- Pets aren't required until a child is old enough to go to school. It doesn't matter if they don't ever play with the pet, the idea is enough. Imaginary pets don't count, and neither do pets belonging to relatives. If there is no pet in a child's home, he or she will have nothing to write about and will flunk first grade, which leads to a lifetime of poverty and crime.
- Having a pet forces families to go to the pet store. If there are pets there, it counts as going to the zoo. Think of all the money saved in gas and admission!
- When a pet gets lost, parents and children can do a craft together. They can make posters asking for the return of the pet. Poster making is a useful skill. It is necessary for losing school elections.
- Pets are handy when kids are sad. They listen carefully and they don't talk back. When a child is trying to emote but is doing so unsuccessfully (yelling), suggest they practice with the pet.
- Pets enable adults to do things they never though possible, like administer drops to vermin or get rid of fleas. I understand some dogs require their anal glands to be cleaned. I'm sure pet owners never imagined that they would have that particular skill.
- Veterinarians need the support of pet owners everywhere in order to live. It costs over $100 dollars just to make a pet die. Unless a gun or a car is used. Then it is free, but the years of therapy are going to cost you.
- Pets can be blamed for a multitude of sins. Spilled water, scratched furniture and smelly bedrooms can all be blamed on a pet.
- Neighborhood children need other people's pets so they can earn money. Pet sitting can be a child's first job. Always tempt the sitter with money and offer bonuses if the pet manages to stay alive and there isn't any poop in your house.
- Pets can prevent visitors. I find that snakes and cats are especially useful preventative pets. Henry used to have a friend who was terrified of snakes and never wanted to come over, which was fine with me. A number of people are allergic to cats and will not enter my home without a benadryl. I find the benadryl makes for a very relaxed guest.
- People have strong feelings about pets, so it is fun to find out what the feelings are and then tease people. For instance, I know a couple named Karen and Mark. They hate cats. I told them my cats were named after them, Karen and Mark. They were not amused and I still think it is funny. Pets help cement relationships.
- Pets die and then children can have a pet funeral. Some of my fondest memories are the burials of Ashes, Patches and Harriet. Harriet the Hamster died of old age, Patches died because my parents made me keep him in the garage and he froze to death, and Ashes the cat died while getting spayed. Actually, Ashes was brain damaged from the anesthesia so my mom made them euthanize her. She didn't want to pay for the cat nursing facility.
- After a pet funeral, you'll have a pet cemetery. A pet cemetery is very impressive to show to children. Make sure to mark the grave. If a child is especially brave, he can dig around and see if there are any bones present. This should take hours, thus freeing the parent to do other things. Like blog.>
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Heavy Petting
Posted by
Celia Fae
at
10:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


37 comments:
Please tell me you're kidding about Patches... is Buster going to freeze to death in our garage?
I think this is my favorite post of yours. You are the sole reason we have Buster. You convinced me that my kids needed him and still convince me everyday when I tell you I'm getting rid of him. I guess I should thank you, but I'm still not sure about the whole thing.
I am glad my kids have something to write about at school. I wish we had your small petite cats though instead of our giant monster.
I do feel slightly guilty about Buster. I didn't know he was going to be such a bad cat.
Patches really did freeze, but he was a rat. A tropical rat, I guess.
I feel as though we should do a whole post series about strange adventures with Mom. She has lots of pet stories and other gems. Like the Green Chicken Week or Halloween visits.
Licky could totally take Patches. Plus he looks awesome in his mini cat wrestling jumper.
Everytime I think of Denae's post about Buster and all the weird things cats do, I laugh my head off.
And I laughed my head off at this too. One time my mom wouldn't let me bring the new baby kittens in the house and we had to go out of town. When I came back all the baby kittens had been killed by the horrible golf ball sized hail storm. It was such a sad day for me. But now I can share that tragedy with my kids for lesson purposes.
I love cats and John won't let me have another one. He's so mean!
I love this post. It cracked me up. Now have I figured correctly that three of you who have commented above me are sisters?
Oh no! I'm not sure if we can be friends now. I hate cats and I'm scared of snakes and rats. My kids want a dog so bad...but it's gonna take a lot of fasting and prayer first.
You're not bringing any animals to Blogapalooza, are you?
I've never liked cats either. I prefer a pet who will like me when I want it to. I don't want to have to work for the affection of an animal, for crying out loud.
This was pretty funny. And useful, to. What's your advice about a tadpole that refuses to either die or change into a frog?
My kind of pets come from Target in a purple and pink box with big heads.
My kids can have a million littlest pets shops and they can walk the neighbor's dog all they want.
