Monday, February 4, 2008

We Scream

Either someone didn't pay the power bill, or the lights went out all over the city last night. Max thought it might be a perfect opportunity to score some free ice cream. A quest was born.

Max prepared carefully for his journey in a black-as-night hoodie. We first drove to the local Baskin-Robbins as per Ellie's suggestion. Alas, their power was on. No free ice cream there.
Next stop, Raley's. Spooky. Max conned Henry into going in with him, but to no avail. They were closing up the freezers with cardboard to retain the cold air. Suckers. Two hours later, following candlelit baths and still no power, Max and I returned to Raley's to check on the status of the ice cream. It was soft! Skippy Lou! Max was convinced that the ice cream would be his. He brought the clerk over to the freezer to note the the meltiness. He called another clerk over to test the air. Could he have some? Please?
The evil clerks would not comply. They offered Max ice cream for half price. Please, Mom? But it's Sunday! We don't buy things on Sunday. But Mom! The sun is down. The Sabbath is over. I paused. Such diligence should be rewarded, right? Plus, they have Thin Mint. His ox is in the mire, or in the ice cream, rather. Look at his cute face and pleading eyes.
Sweet Victory is Max's. Half-price ain't bad, right?

30 comments:

Ashley said...

Very clever. But now I am dying for some thin mint ice cream. Dang you Max!

Audry said...

Nice...great way to reward diligence. I wanted ice cream last night to. To bad my power was still on.

D-dawg said...

I might post about our power outage adventures too. Ours were not as exciting as yours though!

Paige said...

I have no idea where Max gets that obsession with food combined with cleverness at procuring it.

Ellie said...

Excellent work young grasshopper. I find the locally owned ice cream establishments are more ready to give the goods for free. Perhaps start courting one and get to know the workers there. Yours is a noble quest.

Nortorious said...

Ask Dx what happens when HE goes out on Sundays.
No Sundaes for him.

Ilene said...

The hoodie definitely gave him some negotiating power.

kara jayne said...

Seriously you are the coolest Mom to do this. What a great post and memory!

Kelly said...

I've never thought about scoring free ice cream during a power outage, and I'm quite shocked about that. Max is brilliant.

I subscribe to the same sundown theory, can't wait to use it on ice cream!

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with previous comments...that child is brilliant.

I like how he took Henry with him at Raley's...taking the adorable little brother is a solid strategy...sorry, that didn't work out.

Max is a great looking kid. Whenever I see pictures of him I become covetous of his eyelashes. Seriously, why do boys get the great eyes and lashes.

Christie said...

Oh, you've raised him right, that's for sure. And thin mint is out now? Must get me some of that.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i am laughing so hard. your whole family is so off. i mean that in the nicest way. your sister sneaks her kids under barbed wire fences for fun, you drive your child around the city on sunday night hoping to score free ice cream in a power outage, another sister names seahorse lawn ornaments... it just seems so weird when you say it out loud. but ya gotta love the blog fodder.

Unknown said...

Our christian heritage has origins in jewish traditions, right? Thus, he is completely justified in the "sun down" theory.

but how did the clerk ring up ice cream for half price if the power was out?

Jenna Harris said...

That is hilarious. I would never have thought of searching for free ice cream in a power outage.

Celia Fae said...

Good question, Shannan. Their registers were on a generator so we could still buy stuff. And as a matter of fact, my Jewish heritage allows for following the Law of Moses.

Andrea, you're on to us.

Penny said...

What a clever family. I would have never thought about free ice cream during a power outage either. Does it really count as shopping on Sunday if the ice cream was free? Hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

As one of your readers that is entrenched in the Jewish culture, let me say that observant Jews will shop after there are 4 stars in the sky on Saturday night.

(There is also a short service to seperate the Shabbath from the beginning of the week.)

These said observant folks also "bend the rules" on Saturdays and sometimes have a freind who is not Jewish act as a "Shabbos Goy," who turns on lights for them and such. Maybe not the kindest term ("Shabbos Goy") to use, I realize.

Heather said...

No rocky road?

Lorena said...

Yeah, my Mom tries the Jewish Sabbath thing on me, too.

What I like about that picture is:

1. Two bags for only ice cream? I think more was purchased.

2. Love the picture of Christ in the background. He looks a little disappointed in his disciples.

Please tell me your power is back on!

Alex said...

What a creative use of a power outage! Sieze the moment Max! Yay!

Jenibelle said...

Celia. I can't comment. I am righteously horrified by Paige's blog.

Bridget said...

If ever there was a best power outage blog post, that would be it.

Jessica said...

Would anyone besides a Greenbaum think of that and then do it??!

Jake said...

I love this idea! I had no idea this was even a possibility. Can't wait to try it next power-out.

I also like that the Savior is looking over Max's shoulder in the photo. Cute memory!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

can I tell you a secret?

shhhhhh. (come closer...)

sometimes we go out for ice cream on Sunday. my grandpa used to take us and I didn't know it was "wrong" until I was like, 17. My grandpa was the stake patriarch....

Amber said...

The kid is brilliant. And the pictures are classic. :-)

Travelin'Oma said...

How fun! I would never think of going somewhere during a power outage. (I'm actually quite afraid of the dark.)

Hollyween said...

Mmmm.... thin mint ice cream. Do you think Lisa will care if I have some? She'll never know because this is yesterday's post so who's gonna read it, right?

Max looks pleased with his purchase. We are evil and BUY ice cream on Sunday's sometimes. It tastes really sinful that way.

Linsey said...

Okay, so what is the Sabbath rule anyway -- sundown, midnight, whenever the craving for anything not in the pantry strikes -- I should have asked you that for GHD!!

crystal said...

hahaha! My mom & I have used that "the sun is down, the sabbath is over" line on one another for YEARS. The greatest self-permission ever. And what a mom, to go on power-outage missions. I just tell my kids to go huddle under some blankets and leave me alone--I'm grouchy when I'm cold.