Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday Synopsis

Henry (6) lost his other front tooth last night. Here is the letter he dictated to the Tooth Fairy:

Dear Fairy: I lost my front tooth tonight. My Grandma Pamma pulled it out. It didn't really hurt but it bled a lot so I had to bite on a napkin. My mom was holding my tooth, but then she dropped it and we couldn't find it, so I had to write you this note. (picture of tooth) My mom says I look very cute. Please leave me money. If you leave me ten dollars then I will have thirteen dollars altogether. From: Henry

The Fairy came but she didn't leave ten bucks, only two. Inflation, you know? You should have seen my mom's nifty tooth pulling trick. She put her thumbnail right between the top of the tooth and the gum and then pushed in. That sucker came right out. Now I know why I never let my mom near my loose teeth.

This week I registered Max (13) for high school. It made me want to try and crawl in the cupboards like my boys, but I didn't fit. I've been dreading high school since he was born, mostly because mentally I am still in high school. I know what happens there, and it isn't always good. It helps that he is excited to go and looking forward to his classes. He decided to forgo band his freshman year because he wants to take drama from a guy who lives in our ward, so we are looking forward to that. I am not looking forward to his "Health" experience. I hope there are no bananas and trojans in class. Is that just a rite of passage, the banana thing? Can I make him stall Health until he gets married?
Claire (10) and I witnessed the lunar eclipse together on the way to the school district budget cut meeting. Thanks, Governor Schwarzenegger! She was worried about some of her favorite programs being cut, like music and art, but she was interested to know what her teacher's salary was. I'm sure her teacher is appreciative. Speaking of school, Claire had a stellar report card this semester of which we are proud. She is a hard worker. Obviously her father's genes.
Alice (1) and her cousins Beatrice (please note her undone hair) and Mimi had a playdate at the Jungle last night. She especially liked the ball pit. Alice can put two words together, like "bye, bye Daddy" but mostly she is still working on walking. She has two molars with two coming in so she has to stick her tongue out a lot. I'm not sure why that helps. I don't actually take Alice to a playgroup other than the back of Relief Society, but we have started going to baby music time.
The boyfriend worked at home this week, although every time I came into his office he was scanning old mission slides on my computer. I don't have issues. Our family had a rousing game of Nephites and Lamanites for FHE on Monday. Everyone had a dart gun and shot each other. There was no strategy or winning or losing. The game was simply over when all of the darts were gone. It was entertaining to watch the two missionaries who were over for dinner try to shoot one another exclusively. I think they might have some companion issues. Note to self: send Elders dart guns.
As usual, I was busy keeping Alice safe this week, arranging playdates for Henry, providing therapy for Claire, hyperventilating around Max, and continuing to be a member of the Clean Plate Club. Just look at that shiny plate. I only undercooked the meat and burned the bread once during dinner and I didn't throw any trash in the trash cans without a liner. We have plenty of Carl's three requirements for home: toilet paper, milk, and clean underwear, so all is well.

21 comments:

Bridget said...

OH.MY.GOSH. I am the first to comment??? I'm all flustered now I can't think of anything to say other than congratulations to me.

I'm glad to hear Alice was safe although I do love the babycide posts.

I can't even imagine the panic I will feel to register my kids for high school. Yikes. Good luck with that.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i can think of nothing witty or clever to say*, so i will just say how immensely i enjoy you and your family, and i am glad we are friends.

*yes i can, but it involves the trojan and the banana, and i'm trying to rise above the teenage boy mentality.

heidiram said...

I'm sure that your boyfriend will be so pleased to know that you announced to the world that he has plenty of clean underwear. So happy to hear that. Now I guess I better go get that last load of laundry done for the night or my hubby will not have clean underwear.

Lauren in GA said...

I believe you should just keep Max in the cupboard so he doesn't have to go to High School.

That tooth fairy letter was really cute. You can't blame a kid for shooting for a 10 bucks :)

Debbie said...

Max does not have to sign up for health this year he can do it later, he has all 4 yrs to do one quarter. This is an important decision because he may not want to talk about "nutrition" when he is a freshman.

kara jayne said...

I think you and I attended the same cooking/eating school.

Paige said...

do you want the Vampire picture of Henry. My kids love it.

You need to show him the trojan and banana yourself so it won't be a shock when he gets there. I know you practice it constantly.

Celia Fae said...

Gross, Paige.

So Debbie, is it too late to change his schedule? I should have called you.

Debbie said...

Its never to late! They probably havent turned them in yet. and if they have you can go to the High School and make a spectacle of yourself so Max will be known as "the boy who's Mom didn't want him to have health yet"

Lorena said...

Note to Celia: Needle-nose pliers work very well. I might make a training video for you...if you will make me one with the banana!!!

mamasuisse said...

Anything bad you remember from high school has only gotten worse. You should move to Utah. 9th grade is still Junior High here.

Anna gets to go to high school next year, too. She'll be 15 with big boobs, surrounded by a bunch of 17 year old boys. Cue screaming.

Christie said...

I can't even possibly fathom talking about the banana thing yet. High school health scares me. I've still not had the talk with any of my kids. Although I'm sure they already know thanks to all the R-rated movies my inlaws show them when they come to tend. Let's see if Marty wants to include that in her speech, shall we?

♥Shally said...

That is so wierd that you know Becky VO!!! I love her. I will tell her you said hello. What a small world!

I bet the Elder's loved your house. Poor guys probably needed a good, clean way to vent their frustrations!

Audry said...

You know that Tatum and Alice are going to make great friends. They are already so much a like. They played so well in primary today.

Annie said...

I join you in the squeamishness of having a high school age child. Eeek. Mine's a freshman right now & comes home with lovely anecdotes from health class. PRetty soon I'm going to have to go to her with my questions. Sheesh.

Adrianne said...

Is that the first registered photo of Bea without her hair done??? I need more pictures of Alice as she is so adorable.

Ilene said...

Do they honestly do the banana thing in schools? Where have I been?

Congrats on the clean underwear. I have a load of clean whites waiting to get transferred into the dryer since Wednesday. I think I better re-wash those whites again.

crystal said...

"I only undercooked the meat and burned the bread once during dinner and I didn't throw any trash in the trash cans without a liner." SUCCESS, INDEED, MY FRIEND!

And I had better not comment on the banana & the trojan because this is not a rated R blog.

But I'm thinkin' it!!!!

Hollyween said...

Oh, I totally remember the trojan and the banana. I was like, 'whaaaa?'!!! I was so clucless. I still don't think I got it even after explanation. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't just fall off. Get my drift? Kids these days are a lot smarter though.

Cute family pics, as usual. I can't believe Max is only 13 and you're registering for high school? Why so early? Is it because 9th grade enters high school? Yeah, ummm... we don't have that here.

Marie said...

Is that my cat in your FHE picture?

Anonymous said...

I think the health thing depends largely upon where you live. At my NC high school the 'S' word was never even mentioned, unless it was the following context:

"If you have S even just once you will get a disease, get pregnant, die and then go to Hell."

Only vaguely terrifying, hahaha. Keep in mind this was only a scant seven years or so ago.