The thing about books is that even if I am not remotely interested in the material, if the writing is good, I'm hooked. Remember Seabiscuit? Eat Pray Love was so well-written that I immediately disregarded any bad press I had heard about the book. I guess the author was on Oprah and didn't present well. In this book, the author travels to Italy, India, and Indonesia in the space of a year. She is on a spiritual journey. I like reading about spiritual journeys and I wish I could undertake one by myself for a whole year to foreign places. But that's another post.
Ann Brashares wrote the Traveling Pants series. This is her first book for adults and is set on Fire Island in the Atlantic. The book featured two women and man in their early twenties, so it wasn't that much of a departure for the author. The book was an easy read and not completely trashy, but not worth buying. Check it out from the library if you want to read it.
I'm linked to Ilene on Goodreads and she recommended this book. I'm glad I read it. It is a young adult sci-fi novel about a future world where people turn from ugly to pretty when they are sixteen. In the book, everyone who is twelve is sent away because they are too ugly to look at. I think the author has got it wrong. I think kids start getting ugly sooner than 12. In my family we peak at about two. Anyway, I liked the book and I'm looking forward to the next in the series. A dissenting opinion was offered by my teenaged sister, Camille. She said that The Giver by Lois Lowry or Brave New World by Aldous Huxley were the same story but better.
My MIL gave me Kabul Beauty School a few weeks ago. It is a memoir of a hairdresser who started a beauty school in Afghanistan. I was hesitant to read KBS because I am still scarred by the sorrowful Kite Runner but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I enjoyed it on a few levels:
- I learned about beauty rituals of Afghan women. Like how kohl is applied or how to put perm rods in. See? I even know what a perm rod is. I'm a beauty tard.
- I got a feel for the culture of Kabul from an outsider's perspective. I like Afghanistan a lot better now that I know about it.
- The author, Deborah Rodriguez (who had an excellent ghostwriter), makes some really crazy choices, like marrying an Afghan man that she doesn't know. Or helping a girl fake her virginity.
I realize I am in a reading rut and I'm happy to be here. Perhaps someday I'll read a book by a man about a man. Don't hold your breath.


19 comments:
That last book sounds really good. I've been looking for a new read!
ou may have already heard of this one - but "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls was really good....a quick read too. All about her growing up - homeless a lot of the time....very good. I was looking at the Uglies - I guess I will check it out.
I am currently totally engrossed in 'Understanding Isaiah'. Can't tear myself away from it.
I actually read the Kabul Beauty School because my student aid is Afghani, she loved it and gave it to me. Their culture is fascinating, she tells me great stories. When they go "home" she has to wear a burkha. Last time they went her parents arranged her marriage. I want to be able to do that . Hint....hint....hint.
I just started Ana's Story by Jenna Bush. Those twins turned out well. Now I want to read Kabul Beauty School. I wonder if it's anything like the Scientific School of Cosmetology...sounds high tech,I went to.
Can I borrow the beauty school book. I need a good read for my late nights of no sleep.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've completely run out of things to read, and these books should last me at least a week or so.
Kabul Beauty School sounds fascinating.
Thanks for the reviews :)
You read really smart stuff. I want to be more like you.
I was just looking at that beauty school book yesterday at Barnes and Noble. I think I may have to go back now and buy it. Our library is lame and doesn't have a copy.
I haven't read: eat, love, pray or KBS but will after reading your post.
I did read last summer and thought you summed it up really well.
Thanks for the tips.
My all time favorite on spiritual journeys and connecting with your true self is Anne Morrow Lindbergh's "Gifts from the Sea". Such a classic. Coming in 2nd for a daily read is "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I give this book as a gift to my kid's teachers that I really loved. Thanks for the picks too, adding them to my library que!
I read The Uglies, The Pretties, and the Specials. They were interesting. They gave me a new perspective on our own culture. Not really my favorite books ever, but I couldn't put them down either.
Glad you liked Uglies. Pretties is better and then the next two are fall off a bit. But that didn't keep me from reading them (the 4th I didn't like at all).
I'm a big fan of YA lit because the stories are fun and the authors don't try to impress the readers with too much fancy language or other hoity toity stuff.
LOVED Kabul Beauty School. Very fascinating.
I'm actually reading a book by a man about a boy which is rare for me. It is called, Peace Like a River and I am loving it. For whatever reason the Dad, son (Rueben), and daughter, Swede, remind me of the Finch family from To Kill a Mockingbird. Great characters, beautiful writing.
I too just finished Kabul Beauty School and since I am a hairdresser I was totally fascinated. I was also coming off the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Thanks for the reviews... I think I will check the Eat Pray one out!
WAIT, you can READ? What happened? I know, you are released from GD so you can go back to your wicked ways.
Yeah, I read US magazine. Thanks anyway.
(In Touch and Star publish lies.)
I enjoyed the whole Uglies series and started using Uglies made-up words all the time after I finished. I am eating "Eat. Pray. Love." now!
I too am scarred by Kite Runner. But I am willing to have a go a KBL after reading your post! Thanks!
You are my go-to source for what to read next, you know. Because of you, I have about 40 books on my "to-read" list.
Have you read any Diana Gabaldon? Check out Outlander. It's the first of 6 so if you love it you're set for the summer! (And you can join us in August at book club when we discuss.) :)
Post a Comment