Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday Synopsis, Boring Edition

Claire (11) met her newest cousin Jude this week.  She held him for about one minute.  She's not nurturing, but that's okay.  Her hormones will kick in someday and she'll love babies just like the rest of us.  Claire is sick of watching the Olympics, especially when I invite her to become an Olympian in every sport.  I'm currently considering trampolining for her.  It looks easy.  I hope they'll let me sneak into the Olympic Village. 
Max (13 3/4) finished his first week of water polo this week.  I knew he was serious when he came home the first day and asked me to buy him a Speedo.  The banana hammock kind.  Apparently kids who are too chicken to wear a weinie sling get beat up.   I'm not excited about water polo because it seems so violent but he is getting a great tan and lots of exercise, so I guess I'll let him keep playing.  I'll be sure to post some Speedo Shots of him at his first game if he'll let me.
Alice (1) had some A-list cousin time this week with Fiona and then Charlotte.  They like to come to my house because they get unlimited tv when I'm napping.  Alice also inherited some clothes from Beatrice.  The child has so many outfits I don't have to do her laundry for a month.  Too bad she wrecks them all with ugly shoes and/or stains.  Alice tries to escape from Alcatraz follow Henry over to the neighbor's house every day and it worries me.  Someday she is going to escape without my knowledge.  Get ready to call CPS.
I went to the movies with a  stormtrooper   by myself last night.  I finally saw Mamma Mia and it was the best movie I've ever seen.  I even cried, which is a stretch for me.  I believe in the power of ABBA.  At this time, I wish to issue a retraction.  A couple of posts ago, I spoke ill of Nastia the gymnast and her frownie face.  Well, I finally watched the all arounds yesterday and I take it back.  She smiled and looked happy and I felt bad for trashing her.  Shame on me.
Henry (7) got grounded last week.  He went down to the creek near our house with one of his buddies after Carl had told him not to.  He instituted his own punishment, which included being grounded from friends for two days.  He loved it and I'm not sure why.  Was it that big kids get grounded and now he had status as a big kid?  It worries me that punishments make him happy.  He should have suffered more.  Henry's Olympic sport of choice is soccer.  We noticed he hustled a lot more today at his game after watching it on tv.  Maybe tv should be part of his training.
Carl's fruit is on.  He currently has Meyer lemons, limes, Babcock peaches, tomatoes and figs growing in our backyard.  The plums are done. Carl grows fruit as a love gesture to me.  Just ask him.  He doesn't really do gifts and declarations, but he does food.  Who needs flowers when you can have fruit? 

19 comments:

Jenibelle said...

When Mamma Mia comes out on DVD I am having a sing-a-long party, where you can sing as loud as you want!! You're invited. Loved it too.

Max, don't let Speedo wearing become a habit.

I hope Claire gets the nurture gene. She can compete in the Academic Decathalon in High School, they even give medals.

Henry, did your Mom scream loud at your game? I will train her.

Can Carl grow chocolate?

Robin said...

Oh Celia. I LOVE your blog.

Annemarie said...

Don't feel too bad about trashing Nstia. I TOTALLY trashed Mama Mia...since then I've seen it twice, and cried both times. Other than Pierce Brosnans HUGE tongue and lack of singing ability, it's a FABULOUS flick!

Lorena said...

My brother played water polo. It really is cool to watch. Except, there was this one pool he played at where you could see through it and you could see the guys kicking each other in the "you know where" with their hairy legs and that was not too fun.

Ahhhh...so many memories.

Tristan said...

Claire looks uncomfortable holding baby Jude! She will get the nurturing gene in a few years.

I want fruit trees in my backyard someday, only I will have to pay someone to take care of them for me. I don't have a green thumb. But I like the idea of just going outside to pick some fruit whenever you feel like it.

Anonymous said...

Mamma Mia was the weirdest movie I've seen in a while. The only crying was a result of hysterical laugher. Some weird old lady in front of me was singing along. . .loudly. . . off key.

Claire said...

Water polo is amazing! I played in high school... actually, I played with the goalie of the USA womens team in high school. She was the varsity goalie and I was the JV goalie. I'm glad Henry likes it. Its so much fun to play, and just as much fun to watch.

Jude is adorable!

Paige said...

I'm just glad you didn't have to see the Star Wars movie. Even Jeff hated it. CC's hair is cute. and I need to give you the matching bows for alice's monkey outfit.

Audry said...

You didn't enlighten us as to why Henry and Logan were taking a bath. I'm sure that Jaden would have been all for that. He loves taking baths. It's like his own little hot tub.

Lisa Cannon said...

Your fruit looks delicious. I am jealous!!

Anonymous said...

A love tree for me would be a tree that grows shoes. And purses. Fruit schmoot.

Sally said...

Nice job on the messy buns! (is that was those are called?)

Messy buns sounds like some kind of nasty baked good.

That Alice is so sweet. I love her eyes.

Brigitta said...

you should have called I would have gone to the movies with you. Jude is adorable. Can't wait to see Max in his speedo. Why is henry taking baths with his friends? Good job on the beautiful fruit Carl and when can we come over and pick some

Nancy said...

Those peaches look good. I miss yummy produce. Utah is lacking.

Lindsey said...

I am sure Nastia will forgive you... eveyone mistakes intensity for grumpiness. Just ask me... :) Also, she had to act focused because her dad was her coach, so, she didn't want him to have any ammo if she lost.

Anonymous said...

If you went to the movies alone who took that picture.....?

Lauren in GA said...

Huh? Who knew you would get beat up for NOT wearing a Speedo. In most cases you would get pummeled for wearing one.

Ellie said...

That peach looks delicious to the taste.

Margaret said...

Fruit...the sixth love language. You should write a book!