It's been ages since I've done a family update. If you plan on reading this, you might want to use the bathroom and get a snack first because it's a long one.
Alice having some SODA in her sippy cup with her candy lunch.
On the Valentine's lunch menu: shredded cheese mixed with Nerds. Her own creation.
Regressing with Grandma Gail when new baby Zoraya was visiting.
Alice with her best friend, the Old Navy dog. Don't judge me.
Being the youngest of four, Alice has picked up some great tricks. She can set the table by herself, sort the silverware, pump by herself on the swing, load and shoot a Nerf gun, etc. Unfortunately, she has also picked up on some negative traits. She has acquired all kinds of insulting words like idiot and genius, said sarcastically. I haven't heard any swear words yet, so I guess I should be grateful. She got a "choose the right" stop-and-go sign at Primary that we use to remind her to say nice words. She said the Holy Ghost could help her say nice words and then she could sleep with Jesus. Sounds scary to me.
Henry looks a little naughty in this picture.
Playing king of the tower with cousins Charlotte, Sol, and Fiona.
Cousins visiting the new baby.
Henry's Bear Cub markings.
Henry, age 8, is growing up. I group him with Alice as a little kid, but he's almost nine. Henry and Alice still share a room, and it's the cutest thing. I keep thinking Henry will get exasperated with her, but they like to hang out and read books at night. Neither one of them can sleep if the other person isn't there.
There was a big push for Henry to finish his Bear award this month. He concentrated and worked on it with Carl the Scout Dad and he accomplished his goal. He was very proud.
Henry has finally become a reader. He's working his way through Harry Potter but he took a break to read Lightening Thief. We saw the movie together the other day and he liked it but it gave him bad dreams. I love that the author uses Greek mythology in the series. One of my favorite books as a kid was D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths, and I've purchased it for each one of my kids at one time. It gets worn out because they read it so much. It's expensive but worth every penny. Greek mythology is so prevalent in literature that to have a working knowledge of it is invaluable. Soap box finished.
Claire and Sol and her fingerless gloves so she can dial her phone.
Please note the super shiny hair. Claire has discovered hair brushes and she has been taking good care of her mane. She also invested in some make up the other day. I have no problem with that.
Claire, age 12, has some super duper self-esteem. She decorates her room and our refrigerator with her stellar algebra tests. She has some excellent friends that she competes with for grades, and it makes a difference. She might also be in competition with her older brother, but I'm pretending not to notice.
My relatively uncoordinated daughter recently discovered she has a knack for volleyball after playing with the church team. She has been practicing with me and it is fun. It makes me want to join a volleyball team, but not enough to actually do it. Volleyball would be a good sport for Claire. She has extra-long monkey arms.
I took Claire and Henry skiing last weekend and they are both improving. We took a difficult run at the end of the day and she recited prayers the whole way down, but she made it and the positive affirmations seemed to work. It's hard to ski when your body grows so quickly. The balance gets thrown off.
Max demonstrating his super power of stuffing mass quantities of food in his face.
More regression. Picture taken right before Max strong-armed Henry to the ground.
Max's happy place at Alcatraz.
Max, age 15, would prefer that I never take his picture or write anything about him. He'll never read this. Max just started swimming on the HS swim team under much duress. He misses his old routine of napping after school and then staying up all night. I must say, he's in an awfully good mood when he comes home from practice. Exertion agrees with him.
A milestone was achieved last week when Max voluntarily did unasked chores before he requested permission to hang out with friends. Nothing softens parents like a boy doing house work.
I was complaining to my sister Paige the other day about some issues I'm having with Max, and she said, "Does he go to school? Yes. Does he go to seminary? Yes. Then what is your problem?" I am trying to focus on the basics and truthfully, if I had to go to seminary, then school, then swimming, I would be exhausted, so I've got to cut him some slack. I just wish there wasn't homework to worry about.
Extreme close up.
Carl on an outing with my family to Fenton's ice cream parlor. The waiters brought Carl's banana split before any of ours and he had to do some serious protecting. He Does Not Share Food.
On Carl's 44th birthday in December.
Carl is finishing his work for Bank of America this week because he will be starting a new job with Cisco Systems next week. He is very excited to get back into manufacturing in the Silicon Valley, which is where his career began. Carl worked for B of A for eight years, a quarter of which was spent in Charlotte, North Carolina. He had to travel there frequently. I've never been and it feels weird to know nothing about that part of his life. I joke that he's going to have to say goodbye to his other wife and family. Ha. He could never handle another one of me.
Carl is proud of his citrus trees that have been producing delicious fruit, and he's discovered a new way to run that prevents injury. He learned it from the book "Born to Run." He ran thirteen miles on his birthday, just to see if he could. People see him running all over town and they want to talk about it. He doesn't jog, he runs. In short-shorts. Then he comes home and weighs himself to see if he's sweated off any weight. Manorexic. Carl finds it remarkable that he weighs less in the morning than in the evening. Too bad he's a guy, because charting his weight and hormone fluctuations could be a new hobby for him.
