I have two cats, Buttercup and Daisy. I was only supposed to have Daisy, but Buttercup needed a home so I adopted her too. I didn't tell Carl. I was hoping that since they looked alike he wouldn't notice. He did eventually notice, but by then it was too late. You can't separate sisters, right?
People either love cats or they hate them. People who hate them have never really had one. Except for Denae. She has one but she still hates them. She has issues.
Teasing people who hate cats is amusing. For instance, I have some friends named Karen and Mark. They were convinced for at least a year that I had named my cats after them and they were completely nonplussed. It was great.
My brother-in-law Jeff is highly allergic to cats. Whenever he comes over he is in a Benadryl coma, which is very pleasant if a little boring. He thinks he is allergic to my children too, which is possible because they love our cats.
Jeff sent me an email the other day. It was from the NY Times Magazine. Although I am a cat person, it sicks me out. If you don't want to read the whole thing, here is a summary:
There is a parasite that might migrate into people's brains which makes them more susceptible to being eaten by cats. Gross.
Jeff is excused for life from my house. I completely understand. I'm not giving up my cats though. They would never eat me. They only like IAMS.
By REBECCA SKLOOT
Published: December 9, 2007
Here’s a little-known and slightly terrifying fact: According to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60 million people in the United States are infected with a parasite that may migrate into their brains and alter their behavior in a way that — among other things — may leave them more likely to be eaten by cats. New research into this common parasite — Toxoplasma gondii — may offer clues to the phenomenon known to the unscientifically-minded as “crazy cat lady” syndrome.
The basic facts: Toxo can infect many species, but it undergoes sexual reproduction only in cat digestive tracts. Once the parasite reproduces, the cat passes it in its feces, where the next unwitting host picks it up by digesting it (intentionally or unintentionally). Then the cycle starts again. In the long run, Toxo must find its way back to a cat’s stomach to survive. So the parasite has evolved a complicated system for taking over its hosts’ brains to increase the likelihood that they’ll be eaten by cats.
By REBECCA SKLOOT
Published: December 9, 2007
Here’s a little-known and slightly terrifying fact: According to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60 million people in the United States are infected with a parasite that may migrate into their brains and alter their behavior in a way that — among other things — may leave them more likely to be eaten by cats. New research into this common parasite — Toxoplasma gondii — may offer clues to the phenomenon known to the unscientifically-minded as “crazy cat lady” syndrome.
The basic facts: Toxo can infect many species, but it undergoes sexual reproduction only in cat digestive tracts. Once the parasite reproduces, the cat passes it in its feces, where the next unwitting host picks it up by digesting it (intentionally or unintentionally). Then the cycle starts again. In the long run, Toxo must find its way back to a cat’s stomach to survive. So the parasite has evolved a complicated system for taking over its hosts’ brains to increase the likelihood that they’ll be eaten by cats.
How? Scientists are still figuring that out. Research conducted this year by Toxo expert Robert Sapolsky of Stanford, and also by Joanne Webster, professor of parasite epidemiology at Imperial College London, has found that Toxo actually causes rats to become attracted to the smell of cat urine.
Might Toxo explain why some humans develop an unhealthful attraction to cats and apparently become immune to the smell of their urine? And might that explain the mystery of crazy cat ladies? “That idea doesn’t seem completely crazy,” Sapolsky says. “But there’s no data supporting it.”
Not yet. But Jaroslav Flegr, an evolutionary biologist at Charles University in the Czech Republic, is looking into it. He has spent years studying Toxo’s impact on human behavior. (He found, for example, that people infected with Toxo have slower reflexes and are 2.5 times as likely to get into car accidents.) He won’t have results of his study for a while and refuses to speculate. But Joanne Webster says the connection isn’t much of a stretch: “In our evolutionary past, perhaps we were eaten by cats, too,” she says.

30 comments:
So that's what's wrong with that girl that got booted off The Bachelor this week. I am allergic to all fur...the zoo is even a bummer for me. My mom likes cats more than she likes me and got two as soon as I moved out.
I have two cats also.
I had one of them before Zach and I were married, oh... the fights my husband and my cat had over bed rights-- wait.. they still fight over that.
He is seriously jealous. Kynzee loves EVERYONE, but hates Zach.
I think it is hilarious.
Zach does not.
He's conveniently allergic to ALL of you, not just the cats. I don't think they'd eat you.
I read the article. Feline freakiness. I'm with Jeff (though I don't mind the Benadryl coma at all).
Meow.
You're just giving me more and more reasons to believe I'm right about my deep hatred of cats.... I'm pretty confident no cat will ever eat me. (GROSS)
Maybe you think this is interesting because you already have the parasites in. your. brain. Creepy.
you may think they only like IAMS, but your cat is really thinking, "boy, I can't wait for you to die and I can eat your liver." (BTW does carl know you pay up for the good pet food?) get a dog.
I think you have a creative yet somewhat deranged family member... that HAS to be made-up.
