Recipe for a Delicious Junior Prom, circa 1987
1 Prom Theme: That's What Friends Are For
1 Prom Theme: That's What Friends Are For
2 unsuspecting dateless high school juniors.
2 moms in the same ward playing matchmaker.
1 date with a "nice" boy named Dane who only asked me because his mother made him.

3 couples at the Lafayette Duck Club for dinner with us.
2 couples who were also pathetic setups from our stake because apparently none of us could score.
1 couple that was in love and willing to show it.
1 cherry tomato squirted all over my dress at dinner.
1 "Eat it or wear it" lifetime motto fulfilled.
2 moms in the same ward playing matchmaker.
1 date with a "nice" boy named Dane who only asked me because his mother made him.

3 couples at the Lafayette Duck Club for dinner with us.
2 couples who were also pathetic setups from our stake because apparently none of us could score.
1 couple that was in love and willing to show it.
1 cherry tomato squirted all over my dress at dinner.
1 "Eat it or wear it" lifetime motto fulfilled.
0 kissing.

100 strapless dresses that my mother wouldn't let me buy.
4 yards of peach fabric. Hello, peach never was and never will be my color. I'm a winter. We look best in bolds. I can't remember if I chose the peach, but I should have been dissuaded. It was my mother's duty.
1 mother who is an adequate seamstress but should have resisted this particular creation.
4 folds where the non-existent cleavage should be.
1 big old freckle showing on my upper arm. Have at it, Paige.

1 pair of dye-to-match satin shoes that never got dyed to match.
2 satin shoes that aren't really heels but aren't really flats, either. Even my shoes had identity confusion.

100 strapless dresses that my mother wouldn't let me buy.
4 yards of peach fabric. Hello, peach never was and never will be my color. I'm a winter. We look best in bolds. I can't remember if I chose the peach, but I should have been dissuaded. It was my mother's duty.
1 mother who is an adequate seamstress but should have resisted this particular creation.
4 folds where the non-existent cleavage should be.
1 big old freckle showing on my upper arm. Have at it, Paige.

1 pair of dye-to-match satin shoes that never got dyed to match.
2 satin shoes that aren't really heels but aren't really flats, either. Even my shoes had identity confusion.
2 closed eyes for the portrait in front of the trellis and fake plants.
1 hairdo that looks eerily similar to my wedding day hairdo, minus the big bangs.
1 earring that got lost in wild dancing shenanigans, possibly to Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship.
Put all ingredients together in a big bowl. Mix them up and then bake for twenty years. Finished product should be semi-fond memories.
Put all ingredients together in a big bowl. Mix them up and then bake for twenty years. Finished product should be semi-fond memories.
Enjoy it if you can.

32 comments:
i'm glad you mentioned the 4 folds of fabric where the cleavage should've been, because my first thought was "wow, she had no boobs".
we could've been friends back then, because it would've been good for my self-esteem to flock with a bird of my non-existant feather.
what a trip down memory lane. I wore a white dress to junior prom. I wasn't even dating the guy, yet we looked like we were getting married. alas, no kiss for me either. I waited for senior ball.....
I had that same dress (made by mom, of course) in ...ROYAL BLUE! I even had the same hair do/don't.
Lovely, just lovely. You forgot to comment on the patterned hose. As for the half shut eyes, I thought you were going for sultry, thanks for setting me straight.
Yeah, the panty hose is the best. That peach color was all the rage though. At least you were in with the times.
Yeah I could never post what I wore to any of my proms because then you would know that I did not wear church standard dresses.
Peach was the color of the decade! I had a 9 month old baby in 1987.
I love that picture of you it just really makes me laugh. I wish I had known you back then. Would we have been friends? You didn't say anything about your tights but I zoomed in and they are funny too! I'm glad you have fond memories... I'm not there yet.
Oh, I think you look AMAZING! I think you faired MUCH better than the one I let Gab post! MUCH MUCH BETTER.
The only story I know of that can top yours is my little sister. Our cousin took her to prom. Weird. There was also 0 kissing.
Oh, look at the nylons with designs on them!
1 picture hidden under your bed until I found it and showed mom.
I actually never made it to prom! I always broke up with whatever boyfriend I was dating by that time of year! My senior year I was engaged to my hubby, and we thought about going but didn't. Now I wish we would have. Oh well!
I am laughing at your peach dress! And the swoop bangs! So fabulously 80's!!! LOVE IT!
People around here are throwing "80's Prom"-themed bday parties, usually for people who went to high school in the 80s. They are all the rage. You should totally throw one and have Gramma Pamma recreate that beauty.
By the way, I have loved your posts of late. Claire's party was darling (I love that she wanted to request B&N cards) and the triathlon post was brilliant.
HAHAHA this must have been before the strapless bright yellow designer dress days. i love being the eighth child.
I can tell your date is totally crushing on you but way to shy to tell you and he knows you are out of his league.
You are darling!
Well, at least you weren't in a lace-covered peach creation by Jessica McClintock. That's what I wore to my prom. And yes, I looked absolutely ridiculous.
What a great post! I hope it inspires everyone else to post their prom pictures, it's so fun to revisit that time.
I love how your toes are flexed up in the picture, indicating your otherwise well-hidden nervousness. You look adorable.
I hope this dress made it into Pam's famous costume closet...
What a hoot!
(do I sound like a 60-year old lady?)
I love the patterned hose, too. I used to rock the patterned hose, myself.
My hair was bigger in diameter but I had some fantastic bangs like you. :)
I think Dane is kinda' cute ;)
My prom date was my boyfriend. Did I let him kiss me after he spent over $100 on tickets, another $100 on a fancy restuarant on Melrose, another $100 for a corsage and pictures?
Nope. He shouldn't have had those chili cheese fries after the dance.
Obviously I have little sense of obligation and a keen sense of smell.
Sadly, even when I went to prom in 1997, it wasn't much better... I think my mom made me that same dress, only a little shorter, and in dark blue. The blue color was the only saving grace, oh and the cute strappy black heels I wore.
First thing that caught my eye was the shoes! I think I had the same pair dyed in Hot Pink! You are such a babe!
You look hot! I especially love the nylons. I can't really mock however, because at least you went to Jr. Prom. Me on the other hand...
That is great! Thanks for taking us along down memory lane with you :)
sweet. great use of zoom. love your sense of humor, girl. sorry I haven't stopped by in a while! will somebody please stop this rollercoaster so I can get off?
My sister had her senior prom in 1987. If only I had a picture....Celia, you look good!
I love it. I also went to jr. prom in 1987 in that SAME dress, peach, except with long lacy sleeves, also made by my mom. You have inspired me to do a prom blog. Do you mind? I promise to link to your post. I think we had the same backdrop too. Too funny.
Whoa, I love that picture! My mom was a heathen, she let my sisters and I wear very strapless gowns. I was showing my senior prom pics to Ali and she said, "mom isn't that dress kind of innapropriate?" I was proud of her, but just said, well.......those things were different then. That is how my sisters and I have decided to phrase things to our children when we get "caught".
I am guffawing over the never-dyed looks like a pump but could be a flat shoes. Peach was in for way too long - seriously, does anyone look good in peach?
Sadly, I'm not yet old enough to have fond memories of high school. Perhaps because I still go there every day. To teach.
Love the closed eyes, that's so Celia.
I need to post a picture of me my sophomore year when I went to the senior prom. It was 1990, you would be so impressed!
wow. dane mcdonald. whatever happened to him?
Post a Comment