My mom and dad met at BYU as freshman at a dance in the Wilkinson Center. They married five years later after both had graduated. My dad, Jim, was a city kid and my mom, Pam, grew up in a family of hunters.
Once upon a time, my dad gave my mom a special Easter gift of a cute little bunny. She seemed pleased with the gift and my dad went on his merry way. A few days later, he stopped by her residence and inquired of the bunny's whereabouts. My mom replied that she and another boyfriend had shot the bunny and cooked it up for an Easter meal. Apparently in her house, bunnies were for eating. Obviously, they got married eventually, but I would bet the bunny incident set them back at least a year.
Coincidentally, my husband used to raise bunnies for fun and profit. He can skin a rabbit in one piece. The fact that my mother and husband are both hassenpfeffer people falls into the category of "How I Married My Mother."
We never had a pet bunny as children. And no, my mom didn't cook my sister's rabbit when it died. Want to come over for Easter?
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Hassenpfeffer. An Easter Tail.
Posted by
Celia Fae
at
10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 comments:
Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass...you ate Thumper?
I love it!
When I was a kid we got a duck for Easter. When we got home from church the duck had committed duckicide! Hung itself in chicken wire...we didn't eat it. Still can't eat duck a l'orange.
The fact that she killed (with another boyfriend, too boot) and ate her present is equally disturbing and hilarious at the same time.
I love the play on words in the title.
Do you remember the Buggs Bunny cartoon, "Cook! Where's my Hassenpfeffer?!"
Genius post! Family history, classic photos and a holiday tie-in. This is why I click over every day.
Now THAT is a great story. Did she keep the fur and skins and make a hat or rug?
That picture is CLASSIC! Love it!
Yikes! Rabbit is tasty though, but I think I will stick with Easter Ham with Tangerine Glaze that I am making at my house. Your family never ceases to shock me. Such rich stories! ps Did they name the bunny before they hunted it down?
I can't believe she ate the bunny he gave her. Yuck! I've never dared to eat a bunny.
I had to google Hassenpfeffer. Very good obscure word usage.
That story is hilarious. I never would have pegged your mom for a bunny killer. And Pam's winged hair could have set them back another year - that's almost as good as the poor bunny.
Your parents are really cute--both then and now! Love the bunny for dinner story.
Hilarious! She really killed and ate the bunny her boyfriend (husband) gave her!!?? That is the best story ever :)
We had bunnies growing up, now I'm kind of disturbed.
That is funny! My husband's parents used to raise rabits to eat when he was very young. So that is how he sees rabits too. He remembers being 5 or 6 years old and his Dad killing and skinning them while him and his little brother watched. He said they thought it was the coolest, and their dad would give them an anotomy lesson at the same time. Totally gross! Anyway, so he doesn't look at rabits as cute, he just sees 4 drumsticks with rice, just like mama used to make!
WHAT! that is twisted! i never woulda pegged your mom for a hunter-gatherer type. what i'd really love to see is a blog post about the GB sisters skinning a rabbit.
THAT would be good reading.
We'll be over. Remember we have five kids four and under. You don't mind right? Are you having rabbit stew?
Christin
Just today I was on the phone trying to get a pet store to let me rent a rabbit for a kindergarten party. Apparently they don't rent, they only sell. Rude, huh?
Had I have known about your mom, maybe I would have bought one for "dinner" after the party.
With your mom's genes in you, it is no wonder why you married Carl.
You secretly think his bunny skinning skills are hot, huh?
Or is that no secret?
I would like to read a post entitled "How I Married My Mother."
You neglected to mention that she offered Dad a piece of the bunny, as it was in the freezer.
I love your first sentence. And no, she most certainly does not look like a murderer.
How do you keep coming up with this funny stuff! So funny! oh yea, happy easter- only eat the chocolate bunnies
Post a Comment