Sunday, March 30, 2008

Famous Mormon First Ward

Everybody knows that women should run their wards. We have the best ideas about who belongs where and what everyone's situation is relative to others. Unfortunately, my best efforts at "helping" my ward's organization have never come to fruition. Hence my pleasure at organizing the hierarchy of the Famous Mormon First Ward.
Ken Jennings is a natural for Elder's Quorum Pres. He has a mind for trivia, so he could keep all of the home teaching routes straight, and he has a pile of cash so that he could have good parties. EQ parties are always a lot more fun than HP parties.
Glenn Beck would be a breath of fresh air for the High Priest's Group Leader. Maybe he could singlehandedly change their name from Dry Priest back to High Priest. Glenn Beck is certainly qualified to be bishop but he is a little too controversial, hence his position as HPGL.
I realize this dates me, but Steve Young is nothing but cute and a great candidate for Young Men's Pres. He would be able to relate to the boys on an athlete's level, but he is old and wise enough to lead them. As a bonus, he could award them all cars (Toyotas) when they complete their Eagle Scout award.
This young chap, Torah Bright, is a snowboarder and one of Steve's young men. Steve has managed to befriend Torah despite their competing sports, and Torah has been a good example for Steve by not competing on the Sabbath.
Steve Covey, the guy who could sell anything to anybody, would have to be Ward Mission Leader. He could turn the entire congregation and any investigators into Coveyites.
Benji and his cousin Heidi are co-Activities chairpeople. I bet the decorations would be shiny and fabulous, but I am slightly worried about the food. They don't seem like eaters to me. Maybe Benji's dad would lend him that lighted sign he used to hold up in So You Think You Can Dance in order to announce parties.

Jane Clayson is the Primary Pres. She has really needed something to do since quitting her day job, and she is going to pour her talents into Primary. The children will respect her commanding voice but also enjoy all of the video presentations she prepares for them. Reverence will abound.
I can't have a ward without Carol Lynn Pearson, even if she is a little nuts. Every ward needs one, and she is our Relief Society Pres. She is very good at counseling those with marital issues and always has something interesting to say during RS. Never a dull moment with Carol Lynn.
Stephenie Meyer obviously understands the mind of the teenaged girl, so she is a great choice for YW Pres. The girls will especially enjoy midnight sleepovers at her house and sneaking out to TP Edward and Jacob.

Are you holding your breath to see who the bishop is? I choose Orson Scott Card. He is smart and funny and spiritual and just a little edgy. I hate it when bishops are super straight. They don't get me. Bishop Card is an effective leader for both young and old and I hope he stays in for at least five years.
Feel free to fill in the holes here. I realize I have only touched the tip of the iceberg.

52 comments:

Tristan said...

Interesting choices! I agree that Glen Beck would be too controverial for the role as Bishop, but I still really like the guy.

Very creative Celia!

Chrissy, said...

Don't forget Brooke White from American Idol as the Ward Music Leader.

Anonymous said...

Torah is actually a GIRL :)

Paige said...

You are Genius. Love this. I think Michael Ballam should be the counselor over the YM/YW. He could really scare them straight.

diane said...

Julianne Huff can be the YW sports director. She can teach them what not to wear and how not to shake what their mama gave them.

Good Time Charlie said...

Poop! I thought I would be the 1st commenter. Love the choices, Carol Lynn Pearson and I were in the same ward for a time, and yes, she always really did have something really good to say in RS, usually controversial. Love Orson Scott Card for Bishop, he would be oh so interesting, and would totally understand other people's issues, since he has such a creative mind.

D-dawg said...

Great picks! I would like to vote for Jon Heder (aka Napoleon) to be the clerk... you know the guy who walks up and down the aisle counting people (with his mouth hanging open).

And perhaps Ricky Schroder as the gospel doctrine teacher... I would attend every week.

♥Shally said...

Ummm... don't forget Gladys Knight as Choir director.

Celia Fae said...

Anonymous, you are right. Torah Bright is a girl. I think Carol Lynn can help her with her issues. She wrote that book, you know.

