My mom once told me that when the sacrament prayer was repeated, it was because I wasn't being reverent. I always panicked when the prayer was repeated because I just knew it was because of me. I'd fold my arms and close my eyes extra tight and hope that no one else had noticed. Who was the Prayer Spy? How come they always knew when I was naughty?
It turns out my mom was making it up. The reason the sacrament prayer was repeated was due to the fact that it was said erroneously. Too bad I was thirteen when I figured it out. Dummy. That revelation led me to wonder what other myths I believed.
Myth or Fact?
- Swimming on Sunday is forbidden. Something about Satan controlling the water. Turns out D&C 61 does include a reference to dangerous water, but it is specific to the Missouri River. Hey Christie! Avoid the Missouri River on Sunday, okay?
- The oldest man is head of household when the dad is gone. Myth. The wife of the husband shares the priesthood with him and therefore is the head of the household during his absence. I knew I was the boss.
- Deacons line up tallest to shortest when passing. Boy, that sacrament is just loaded. Myth, of course.
- No women in pants in the chapel. I heard a woman talk about this recently. I was wearing pants in the chapel, of course. It wasn't Sunday and they were nice pants and it was raining. I felt like a naughty child all over again. I think this is a myth, but I have no documentation.
- Take the sacrament with right hand only. I thought this was surely a myth, but it turns out Elder Nelson discussed it here. He basically says it makes sense to use the right hand but that it is more important to take the sacrament seriously. Plausible.
- No denim in the chapel. I'm positive my mom is making this one up. How else could you explain all of the denim jumpers from 15 years ago? Myth. Just because it isn't true doesn't mean you should do it.
- General conference is held twice yearly on Sunday. It is a free day from church to be used to visit sick Grandma Betty in Santa Rosa. When I was a freshman at BYU, I discovered that conference was Saturday AND Sunday, at that people actually listened to it. Of course, they were laying out on the top of Deseret Towers, but still. Imagine my surprise. Big myth.
Thus concludes this episode of my own personal Mythbusters. I wonder what else I'm missing.



33 comments:
1. Being baptized in your backyard pool is sacrilegious and doesn't count. Turns out a couple of my kids may not really be members.
2. I totally agree on the denim. Obviously started by someone in Orange County or Alamoish areas where they wouldn't be caught dead in a denim jumper let alone alive.
3. They look for the most kind and spiritual woman in the ward and then they call her husband to be Bishop. I would say more on this, but I probably am already in trouble. (If so, MO's husband would have a lifetime calling, like apostle. Wouldn't that be fun? General Conference talks on cats?)
Um, is Max in his boxers for that shot?
Could you please now post about brother-sister back scratching in sacrament meeting and tell everyone it is verboten. Thank you.
Oh my heck!!! How funny.
My mom went on her own personal Mormon Mythbusters escapade.
Members born into the church were more righteous in the pre-existence, thus they were given this privilege.
MYTH! Although "valiant" spirits were sent to do specific things (think Joseph Smith) nothing says converts were less righteous in the pre earth life.
Actually, I know a BYU professor, who would argue that it was the other way round. Those born into the church might not have sought it and converts had more pre-existence brownie points.
So my dad (born in the church) and my mom (convert) are now on equal ground. Whew!
Jenna's got my mind in knots.
Don't the guys on Mythbusters do engineering experiments in accompaniment to their mythbusting? So in keeping with this, you should definitely wear denim next Sunday. Just to make sure.
My friend told her kids that the ward clerk is the reverence police and when he walks around he writes down the names of all the naughty children. I love sitting behind them in church to watch them snap to when they see him. It works brilliantly! How about you must wear a skirt to visit teach. I believed that one til I moved to California.
Are you sure about the whole lining up from shortest to tallest, because I swear that's true.
If you bless your baby in your house, they're not really blessed. Myth.
If you say the Shit word in the church parking lot, you're cast out to outer darkness. Hopefully myth, or else Jason's going to hell.
Love it. what I don't like is how from ward to ward they have different rules about whether or not the boys passing the sacrament can wear colored shirts.
I am so using the repeated sacrament prayer myth on my son. I am going to be praying for the person saying the prayer to mess up. Is that bad??
In Mexico the women aren't allowed to say the opening prayer... and today I told Paisley I was taking her up to talk to the Bishop because she was so noisy... she just started screaming NOOOO I'M SCAWWWD (scared) Discipline backfire. Our ward clerk has a bum foot and counts from the pulpit... otherwise that would be a good one.
How about the myth that the Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight? Total myth. My MIL tried to pull that one on me & Will when we were dating. I wondered if she thought I was 16. I was 23.
The twins believe you have to talk to the bishop every time you wear bikinis.
They have immodesty fears.
Thanks for rooting out the truth. What about Diet Coke and chocolate?