At Carl's birthday dinner the night before New Year's. We pretended the balloons were for him.
I lost my mojo last month but I'm trying to rediscover my will to live. Sometimes the groundhog day aspect of my life is so tedious. I wonder what makes me love the repetitive details sometimes and despise them at others? Don't answer that.
Last week when I was feeling glum I decided to take advantage of the sixty-five degree weather and go for a hike by myself in the hills. It got me out of my funk, so I'll have to remember that remedy. The most amusing part of my hike was being chased by a momma cow that was blocking the path. Cows hate me, but I got back at it by throwing rocks to make it move.
I had the privilege of giving my new niece Zoraya her first bath a couple of days ago. I love seeing little naked newborn sweetness and snuggling a clean baby. I'm lucky to have so many babies in my life that I don't have to bear. Speaking of birthing babies, my best cousin Anna is pregnant with numbers six and seven. Twins. That's what happens when you are pregnant and elderly. Anna and I have shared war stories about our similar kids through the years, but this is all new territory now. Maybe she'll give the boy baby to me.

12 comments:
excellent update. I read that parts that were most interesting to me. One of these days I will get my ducks in a row and post an update too.
i took your advice and read this with a snack in the bathroom. i blog in commodito.
thank you for posting documentation of paige's existence.
love her.
i want henry as a son in law. i've made no secrets about him being my favorite.
big C's obsession is scary, but i'm relieved to see him eating the fenton's.
do you need a cd to help regain your mojo? lay back on my musical sofa and tell me of your inadequacies, and i'll hook you up.
I'm glad for you that Carl won't be traveling anymore. Will he still work from home?
Why the short shorts? Your teenagers haven't put a stop to that embarrassment?
I want to see you throwing rocks at a cow and Carl running a la "Born to Run." Is he barefoot or in those weird sock/shoe things? (I almost said that I want to see Carl running in short shorts, but that implies something that I didn't mean!)
I read every word...loved evey word and didn't even need to hydrate prior to reading...
Okay, you know I have to zero in on your mentioning that you have been in a funk. Thank you for sharing that with us...and I'm really sorry. I hate not feeling like myself and the mundane part of daily life over and over can make a girl go mad...slowly.
I don't like Cranium Hullabalo, either...you know, because it makes me have to move about the room. I enjoyed your play on words when you mentioned repeated play possibly bursting your Cranium. We usually pull out Memory at about this age. They have really cute versions of little kid games from Fisher Price. They come in little blue tubs. We have a little matching game that looks like Oreos. All the kids have loved it.
When I read that Carl has been working with Bank of America I thought, "Hey, my little brother does, too." Then when you said that he worked out of Charlotte, N.C. I gasped because that is where my little brother lives. My brother is in media. He shoots all of the training videos for the Bank of America company. I wonder if they have ever run into each other? Ask Carl if he has ever met, Frank Schwartz with LEC Media that shot the videos.
Thanks for the update. I enjoyed all of it.
Yeah for Carl! I am the one out of it, did not know he had accepted new offer!!! Hurray for you and your famiy, that is truly fab. Blessings all around. Love the updates. Hope we didn't encourage the makeup habit too much when we borrowed Claire for the day. The girls had fun doing "makeovers". After they were finished, I think they need to undo it a bit with a "makeunder".
LOVE the family update! You make me laugh and that is a good thing!
Thanks for sharing , this post was great. Your (big) daugther is stunning!
Try Memory as a game for your (little ) daughter.
I hope your funk stays away.
Hey! At least Alice remembered the Holy Ghost this time. At least the lesson wasn't about "pretzels" this time. I'm making progress.
I can't believe Alice sets the table. That's insane to me. I love her valentines sweater. That's why I need a girl. Who didn't lose her mojo in January? It was a terrible month. It might take a few months to recover. I'm thinking Easter.
Robin, I read your update. Your ducks must have been in their rows.
Andrea, I desperately need a Mojo CD. I want new music. Please no Red Wine by Lady Gaga. Sick of it.
Nor, the short shorts are what real runners wear. I think he'll be working at hoome half of the time. Yay for me.
Lauren, I asked him if he knew your brother and he didn't. Weird coincidence though.
Charlie, I can't believe how much make up they've been piling on. My mother would be proud.
Kimberly, I need to research running socks. I didn't know those existed. I would def get him some and he would be happy.
Coreen, I'm glad I could provide you with some entertainment.
Memory game. Good idea, Elizabeth. They'll have that at Target and then I can buy myself stuff also. win, win.
Erika, Pretzels, Holy Ghost, she likes it all. She loves the handouts you make for her. Scrapbooking comes in handy.
And Ashley. Setting the table is easy if you stage it. I'm going to send an email to tell you how.
nobody else is going to props you for the D'Aulaires? really? i was so into it when i was little that i grew up to be a classics major.
caution the kids that greek myths are just for cultural references and erudition, though; there are no marketable skills in that rabbit hole.
Post a Comment