So was this the product of automatic posting? Cool. I hope you are having fun wherever you are.
I never want to own an animal, but I think it's hilarious that you snuck an extra cat into the house.
Why don't you sneak Buster in and then everyone will be happy. (Except Carl and Jeff--but anyone who can deal with two cats can surely deal with three.)
I have a cat named Leeroi. He is the best! I have always loved cats. I have friends who dislike and are allergic to cats, but they deal with it. We got Leeroi 2 weeks after we got married. He's always been our "first born son". When Gracee came along, he definitely got put on the backburner. Joseph says Leeroi should be named Pavlov because I'm at his BECK AND CALL and HE GETS whatever he wants. I'll drop everything that I'm doing to get him fresh dripped water out of the sink, food, or to let him outside. Leeroi doesn't like Joseph as much as me...I wonder why? haha
Didn't you see "Tales From the Darkside: Cat From Hell?" I haven't been able to look at cats ever since without being creeped out.
Whoa, very informative.
I love the fact that you had Carl in the dark about having two cats. Most men aren't very detail oriented but, Carl must be because he noticed. You should have told him he was seeing double and he needed to get to the eye doctor.
Wow. I just lost a little bit of respect for you with that cat thing. But since you're already so cool, it doesn't amount to much.
My theory is that when Satan took the 1/3 of Heaven, cats followed him out. They are simply his minions.
Okay, so I had a cat growing up and I can say that I neither lover or hate cats in fact I am indifferent about them. I do like dogs better but I'm not a big dog person either,although I do have a dog. So what does that do for your theory?
i love denae even more. i had a cat, i hated him, and i hate all cats now.
i like rochelle's theory. evil minions.
see, it's also fun to reciprocate- teasing people who love cats. good stuff.
That is seriously disgusting and disturbing! I have had a few cats growing up and a couple of dogs and I am HIGHLY allergic to all animals with fur, and I hate cats! So how did I deal with it growing up? Well, if I just suffer for about a month or so then I just become immune to just that animal. But still highly allergic to every other animal with fur.
Now I don't hate kittens, because who could hate something so cute and playful? But I am more of a dog person. To me, all cats are drag queens.
I don't know that we will ever have any kind of a pet just because of my allergies.
Would you ever walk into someones home and say oh, I hate that sofa. then why walk in to someones home and say I hate cats!? To each his own. There are plenty of reasons I can think of to not like cats however I like them anyway.
We also have two cats. Cats are WAY easier than dogs. I am definately not a dog person. There are people who like dogs and then there are "dog people".
"Dog people" have issues...
The article was disgusting, but just furthers my belief that cats are for crazy people. Sorry! By the way, I never really believed you named your cats after Mark and I, (but it did bother me when you called them by my name in my presence!) While my inlaws have been here, they have been telling me how sweet and wonderful their cat is, esp. when my father in law was sick. All I could think about was if their cat came near me, I would have to control myself to not hurl it across the room. Mark's sister called to say her cat died, (I was secretly pleased, one less cat in the world!, but felt sort of bad for her daughter). I recently read an article that Cats are carnivores only, no matter how domesticated they are, given the chance, they will eat you! If I were you, I would sleep with door locked and the cats on the other side. Much better to just have a dog!
check this out from the CDC, toxoplasma gondii can cause schizophrenia too! Cat's are just disease causing creatures that can make people go insane! http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol9no11/03-0143.htm
Tease me all you want... I will never cross over to the dark side.
Cats. Ewww.
I love cats and I love hamsters.
Sue me. Hate me. Mock me.
I love cats.
I am pretty indifferent to cats. What category am I in then? I do have a neighbor though with two cats. One of them has cancer and is on kitty chemo. That seems to be taking it too far. There is a real treatment out there for cat cancer. It's called permanent sleep.
Okay, I need to weigh in on this subject...I do HATE cats and here is why: http://papaolson.blogspot.com/2007/11/why-i-hate-cats.html
Kinda sheds some new light on those kids at the zoo...maybe they lived in a house full of cats.
All animals are fine to look at, just as long as they aren't in my house. We've had a dog and a bird (I gave them away), and now I'm finished. I have three boys. I don't need any more pets.
My husband is conveniently allergic to cats, so my kids don't even bother with that one.
I like big dogs that eat cats.
I'm with Denae. We had cats when I was a kid, and I hate them!
Wait, I thought your cats were dark brownish/black? What happened to those cats? Our pumpkin looks just like these. Would you like to adopt a neutered male to?
I hated cats before I had one. Then I had one and became a cat lover. Then I decided I wanted a dog, but my husband said we couldn't get one until the cat died. He lived 17 years. We just got a dog. I hate cats again. The end.
That disease freaks me out.
And I LOVE LOVE LOVE cats. I wonder if I'll be a crazy cat lady when I'm old. John won't allow me to have a cat. He is so cruel.
Plus we have relatives with "allergies". So, ya know...
Post a Comment