Growing up in Happy Valley I encountered many myths that I didn't find out were myths until much later in life. I think we could do a whole episode on mythbusteres. Did you ever hear of that professor at the BY that said s#% is only for bringing children into this world. He claimed they had 7 children and there for only had S#% 7 times. (trying to keep your blog PG rated) I never actually heard it, but that mythological story circled around the BY while I was attending.
So did you swim or not? Or just torture the kids with the thought of it.
It totally bothers me when I seen women putting their oldest son "in charge" when the dad is gone. Hello?! You're his mom, you are the head, not him. Very bizarre to me. I didn't grow up in a household like that so it really freaked me out the first time I saw it.
I think if I tried to convince my boys that the Sacrament prayer would have to repeated if they were not reverent, they would become drunk with power and want to see how many times they could MAKE it be repeated.
Those are some great pictures!
i like the picture of max. i think you should title it "rebellious missionary". it reminds me of those naughty missionaries who tempt satan by going near the water.
i think the missionaries and water myth came about for poor elders like my father, who served on the riviera. boobies galore on them beaches.
also, denim... yes, i do the nursery. i wear the same denim skirt every week, because i refuse to pay my dry cleaner extra to remove snot, pee and playdoh from my nice clothes. thank you for validating my undamned status.
I had a bishop at BYU that said the leg hair, even that at the ankle of men was an extension of pbc hair!! and he found it offensive, that is why men should not wear sandals on the BYU campus. I had a very hard keeping a straight face after that one.
Also, "we are never given more than we can handle". What a crock!!!!! Where in doctrine does it say that??? That is my my most pet peeved mormon myth. I almost want to yell at the person who says that to me. I am sure Emma Smith sure didn't feel that way. Tell that to the poor person who has a nervous breakdown! (Not that I am in danger of having one, just venting)
Thanks for the heads up about the Missouri River. We are known to skip church and now then around here, and it would be good to avoid that one, seeing as Satan lives there. Helpful tip.
Along the lines of wearing a skirt to Visit Teach...Do you HAVE to take something EVERY time? I don't. But a lady who VT me must have believed that myth. Here's a list of the things she brought me that were surely last ditch efforts to not break the "rule."
Can of olives.
Pink, VERY pink lipstick.
Bag of pasta.
One little mini pack of kleenex.
I KID YOU NOT.
Sometimes she did alright and brought brownies.
I am using that sacrament prayer one! I can see where you got your sense of humor! Thanks for the chuckle!
My favorite Mormon Myth: If you have a lot of boys or are a lot are born in a ward some lame woman says, "A war must be coming because all of these boys are being born."
My reply (still waiting to use it): "Well, in my friend's ward, there are a lot of girls being born. Does that mean polygamy is going to be restored?"
Oops. I guess on the swimming thing, our family is going straight to hell. We go swimming every Sunday afternoon at our neighbors house from May to October. We like to call it fellowshipping and missionary work.
I think the old folk made up a lot of myths to keep the youth in line! I knew the one about taking the sacrament with the right hand to be true. My father told me when I was young and I have done that ever since. He told me that it was a way of showing respect and love for the Savior.
Fun Post! I am sure we could come up with a few more!
How about if you go to the temple when you have your period it will be unholy?
A little to Old Testamentish for my taste.
Ha! Your mom is brilliant. I'm totally using the sacrament prayer one on my kids.
My mom wore denim bib overalls to sacrament meeting back in the early 70's when my parents were investigating the church, I always wonder what those members thought of such a rebel.
Our old stake president had rules for all of the Relief Society presidencies, we had to wear nylons, we could not wear denim, and we always had to wear a dress or skirt when we were at church functions. Of course, during this time, I was pregnant twice and nylons were so awesome during summer pregnancies.
In the MTC I heard numerous stories about missionaries who went swimming and who consequently met a bitter end (or something of the sort). While serving my mission I slipped off of a ledge and fell into the Atlantic Ocean (seriously, I fell), the whole time while struggling back to the shore I was scared to death because I was sure Satan was going to grab my ankles and pull me under. But I have lived to tell the tale.
Have you heard that you should never remove your underwears even in the bedroom doing....you know.
I have heard that twice in my life.
Woops for me.
What about if you wear jeans to choir practice in the chapel on Sunday? Am I going straight to hell? I did yesterday and I sure got some looks like I was. Ooops.
I am going to use the "Clerk is the Reverence Police"! Love that!!!
He's a myth for you...If the speaker in Sacrament ends too early, you have to fill the time. Everyone gets nervous because they may be the one the Bishop calls up to share their testimony!
And Jeni, I already proven your myth number 3 is false!!!!
Nice kid posing, and great title.
Ultra-funny post! I am still confused about lots of things since I am a convert (of 13+ years).
This is great - nice to know that my parents aren't the only liars on the block. Is the lie expunged if it is done in the name of producing better Sunday behavior?
How about the prayer said in the car right before a road trip. Why is it that the prayer must be said in the car and not in the house before the trip?...
Post a Comment