Monday, March 17, 2008

Where's Lucky?

Which one of these boys woke up early looking for the gold that the leprechauns had left? I'll give you a hint. It is the boy on the left, Henry the Depressed Elf. Apparently, the leprechaun's mommy failed to purchase Golden Coins so they could leave tricks around the house. She might have been deluding herself that no one would notice.

Fortunately, Henry the Elf's mommy is experienced in this sort of failure. Years of Tooth Fairy mishaps have taught her to think fast. Has your child ever been dismayed that the Tooth Fairy forgot to come? Have you ever reassured a child that the Tooth Fairy just doesn't work on Sundays? Have you ever looked under the pillow (with a fistful of quarters) and "discovered" that the money had just fallen behind the bed?

Following some phake phone calls, it was determined that those crafty leprechauns had skipped some houses the night before as part of their pranks. Henry the Depressed Elf wrote a note to the leprechauns today imploring them to leave their tricks behind tonight. I can guarantee that they will.

Leprechauns. You just can't trust them. I hope the Easter Bunny makes it next Sunday.

35 comments:

Paige said...

I would have driven the gold coins that I bought on Sunday morning over to your house for poor Henry. Sometimes the ox is in the mire.

Celia Fae said...

Funny. The ox is in the mire only when it pertains to me and ice cream. Oxen sometimes have to wait and leprechauns are known to be tricky.

Plus, I suck.

Nortorious said...

Poor Hen. First the haircut, now this. He can't catch a break.

Celia Fae said...

WhatEver! That kid has the best life ever. All he does is play games and hang out with his friends. Sometimes when he is bored, he makes me buy him stuff. He does not suffer.

D-dawg said...

Perfect picture for this post. Luckily Logan didn't brag too much about the Leprechaun's making it to our house and not yours. I think Henry was pretty fooled by your fast thinking. I hope you bought lots of coins to make up for it!

Tristan said...

Hey, it happens! He looks so dissapointed in that picture though! The Easter Bunny better be on her toes next Sunday! ;)

Shannon said...

Glad I'm not the only one. The best laid plans... right? Dinner out and a trip to Cold Stone cheered my little leprechauns right up!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so happy to hear the deadbeat tooth fairy is often assigned to your house too. Man, she (it's never a he) has been MIA more often than I'd like to admit. And if SHE can't make it, the leprechauns sure as heck never had a chance.

mamasuisse said...

Way to think fast on your feet!! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a flakey tooth fairy. I finally just said to one of the kids, I'll either give you $3 now or you can get $1 under your pillow. Aren't I a party pooper.

Jessica said...

Oh my kids don't even expect the tooth fairy even more. I'm not kidding; it's that sad. Teeth 1-3, maybe, but 4-8...you are on your own.

Audry said...

That is a great picture. Yeah and now Madisen is looking forward to leprechauns coming to the house tonight. Only this leprechaun doesn't have any golden coins.

Lisa Cannon said...

I've never really done anything for St. Paddy's Day. Well, today I finally scattered some gold coins around the house and the kids were thrilled. Will (the oldest) asked why they had never visited before. I didn't think he'd remember. I was wrong. You see, all of this blogging and all of these creative moms have inspired me to be a more "fun" mom. So - blame it on blogging.

I too have thrown money behind the bed. Yes, sometimes the Tooth Fairy gets tired and forgets late at night. Isn't it great being a parent? with all of our many responsibilities!!

Ashley said...

Impressive save. You are MacGyver

Jenibelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenibelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenibelle said...

My boys were totally expecting Leprechauns after hearing about them...sucks to be my kids. They want to be adopted, but I guess it's not by Celia, you failed also. Thank you. Paige? They don't eat much and they're tidy and Jeff is old enough to babysit. Think about it.

At our house the tooth fairy had a day job as a dentist, lost teeth didn't bring too big of a thrill, again, sucks to be our kids.

We do celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah though, that helps.

Brigitta said...

Good cover for your failure. I hope the bunny makes it to our house too. Love the depressed picture of Henry was it an action shot or did you ask him to make his "disappointed I didn't get any gold coins look"

Sherine said...

