Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blurb Bites (1 of 3)

I don't know about the rest of you, but the way I justify spending time on my blog is that it is a record for posterity. A journal with pictures. One small problem, though. I doubt my posterity will be checking blogger looking for posts from me. I decided to publish my blog, which would accomplish the record part and also serve as a backup for what I've already done. I have heard horror stories of people being locked out of their blogs and no longer being able to access their information.


I think most people in the blogging world have heard of blurb.com, which is a company that serves as a vanity press for people who want to make their own books. Blurb used to have a way to "slurp" blog posts and pictures into their software, thus enabling the publishing of a bound book of blog posts. The photo above is my original attempt at blurb. It is softbound because I cheaped out at the last minute. It cost about 65 cents for a single sided page.

Blurb is no longer capable of "slurping" posts from blogger into their software, which is just as well since I was not happy with my finished product. Sure, it was great to have a bound book, and the photo printing quality was sufficient, but the end did not justify the means. The entire book, which is slightly over 100 pages, took more than forty hours to complete. The software was frustrating and the process was too slow. My kids adore reading it, though. It's already bent. I should have ordered two.

I looked around for other companies that can publish blogs. Shutterfly will publish books and has some layouts that will take large amounts of text, but they are mucho expensivo and transferring the text from the blog into Shutterfly is tedious. Their pictures are great, though.

There are a couple of other companies out there that will publish blogs, and one or two that will back them up. I tried them. I didn't like them either. I never actually published on any of them because I finally figured out that my problem with blog books is that they read like a book, and I want them to read like my blog.

The above picture shows a sample Saturday Synopsis, which is where I write about the details of my family's week. It's the kind of stuff that is boring now but hopefully will be worth something someday. None of the blog publishing places I found had an option for printing pictures followed by a paragraph, followed by another picture, which is my primary format in writing my blog. They required that I cut and paste all text after downloading the pictures. A huge drag. Plus, it just never looked right.

After messing around for a couple of months, I finally figured out a couple of easy and satisfactory ways to make a hard copy of a blog. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post, Quick and Dirty (2 of 3).



Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Ashley said...

I will be the first of many to thank you for taking on this informative post series. I probably spent 20 hours on my blurb book before I gave up. It sits 90% finished somewhere in cyberspace. I will probably never go back to it, and I hope you are about to give me the perfect solution for blog books. It is lame that blurb won't slurp anymore. I don't want one blog book from blurb and another from elsewhere. Sometimes I wonder if it would be so wrong to just print the whole dang thing out in color and put it in a 3-ring binder.

Anyhoo--thanks for this. And thanks for the tip about the jean bars. Do tell more. Where can I find such a place? I need professional guidance on this most crucial of decisions.

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post! I used blurb for my first book and went back a month or two ago only to discover they no longer slurp blogger. I was so disappointed because I couldn't find anything else. I've got to know what you found!! Tomorrow can't come soon enough....

Lauren in GA said...

I am really, really interested in this!!

I have been printing my blog off by just printing off each post but the picture quality is horrible and it scrunches up the post.

We your loyal followers look to you, our fearless leader, to help us. I think it is fabulous you made Paige a book ☺.

♥Shally said...

I spent over 25 hours on my blurb book, and then when I tried to publish it, something went wrong with the software and it shut my computer down. I can't get Blurb to work at all now. I wanted to CRY!!!

I really want to publish my blog (for the same reasons you do) so I am excited to see what you have come up with!

tawnya said...

I'm so happy! I've spent so long over the holidays trying to figure out a quicker than snapfish way of publishing...anxiously waiting!

Kath said...

I hate to be continudes...hurry, hurry!!

Jennie said...

Oh... thank you so much for sharing your words of wisdom. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for posts 2 and 3. :) Have a great day!

Lauren said...

You must be thinking about me. I have been having MAJOR fits because blurb won't slurp blogger. I can't wait to read what you've found. Thanks, Celia. :)

Jenibelle said...

ooooooooo......keeping us waiting, salivating.....on pins and needles....

Christie said...

Oh, sweet fancy moses! You have no idea the music that this is to my ears. I am currently cutting and pasting my way through Word to try and create a document of my blog I can get printed and bound somewhere. Tell me there's an easier way. Please.

Ilene said...

I'm with everyone else. I knew there was a reason for my procrastinating the tedious horror of creating a blurb book.

I'm on pins and needles. Thanks for doing the research, I do appreciate it.

Nancy said...

I can't wait to hear your ideas.

Margaret said...

This is fascinating. Thanks for posting it. I am interested to see what your solution is.

I was going to make a Blurb book at the beginning of last year but alas....I don't have that kind of extra time.

kara jayne said...

I will join my voice with the masses in saying that I will be waiting with baited breath for your results!! Thank you!!

Hazen5 said...

Thank you!!! Keep the information coming. I did a blurb book and it did turn out great, but now they don't slurp! Help!!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i am impressed at your ability to reel people in.

also, forgot to mention yesterday that i both abhor and respect your ability to leave me singing annoying songs all the time. "if you're lost, you can look, and you will find me..."

Lorena said...

I can't wait...especially since I like it quick and dirty...wait, did that sound naughty?

Liz said...

I've really wanted to do this, too! I can't wait to enjoy the fruits of your labor!