Lauren in GA said...

I forgot what I was gonna say because of Denae's great comment about Jon Heder having his mouth hanging wide open!

Great list! I truly enjoyed it!

Nancy said...

When does the ward meet? I want to make sure to be there! :)

Jenibelle said...

I want Wilford Brimley to be something in the ward, greeter perhaps?
Larry King-who-is-not-Mo-but-married-to-a-faux-Mo, should be in Scouts or on the activity committee, that's where we put all the active non-members.

And I TOTALLY disagree with Ken Jennings as EQ President. He is definitely Ward Clerk material.

(And you KNOW our Bishop isn't quite a straight arrow and he doesn't get you either. Just to clear that up.)

crystal said...

I want to be in your Dream Ward, with Orson Scott Card as bishop! Make sure, if you please, that I am in your ward boundaries. I like a bishop with a touch of the sardonic.

I'm with Denae! Rick Schroeder as Gospel Doctrine....yummy. Er, I mean, I'd really feel the spirit.

Ashley said...

My fav is Jane Clayson as PP. And Steve as YM Pres. Bravo.

What about Steve Martin?

Brigitta said...

Very good, very clever and right on. When does the ward meet and can Ricky Schroder be my home teacher.... then I would really like the montly visits and he could stay as long as he wants and it would be so convienant for those times when my hubby is out of town and I need a "blessing"

Margaret said...

That was SO funny! I agree with Chrissy on adding Brooke White in and loved the Ricky Schroeder add in. Maybe Michael Ballam could be the nursery leader?! I bet the kids would never stop crying!

Nortorious said...

If I knew who half of those people were, I'm sure I would agree. Michael Ballam has got to be in there somewhere.
Are more and more leadership going "super straight" these years? Alas. I walk a lonely road.
They asked me to talk in church. Always so tempting to do a little freaking out of my new ward.

Anne said...

I'm assuming you already have the role of Stake President saved for Mitt.

And what about Lionel?

Annie said...

Great post, Celia. Before I sustain, I have to add that Jane Clayson (despite her book about being a SAHM) is actually a fairly regular radio anchor on our local PBS station. Just so you know...but I think she could still pull off PP with all her organization skills and calm voice.

Love the Jon Heder addition.

What should we do with Donny and Marie? Maybe they should be the directors of the roadshow (or stake play...whatever). Or they could help Gladys with the choir, reminding everyone to smile. Or Marie, with all her adversity experience, could be RS compassionate service???

Rochelleht said...

You are a nut. :-)

Robin said...

You will find me in YM with President Young.

Jake said...

Oh you are so so funny!

You need to assign some really good VT's to Katherine Heigl and Amy Adams too.

Lindsey said...

I am not sure if I like your post more, or the additions in the comment section! Way to stir it up, you always know how! (If it makes you feel any better, I get you.)

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm going to quit commenting on your blog because all i ever say is "you kill me".
because you do.

i thought that torah person was a girl. which one of us is mistaken?

katherine heigl needs to be the single sister that the missionaries visit regularly to "reactivate." then one of them mysteriously gets sent home early...

Audry said...

Very clever; How do you come up with this stuff?

AZ Karen said...

I think Amy Adams needs to be the primary chorister...or the Sunbeam teacher.

Excellent post.

Lauren said...

What a fantastic post! I agree with you on most of them! :)

Annemarie said...

Gladys Knight would make a fab choir director...and Donny Osmond would look great just sitting on the stand...not really talking or singing (he can be a little dorky these days when opening his mouth to do either)Maybe ward Clerk would suit him...

ashli said...

Here in "Zion" you would surely appreciate the new addition to the church owned local paper. Mormon Times comes each Tuesday and features articles from Orson Scott Card and interesting topics such as blogging moms and such. You would enjoy....Actually, for me it is a love/hate thing. The articles are sometimes so far off and some are right on. You'll have to check out the Deseret Morning News online. I am sure you could partake and see if you like.
Love this ward you formed. (Torah is a girl and the paper did a big article on her as well. She would do well in YW and be an example to some of the younger questioning young ladies out there.)
You still make me laugh with every post...Thanks. I am still thinking about Blogapalooza...a little gun shy but on the verge.

