Claire, 11, took this lovely self portrait. I adore her sparkly eyes. She has been getting ready to perform in the "Music Man" at the Danville Children's Musical Theater. Performances start next Thursday. Get your tickets here. Her part is Alma (not the BOM guy) and she has many lines. Part of her preparation includes wearing suntan pantyhose, cherry red lipstick and mascara whenever possible. Last night when I tucked her in I got a mouthful of red. I'd say she's ready.
Henry, 7, had to go to bed early tonight because he has a holiday from school tomorrow and that means he will wake up before the sun rises to watch TV. He has to get his shows in before Claire wakes up. Strategy counts when you are the third child.
Henry experienced some good old indoctrination on Monday night for FHE when he participated in a sign waving rally for my least favorite and most controversial proposition. I'm glad it was dark so he couldn't see people flipping him the bird. He had a great time and wants to know when he can be part of another campaign. I hope it won't be very soon.
I had a cold this week and I made sure everyone knew about it. The best remedy turned out to be a tent held over my rice cooker. The steam worked wonders.
In other news, my nursery helper at church moved away and I am now the only person with 12 babies in the nursery. Carl and the other bishopric member have been recruited (by me) to serve as subs until I get another helper. I anticipate that the calling will be filled posthaste.
The highlight of my week was dinner at Paige's the night after the election. We (including Nancy there in the corner) discussed and dissected the results and I found it to be therapeutic. The best line of the night included something about a heterosexual free-range chicken taking a high-speed train to its wedding. Maybe you had to have been there.
Oh, I love this photo of Alice and Max doing a duet. Max, 14, has been around a lot more than usual due to the completion of his athletic season and we're glad. I thought he might drive me crazy, but he's been practicing his guitar, playing with Alice, and doing house jobs. Oh, and homework. He is permitted to use his computer for an hour a night and he sits on the couch shrieking hysterically when he reads something amusing. It's slightly scary.
Carl, 42, also participated in the FHE activities with his own homemade sign. I did my part by obtaining the materials. He opposes ALL non-traditional marriages, including polygamy. I guess I won't have a sister-wife to do my dishes after all. He enjoyed having spirited discussions about racism versus gender specification with people who stopped at the corner to holler at him. He likes to think he came out ahead.

25 comments:
Max & Alice--that picture is amazing! They are look at each other with such earnest intensity! It's a great picture.
I like Carl's smile in the last picture.
Never thought of the rice steamer for a cold or flu. Genius, thank you.
Paige goes to Burke Williams for a steam. You go to General Electric.
The picture of the Max and Alice jam session is priceless.
I'm with Diane, my favorite is the pic of Max and Alice singing together! That is so cute!
Priceless pic of Max and Alice. When faced with the reality, real men would never opt for polygamy, only the smart women would. I mean, he's thinking realisticly ME for a second wife, not Heidi Klum.
Can I have the picture of Jeff and I being inappropriate for my Facebook page?
I loved how you summed up Prop 8. This is the only time I have been glad I don't live in California anymore b/c we didn't have to campaign like you guys did. I hate head on confrontation. Nor Cal members are super brave and valiant for making it through this. Go you guys!
Why would anyone flip a little kid off? That is so sad.
Love that Max and Alice shot. Rice Cooker steam therapy is a great idea, market it, people will buy, you know they will. Basmati for colds, jasmine for anxiety, brown for constipation...the possibilities are endless.
I am in love with the Max and Alice picture. That is so charming.
I love how Henry is sure to strategize for maximum television enjoyment. He is a smart boy...and so cute, too.
Way to multi-task, Celia! So brilliant to use the steam from your rice maker to clear your nasal passages AND make rice at the same time. You are also brilliant to make the Bishopric help in Nursery until they call another helper for you. You know how to get results, my dear!
also, I love how you included Carl's age.
Oh, that Alice and Max picture is by far my favorite. It is such a moment in time - I want it. And I want Alice. Can I have her?
Carl, you are the man and my hero. That is the only time I have been able to laugh really hard at all the Prop 8 Stuff. Mostly I have just been sad, but glad it passed. Loved the hetero free range chicken taking the high speed train. I hope it was hurrying to a celebration to end affirmative action and usher in a new era of "we are the united states of america". I have been basking in the afterglo of that speech for days now. I get choked up if I hear snippets of it. I am an eternal optimist, but maybe now "we can all just get along" -Rodney King (the great philosopher)
HA! I'm glad he opposes all non-traditional marriages. Fantastic! I bet they thought he wasn't lds :)
I know this post is all about your and your kids. But I have to say, I really like Paige's curtains. Really.
The "Heterosexual free-range chicken..." sentence made me choke on my cereal. That is fuuuunnny. Who said it?
Props to you and your family on your campaigning together. You know the new saying, "The family that campaigns together. . ."
Thanks for being strong.
Good luck Claire. Lipstick and mascara really are the most fun part of being a celebrity.
I am so glad I am not the only one sick of hearing about prop 8, and I don't even live in CA. I think its terribly ironic that the church is so involved in making sure untraditional marriages don't happen. Too bad we didn't have that policy a couple hundred years ago.
Sorry, was that stirring the pot too much?
Love this post, Celia! Tons of cute pics. I especially love the one of Max and Alice. So cute!
I think I'd like to hear more about this heterosexual free-range chicken... he sounds like a trouble-maker!
My favorite line is that "pigs, chickens and cows now have more rights than gay people in California".
Last I looked we don't pen up gay people and pigs still can't get married. But maybe I missed something.
You really do have the best pictures Celia. You did have rice in the cooker while you were steaming didn't you?
Good luck with the play Claire!
The conversation on Wednesday night was very theraputic, and more laughs than I've had in a while. Thanks again for the fun night!
I'm sad...we'll be driving to Sunnyvale all day the last day of the 'Music Man'. We're disappointed we can't be there to see it (it's a family favorite!).
I wish I had read the rice cooker part sooner...my cold is almost gone. I'm sad at the loss of steam that wafted away in a wasted cloud.
Alice and Max are cute singing their duet.
BTW - I could use a little advice. We want to go to an aquarium while we're there. Do you know anyone who's been to the new (redone) one at Golden Gate park? We're wondering how it compares to the one in Monterey. I'd love some tips.
The Max and Alice picture is darling. But when did she get so much hair? She looks like a little girl all of a sudden instead of the baby I'm used to seeing.
You so got the steam idea from Crocodile Dundee. Except without the cocaine, I hope.
I want to be at the Music Man! I wonder if I snuck in, Pam would put me to work? And what is this that Max didn't have to cram into a part for the show last minute since his sports season was over?
Post a Comment