Saturday, September 6, 2008

Saturday Synopsis, Max Edition

Max's birthday was a few weeks ago. He turned fourteen.  This Saturday Synopsis is in honor of him.
Max is teaching his little brother Henry (7) the ways of the boy world.  In addition to showing him how to toast with fake beer steins, he wrestles him, plays DS with him, and shows him how to be a man.  I can only hope that Henry follows Max's stellar example and participates in school and church as well as Max does. It's too late for Henry's ball handling skills.  He shows as little promise as Max once did.
Max tolerates me and sometimes even hugs me.  I adore him even more now that he is always at school, sports, or seminary.  I am happy to see him on weekends and I even manage to overlook the socks he always stuffs in the couch cushions.  Max and I both like to read and one of our favorite activities is reading time in my bed.  No talking allowed.
Max and Claire (11) pretend to barely tolerate each other but I have hope for their relationship.  Sometimes when they are alone and they think no one is watching, they interact and even almost enjoy each other.  They both read a lot of trivia and Calvin and Hobbes books, so maybe they can find common ground there.  Claire has used Max as a resource upon entering middle school, and he gives her pertinent advice like "avoid the chicken patty" or "don't take home ec."
I turned Max's primary development over to Carl when Max turned 12 and it is working out nicely.  They bond over violent movies and the Hitler History channel.  When Max and Carl go home teaching or fast offering collecting together I want to cry with pride.  I couldn't ask for a better dad for my son. Except the vision thing.  I didn't know nearsightedness was a dominant gene.  Bummer.
Max + Alice = True Love.  Max has always had a soft spot for babies, and Alice is by far his favorite one.  She begs for him all afternoon and screams with glee when he comes home.  She calls him "Bobby."  We don't know why. 
Max's birthday dinner was had at Denny's.  He wanted breakfast.  He can pound the carbs.
Look at that pained expression on Max's face.  He tolerates family stuff pretty well but occasionally he loses it.  I made him go on a few little kid outings this summer and he almost blew.
At age seven at Haunauma Bay, Kauai.  He didn't really surf.  He was borrowing the board.
Age eight, Nepali coast, Kauai.  He especially enjoyed identifying the fish he saw while snorkeling.  He likes animals.
Max age nine, the beginning of his five year stint in band.  He's currently taking a break to try drama.
Age ten, London.  We are trying to take our kids on fifth grade trips.  I already owe Claire.  I'm working on it.
Age eleven with baby Beatrice.
Age twelve at Grandpa Jim's 60th birthday party.  I haven't seen him dance in a while.  Time to sneak into a church dance.
Age thirteen with his favorite snack, Mac and Cheese.  Please note the serving spoon he's using.
Max asked me to put this picture in.  I think he's about twelve with his airsoft gun.  He wishes he could use it more but I keep forgetting to buy pellets.  Oops.
I can't believe my little boy will be a grown up in four years. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you mom, will you stop nagging me now?

Anonymous said...

I love you mom, will you stop nagging me now?

Celia Fae said...

Listen, you little twit, is it too much to ask for a little gratitude?

Anonymous said...

Would if there were sunny-side-up eggs that big. The pic w/ baby B. is my favorite.

Lauren in GA said...

I love your comment back to him of, "Listen, you little twit..."

I know, right? What is it with boys stuffing their socks in the couch cushions? Maybe all boys do that?

That was very sage and kind advice Max gave Claire for middle school. I shudder to think what may have happened had she not avoided the chicken patty.

I think that is so sweet that Max loves Alice so much. That picture of them in the pool is fabulous.

Margaret said...

I can relate on so many levels! My Lowden reminds me of Max except my boy doesn't love babies, can't keep his eyes open in most pictures, and is only 11. Teach me how to make my boy civilized like Max by 12 ok?!☺

Jessica said...

How do you make a detailed personality summary of YOUR 14 year old so interesting that I read every word? True talent!

diane said...

I remember when my boys turned 14 like it was yesterday. Now they are out of the house and on their own. Weird, good, but weird.

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to Max! I love the post. Say hi to Ellie for me... she flies in today, right?

Celia Fae said...

Two corrections: Hanamaulu Bay, Captain Crunch not mac and cheese. Apologies.

Jenibelle said...

I love Max, truly I do!!!

You two have done excellent work raising your wonderful children, kudos to both of you!

(I know I should say something witty, but all I can think is that I love Max. oh, and he's cute...and he needs more shirts, unless he is like Scotty and only wears about 3 or 4 at a time. RUSH!)

Tristan said...

Happy Belated Birthday Max!! He seems like such a good kid! I love the relationship he has with Alice! Too cute!

Robin said...

Happy Birthday Max! You have the best name ever!

Claire said...

That stuff in the bowl is Kap'n Krunch. I remember the day clearly. Or at least part of it.

Paige said...

It's true, he's a superstar who's addicted to carbs.

Nortorious said...

Very thorough. Only missing waterpolo pics. I want one with the princess leia hat.

Lorena said...

If you figure out how to stop the aging process...please let me know.

the wrath of khandrea said...

you're killing me with the anti-verbal kick. if he wants to talk, or hover, or loiter, have him come to me. i'm super good at making people think i care what they have to say, all while completing some task that interests me far more.

Jodie said...

do you offer parenting classes? i love max too and would be delighted have a max or two or three in my family.