Anonymous said...

Now that is one ward council meeting I wouldn't sleep though!

Christie said...

Ahhh, I was totally going to the Katherine Heigel and Amy Adams thing. Gabi beat me to the punch. Hilarious, as always.

The only Mo missing off your fabulous list is Aaron Eckhart (who was with Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich). LOVE him. I think he needs to have a vital role in the ward of dreams.

Linsey said...

So that makes Gladys Knight the Primary Chorister?

Bridget said...

Steve Martin is NOT LDS. Sorry folks. My dad was the bishop over Bel Air and Beverly Hills. That one I know for sure.

Otherwise, great list. Love the Jon Heder in there too.

Cindy said...

I am so happy to have found your blog!! Such a creative mind you have. Keep up the great fun!! Im doing my best to tell others about you down here in So. Utah-and in my little world of blogging!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! I love them all, especially the Jon Heder suggestion. What about Merlin Olsen as nursery worker? He seems like a softie. And one of the Mariotts could be stake employment specialist. I'm sure they have some great connections.

Hazen5 said...

This is one of your top "Famous Mormon" Posts!!! I want to live in the first ward.

Ilene said...

Love Orson Scott Card.

Shannon Hale could be Activities Day leader- a mini princess academy.

Celia, you could be the ward newsletter director. Or the sacrament program editor. You could put fun crossword puzzles or name the LDS celebrity games on the back for those Sundays when Glenn Beck wasn't the high council speaker.

Natalie said...

Perfect. My favs are the ward mission leader, primary pres and YW pres. Thanks for the laughs, once again!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Maddy Pie said...

I want to be in that ward! :)

Jessica said...

Orson Scott Card should be the new Apostle cause that's how very much I love him.

Hollyween said...

Oh, how did I miss this??
I'm so behind on your blog. It's sad. The cat post is next. Have you seen my blog today? That's my excuse...


I just read all the comments and Denae's is my favorite. There's always a "mouth breather" in the ward. And having the mouth breather be Jon Heder as Napolean is priceless.

This might be my favorite post EVER. And I wish I had some witty additions I could add, but I totally don't. You need a ward organist though. Got one of those yet? Maybe it could be Brooke White.

Lorena said...

Where do you come up with these things?

Margaret said...

How about Snoop Dog for ward music leader? Apparently, he's converted http://cnnentertainment.co.nr/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/01 (check the date at the top)

Blue said...

You omitted the famous Mike Lookinland...who has had more airtime than probably all these people combined. Of course he's better known as Bobby Brady. His Wikipedia entry verifies his Mormonness.

He could be the target of Steven's missionary efforts. I have a hunch this could make the Famous First Ward into an amazing Bunch!

the wikipedia page
American Latter Day Saints has a really comprehensive list...but most of them aren't entertainment obviously. Fun to read though!

Amy said...

Ok, whoever said Mitt should be stake president is awesome. Plus, didn't he quit his job as stake president to run for US president?

Also, the comment about Katherine Heigl being the girl that the missionaries try to reactive is HUH-LARIOUS.

Susan said...

OK, very funny but I'm a little miffed you left out my recent encounter with a famous member - David Archuleta - DAVID for YSA Rep!

Linda said...

I'm a late-comer (to the First Ward and to your blog) I am Ashley Carter's mom and I linked on after I saw the gorgeous photos you took of my grandsons. THANK YOU!!
This post was hilarious and brilliant!! I'm your new follower - not that you need another. . .

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://erefewyj.dreamstation.com/izypygeq.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ixawecodul.lookseekpages.com/rosiwur.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Glad to materialize here. Good day or night everybody!

Sure, you’ve heard about me, because my fame is running in front of me,
my parents call me Peter.
Generally I’m a venturesome analyst. for a long time I’m keen on online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to find out how to win not loose.
Please visit my diary. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be glad would you find time to leave your opinion.