batting for snow. Buy thicker one-piece batting next year. Maybe I can use the old stuff for my quilting hobby, har dee har har.
  7. Train under tree. Also very exciting, but the train was cheap and fell off the track often. Buy better train next year.
  8. Christmas cards on pantry door. Loved them, but they wouldn't stick with glue dots or tape so I ended up gluing them on with my trusty glue gun. Now we (he) will have to sand and repaint the pantry door. Oops. Find a better sticky method next year. I got so many fabulous cards this year I can't decide which one to copy next year.
  9. More house lights. I had an extra box.

Now's the part where I tell you I've cleaned everything up and my home is ready to go. That would be a lie. Everything is disassembled and sitting in the living room. Come on over and see how we really live. Feel free to bring cinnamon rolls or lemonade again. That means you, Carol.... (I have the best neighbors ever).

I didn't do neighbor gifts this year and I regret it. People brought me stuff and I felt guilty and wished I could reciprocate. Will do those next year.

We weren't able to hold our annual caroling party because everyone's schedules got too full. Must plan better next year.

The gift exchange within my family went well. The kids were especially excited about the gift they gave me and Carl, a toaster oven.

The gift exchange with the extended family went well also. Paige gave me tickets to Spamalot with her and Sally. I love tickets. It's the gift that keeps on giving. I printed out some of her blog and had it bound. She seemed to like it. I'll be telling you all about that soon, and it won't include any plugs for the infuriating blurb book company.

The Christmas Day party was successful. I ordered Mexican the day before and then stored it in my fridge and reheated it. Christmas Eve was fun and chaotic. Alice hated Jewish Santa but Grandma Pamma seemed to like him a lot.

There. No more Christmas for eleven months.

12 comments:

Paige said...

Carls cmas lights were not only straight they were erect. I bet you'll get light on the second story next year when you tell him you put a call in to my $700 light guy.

Annemarie said...

Woah, Paige...

Sorry the glue dots didn't work. I love the Christmas village.

My decor sits in a pile in the living room, as well. I have no desire to move it. How about a pile of Holiday stuff hanging around until April???

Ashley said...

I am trying to muster the will to return to blogging and do my Christmas post. I like how you did yours. I have no idea how to do fancy things like photo collages though so I'm screwed. I think reheated Mexican for Christmas day is brilliant and so appealing after all the fudge!

Anonymous said...

Surprise your neighbors with a treat out of the blue. Your regret will vanish and they will really appreciate something after they have dieted for a month!

Paying to put Christmas lights up is cheaper than a medical bill.

Lauren in GA said...

That was awesome!

I know...why are some people fearful about breaking their necks? Where was his sense of adventure?

I think you are onto something- painting those gourds gold next year is brilliant.

I loved the har dee har har. I am totally stealing that!

rabidrunner said...

Do you have a door that's magnetic (garage, front, etc)? Use a magnet to put them on the door. That's what I do as shown Here. You weren't asking for advice, but here I was, in my boring windowless basement, with all sorts of advice ready to give.

Margaret said...

Maybe try Fun Tak on the pantry door next time.

My Christmas stuff is in a box in the middle of my living room. I hope it goes at least upstairs tonight.

Jennie said...

No pressure or anything... but will you tell us what company you used for Paige's blog book? I used the B word (blurb) last time and am looking or new options. They are no longer compatible with blogger unless you jump through a million hoops including exporting your blog to a new blog and then using blurb. Anywho... just wonderin'. Love you and Paige. You are some of my favs. Oh, and I SO agree with your points system on the church time. We are now 1-4 as well. Love the sleep in time... hate the late church. The kiddos are D-O-N-E before it even starts. Thanks! ~Jen

Nancy said...

Cue music...I saw my mommy kissing Santa Claus!

Okay, I didn't do neighbor gifts either and feel way guilty. I'm considering Valentine's gifts for redemption.

I'm dying to know how you respond to Jennie, the above commenter.

Nancy said...

I mean, regarding the blog book. Celia and I are in the works for a formal unveiling of the secret.

Ilene said...

I'm looking for my troubled marriage Christmas card...

The thought of writing my christmas synopsis makes me tired. Maybe I will just re-post yours on my blog. No one will know the difference.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i love how your entire post is like a session of self-talk.

and i love seeing your mom get all trampy up on santa. very eartha kitt-esque.

i'm bummed i don't see my dvd hot glued to your pantry door.