Oh celia... I just might trade one of those holiday majoras for a good April Fools Day Joke. I've been married 5 years now.. and I just can't believe DH is STILL falling for jokes. sounds like you are a pro but here's one tip.. start the fooling around 12:30 a.m. That way they are still half asleep and won't realize they are being fooled. Oh yeah.. and the pre-april 1 preparatory ground work is a must.

Annie said...

Oh yeah, our tooth fairy is notoriously forgetful, except our kids now HOPE that she's late because the cash prize increases each day she forgets.

We're not above bribed forgiveness.

Lauren in GA said...

I must compliment you on your quick thinking. Truly! I am going to implement the fistful of quarters action next time that Hag the Toothfairy forgets to put money out for one of my poor, neglected, sweet children.

I really mean it...telling Henry that the leprechauns play tricks like skipping houses was truly quick thinking. You do not suck.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i didn't even mention the holiday yesterday. literally. i figured they played the "pinching game" at school all day, that'll do.
i may suck as a mom, but i'm guilt free about it.

Christie said...

Yeah, my green pancakes were the extent of my festivness, and those got re-routed to honor a dead tadpole. Our house is lame, too. Tell Henry he's in good company.

Jake said...

Why not just a big ole greenback dollar bill? Or some leftover Chuck E Cheese tokens that have been rattling around the cupholders of your mini-van? Just a tip for next year...

Lindsey said...

Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! After Jessica's post I was thinking that I was the worst mom EVER! My kids don't even think a leprechaun COULD visit! (I think I will keep it that way to avoid mishaps like this . . . .) I just can't handle the pressure!

Ilene said...

My kids don't even know what a leprechaun is and perhaps I should keep it that way.

I'm not feeling sorry for Henry. It looks like he went to some park with his friends. That is way more than my kids expect, holiday or not.

My best payout for a tooth was when the tooth fairy forgot to visit. My dad tried sneaking quarters under my pillow as I was crying in bed. He wasn't too sneaky though since I figured out what he was doing. That's when I knew the tooth fairy was fake but I didn't say anything lest "she" took back my $2.00. I was an observant and smart six year old.

Penny said...

I am totally cracking up, because we have also used the line that the tooth fairy didn't work on Sunday! Hey, great minds think alike, huh? I suck. The leprechauns don't make an appearance at our house either, my poor, poor kids. I did think about it this year though because of all the good ideas from blogging. Maybe next year I will actually DO something.

shauna said...

No ONE was lucky at my house either.

We are still AWESOME moms.

Bridget said...

I forgot it was St. Patrick's day. I'm THAT good.

Hazen5 said...

The picture of Henry explains everything! I totally pulled the fist full of cash for the tooth fairy, Madison did not suspect a thing!

Lorena said...

I didn't find gold coins, so they got Rolos...or should I say my hips got Rolos. Why do I buy my favorite candy and then leave it stashed around the house?

Are you going to be doubly-good for Easter?

katri said...

Oh my goodness... for all the times that the tooth fairy failed to appear...

I'm a bad mama.

janelle said...

Out tooth fairy is always tardy. Oh, my poor kids. I think she did her job well once. So now, my two oldest have figured it out, probably due to that first flash of horror that crosses my face when they ask why she didn't leave any money.

Leprechauns don't visit our house. I don't think my kids have ever heard of them. One thing to be grateful for.

Hollyween said...

Yeah, that's why I only do the very necessary holidays. If I tried to do Valentines and St. Patty's, I'd fail miserably. I'm not a fun mom. I haven't even bought any Easter stuff for this Sunday yet. But don't worry, in a fit of procrastination and stress, I'll get it done.

crystal said...

Good luck to that Bunny. Hope it doesn't collide with the late lephrechauns!

Jenna Harris said...

We have had many a Tooth Fairy mishap. On the last one, I made my daughter sit on my bed for an untold amount of time while my hubby put $$ under her pillow.

But, darn it, we couldn't find the freakin' tooth! It resurfaced from some black-hole crevice in or around her bed almost a year later.

Fortunately, by then we had clued her in on Things That Are Fake. So there was no big trauma.