This picture of Alice, 17 months, was taken by my friend Denae with her fancy camera. Not only is it a good photo, but Alice is actually looking at the camera, which is a rarity these days. Please notice the Baby Mohawk. She has pulled so many clips and ponies out of her hair that it was starting to become sparse on top. One day I'd had enough and drove her to the hair salon and made them cut it. She screamed the whole time. We've had to give up on cute hair accessories so it can grow back. I don't know when I'm going to try again, but rest assured this is only a temporary setback.
Henry (6) is currently my favorite child. Although he leaves them everywhere, it makes me happy that he can play alone with toys. Henry's 1st grade performance at school was this week and featured sugary snacks. He sang Candyman, Teach the World to Sing, and Sing, Sing a Song. He wouldn't practice his songs with me, even though I taunted him by singing the words wrong on purpose. Henry's reign of cuteness is almost over. One of his giant front teeth is growing in which will change his face and make me sad.
Claire (10) learned an important life lesson about the internet a couple of days ago. She forwarded an inappropriate story to a bunch of her friends without reading it. Luckily it didn't contain anything too outrageous. After a concerned mother called me, Claire had to email an apology to her friends and then call their parents and tell them what happened. It was traumatic but I think she'll recover. I'm proud of her for stepping up and rectifying the situation.
Max (13) wears braces and he is supposed to wear rubber bands with them at all times except when he is eating. We went through an entire year of noncompliance and awful ortho visits and we didn't know what to do. I think we might have finally found a solution. I bought some of his favorite ice cream, Dreyer's Reese's Overload, and made a deal with him. If Carl or I asks him if he is wearing his bands and the answer is positive, he gets a scoop of ice cream. If the answer is negative, someone else gets a scoop. We try to catch him all of the time but so far we've only had a couple of scoops of ice cream. I hope it doesn't wear off before his next visit.
Carl (42) returned home this week after a business trip. During his trip the dishwasher broke, my cell phone broke, and my sanity broke. For some reason, it was a hard adjustment for me this time. We are all happy he is back to fix stuff. He couldn't fix my phone, though, so I had to buy another one. I succumbed to my iphone desires and I love it. I'm a believer. Today Carl and I sneaked to a matinee of Baby Mama. It stars Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, both of SNL fame. We are fans. We both thought it was hilarious and I think we annoyed people in the theatre with our loud laughter.
When we arrived home this afternoon, the above rodent was in the door between the slider and the screen. It was trying to escape our cat. Carl thinks it is a baby rat but the thought makes me so sick I want to vomit. Why are mice better than rats? Why do vermin make me feel violated?
I closed the blinds and hollered for Carl who went outside and shook the invader down to death by feline. I love my cats.



20 comments:
Um, it's still Friday here. What fun events are you planning for Saturday that you have to post so early?
Cute baby faux-hawk! Good lesson to learn at 10 instead of 30. My husband can't really fix stuff, but he's good at cleaning and organizing.
Ellie:
Clean the church, get Claire a bike from some lady on craigslist, go to a baby shower, nap, go to an adult stake conference meeting, eat. That's what.
I am so with you! My hubby has been gone this week too and my kids got the flu. After calling my friend who actually played sports as a kid, unlike myself, to try and figure out if my 5 year old broke his nose and finally getting my 8 year old to stop puking I am done! Hubby should be home in two hours and I am out of here tomorrow. Maybe I will go to that movie! Sorry, thought we forming an abandoned wifes club and had to vent! Have fun cleaning the church!
The bottom 2 pictures are the only reasons I would even consider getting a cat. I love the pic of Alice. Denae & I need to talk about fancy cameras.
Cats are great Verminators. Until they start leaving dead-mice presents in your shoes... as I discovered a few years ago. That was not a good day for me. I think I threw those shoes directly in the garbage - and then proceeded to disinfect my foot in vain. Thanks for the memories. Now I might need some ice cream... Is Max wearing his rubber bands? I'll take his scoop.
We came home one night years ago and the babysitter had seen a mouse run across the floor. She trapped it under a shoe box in the middle of the family room. The thought still freaks me out! I'm pretty scared of cats, too.
I always love your synopsisisses...what is the plural of that?
I love the look in your cat's eyes in that picture. Such focus!
Claire is such a great kid...to call everyone to try to make amends...great job to her. Most kids would just shrug it off.
I hear you on the vermin. We keep getting squirrels in our attic and if hear their little feet running across my ceiling again, I'm going to go loopy. (But at least they're squirrel feet not rat feet I guess.)
We live in the third world - we have rats - they make Kenny scream like a little girl - I have to take care of them.
What an especially good synopsis with rodents, movie reviews, parenting tips and internet naughtiness!
I love the fact that you say out loud that you have a favorite child du jour. I've got one that has been a couple years running as favorite. He is taking a quick dive, though.
I can't even comment on the rodent. (how do you spell a shudder?)
I agree with Jessica. This was an especially juicy summary. Yay to the i-phone! The rodent freaks me out...but don't you have a pet snake?
Yes Carl is correct. Any rodent with that long a tail is a rat. Glad the cats are in control.
I think anyone who takes a screaming baby for a haircut, monitors the braces, suffers a broken dishwasher and phone all in the same week ABSOLUTELY deserves an iphone. You are now officially a rockstar.
the baby rat photo is classic. but the way he is posted here, he appears to be part of your family....Alice, Henry, Claire, Max, Carl..and the rat. Oh, and then the cat. At least Carl came before the rat!
I love all the pictures, esp. the ones of Alice and the four of your kids. Way to go to wrecking Max's teeth while paying to straighten them. Can't wait to see what they look like when the braces get off. At least he will have a straight mouth full of silver.
I wish my husband could fix stuff. Instead he costs me a lot of service charges.
that is no field mouse!!! yikes not sure i can ever come to your house again!!!! yeah for the iphone...think i need one now. I am jealous it is so cool
Hi, I'm officially introducing myself as an old college friend of Paige's who found her again through the FLDS blog of Gab's (random enough?).
I had to say that I'm astounded by the rodent experience and though I can handle just about anything that gets thrown at me (not necessarily well, just without a ton of medical intervention) - that would have required the paramedics. I cannot handle rodents. I'm very impressed you are still on two feet after seeing that and I now wish I could go out and get me some cats!!!
That is the only thing cats are good for. Getting rid of the rodants! YUCK! Alice is still adorable without her hair accessories! Way to be mature Claire and watch out for those nasty eMails. So can I get in on the ice cream if Max doesn't wear his rubber bands? ;)
Post a Comment