Sunday, January 2, 2011

Is this corn hand-shucked?




It's January 2. How are those resolutions coming along? Does everyone have the stereotypical health goals? Have you started or are you waiting for Monday? I'm ready to go back on plan. Last week was slightly disastrous for my plant based diet thingy. Apparently it is possible to gain a pound every day. It worries me because I wasn't even super deviant. What would happen if I went hog wild?

I know some people are considering trying the plant based diet that I wrote about. Links on the sidebar. Here's the rundown for those who asked:

•One pound of raw vegetables.
•One pound of cooked vegetables.
•At least five fruits a day.
•One cup of beans.
•Half cup of whole grain.




You should do it. It sounds crazy and impossible but if you just suck it up for six weeks I think you'll notice a difference. If I was starting tomorrow, this is what I would do:




  • Read the book, except I wouldn't read Eat to Live. I'd read the companion book, called Eat for Health. It breaks down the diet a little better than the original.

  • Go to the grocery store and load up on produce. I'd make sure to get at least one vegetable that I hadn't cooked before.

  • I'd also buy some canned beans, a pack of whole wheat wraps, hummus, and fresh salsa. Maybe some tofu. Amy's soups. Unsweetened oatmeal. Stuff for spinach shake.

  • Spend an hour cutting up lettuce, celery, carrots, green beans, pineapple, and other snacky foods and putting them in baggies.

  • Be prepared for Day Three. It's the worst.

  • Be prepared for Week Three. It's the best. Most people lose about ten pounds the first three weeks. Such a rush.

That's enough for one day. If you live near me, you should beg me to take you on a field trip to Trader Joe's to show you all of the deliciousness I've discovered.


More things that have worked for me:



  • Make sure you eat enough beans or you will be starving, which is bad.

  • Don't be hungry. Go crazy with the plants.

  • Surf vegan websites to get ideas of things to eat.

  • Check out vegetarian books from the library and read a little every day to keep yourself on track.

  • Take beano if you are having digestive issues.

  • Tell yourself it is only for six weeks so you don't get overwhelmed. Then do the six weeks without cheating.

In case you think I'm super perfect at all of this, know that I'm not. But at least I'm trying and it's second nature now. Feel free to email me celiafae @ gmail.com if you want to complain about how hard it is to get off of sugar, among other things.



Baby toes. On plan, but only if you don't swallow. Adorable niece Zoraya.

14 comments:

brooke said...

This eating plan completely intrigues me. I love reading about this while stuffing my face with oreos. Is that weird?

I actually think if all of us were really living the word of wisdom we would be eating like this. ..hmmm.

Erin said...

I should have read this 5 minutes ago and then I wouldn't have had that cookie. Dangit. I'm totally impressed with your fortitude. My parents are giving the PBD a chance. Phil and I are doing WW with a vegetarian twist and Britton's counting calories with his iPhone. We'll see who is the Biggest Loser. Probably not me if I keep eating cookies.

I'm going to steal the book from my Mom when she's done.

Question: do you exercise regularly with this diet? And if u do are u able to have enough energy?

Heidi said...

Your blog is always a fun read, and I have to say, I like the diet info, too. I don't know if I'm ready to totally get rid of sugar, but I'm thinking maybe soon. Thanks for the tips.

Nortorious said...

No. No no no.

Lindsey said...

I would love your Trader Joes treat list. You should just make it a blog post.

Good Time Charlie said...

I have been on a See's Candy diet plan for the holidays. I know all about day three. It is the day your body realizes that there has been no sugar input and it goes WHACKO. It is akin to a drug withdrawal, of the worst kind. I am not looking forward to it. But once you get through it, you know you can stick to anything. Good luck to all who are restarting their healthy diet engines.

Jeff Olson said...

Well, I had my first spinach, pomegranate, flax seed, banana, cherry, and almond milk smoothie this morning. It is 11:51 and I am starting to feel really hungry! I hitting Trader Joes in few minutes...probably not good to go there hungry though!

Jake said...

I keep watching for your face on People magazine. You know how they always do that inspirational January issue? You could totally rock it...

Brigitta said...

Yes celia at trader joes has taught me lots of tasty treats healthy meals...thanks.

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with Gabi...I think you should be on People.

I want to eat Zoraya up...not just her toes...all of that sweet baby. I guess that isn't on plan, huh? She is carbon based...not plant based...

Robin said...

I'm glad you posted this. I have done pretty well through the holidays but I'm ready to get it together and start feeling lots better. A step I have to take along with all your great advice is to get rid of all the junk in the house and I think it will be gone today! 2011 is gonna be a great year hu?

Angela said...

I worked out 20 days last month doing hard hour 1/2 workouts AND I tracked my calories. I didn't lose a single pound, but I guess I should be happy I didn't gain either. It's depressing, though. I'm ready to try the diet.

Elizabeth said...

This post is brill!
You are so right about day 3 and week 3. I have no access to the www at the mo but I am ordering the Eat for Health book as soon as I get it back.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Love your blog(s)!