I am realizing something about myself as I read your blog...I tend to laugh at inappropriate times. I don't know why I laughed at your pet, Patches freezing to death...I guess, because I thought you might have been kidding. (I didn't feel as bad when I read in your comments that Patches was a rat. Sorry, Rats give me the willies."
I didn't know that not having a pet will make my first grader flunk and lead to a lifetime of poverty and crime! Good Heavens!!!
pet = poop
we have none.
your post was hilarious. love the title. i've got a fine man for the heavy petting... cats and dogs not needed.
You forgot about the opportunity pets have to teach about the facts of life, in case you don't get your cat fixed in time :) Then your kids will know early on to save it for marriage and don't have 5 babies by your self! (it was a fun learning experience for the kids to hold the babies at less than 24 hours old!)
My favorite kitty was from the front of K-Mart. We came out and there were two kids with one last kitten in their box. They offered us the box if we would take the cat. Now that's a bargain. We had Pooh for 15 years. Now we have Scout the Dog-Cat. We are on our fourth hamster, I love hamsters. I hate snakes however and did not know you had one slithering around your house. That's like inviting Satan to visit.
Oh, and our favorite dog, 'Dixie Belle, the hound from Hell' was run over in front of our house. When we talk about her our very sensitive friend Margo sings
"The night they drove ole Dixie down..." Nice.
Such a funny post! Considering we are contemplating getting our first pet for the kids(fish) it was very timely! Thanks for the chuckle!
I thought of Buster as soon as I read about you cat freezing to death. Poor Buster...Yeah, I'm not a big pet person, go figure. I do like our dog though. I'm just not fond of other people's pets.
I do have to say that I am thankful to all pet owners, without them my husband would not have the job he does. And I wouldn't be able to spend his money. :)
Oh, no pets for me. I'm far too lazy and selfish.
I grew up without pets and wanted one so badly that I would go over to my friends' houses so I could play with their pets. My friends didn't think that was so fun.
This reminds me of the Squirrel episode on Seinfeld.
I really can relate to this post! We are a pet family and wouldn't have it any other way. But saddly, The cat does scare away all of Rob's family. I hope they don't take it personal, just take a benadryl and come on over! Rob has been cured of his Allergies! (Go figure!)
You forgot one thing - Pets entertain children and children entertain pets, especially if it is a dog. Need the kids out of hte house and the dog needs a walk? Hello...Add one plus one on that.
also if you have an extremely tolerant dog like I do, it is fun to watch your child chase the dog and slightly torment the dog because you just spent the whole morning vacuuming up pet hair and cleaning up spilled dog food and poop in the backyard. That really makes me a bad person.
Oh, I just remembered - want to talk about leverage with your kids.
"If you don't help me walk the dog or clean up the poop or clean up your room, we're getting rid of the dog!!!"
That was hilarious. I am a cat person. They take care of themselves for the most part. Except for the cat box, which my husband has taken care of ever since my first pregnancy 14 years ago!! We had a dog for about 2 years and I couldn't take it anymore. Listen, I've 4 kids, I don't need anything else to clean up poop after thank you very much.
And the comment about having a snake was like inviting Satan over to visit just about make me pee my pants!!
true to your word, I see....
Unfortunately, I haven't thought of any particularly clever to say...
I'll get back to you.
Lessons from a cat:
Variety is the spice of life. One day, ignore people; the next day, annoy them.
Always give generously; a bird or rodent left on the bed tells them, "I care"
Nap often
alright. it's not snarky but it is mildly appropriate.
I'd rather vote for Hilary than own a cat. (Paige might like that!) Cats are icky and they're snooty.
I despise pets. But I don't want my kids to fail first grade. Now I'm torn. But Buster confirms my original position.
It was Tiffany that had brain damage. Ashes ran away.
Also, it's totally true about the school/pet thing. My kids write about our bunnies ALL the time and while they may be annoying at times, it's worth it that they aren't the only ones at school without a pet. Celia taught me this. All should heed her advice.
I had no idea about pets as a writing topic resource. Now I have to find the most low-maintenance pet ever. Maybe a snail.
I am holding off on anything fuzzy until I want another baby and my husband says no. My neighbor has 2 bunnies, a kitten, a dog for this reason.
Pets make great babies when you are done having your own. They also grow up faster than real babies so the sleeping thru the night thing is over before you know it.
They follow you around all day and try to get your attention when the other children are around. They often sit on your lap while mommy is trying to blog which is why my spelling is so terubl.
Oh ya, some family members love them because they are great scape goats for toxic farts.
I'm thinking and thinking and I can't think of a funny comment. And this certainly isn't a post where I can comment with a shared experience. So I'm going to have to settle for the old stand-by:
Funny (or cute or creative or sweet) post!
That was too funny. I was actually laughing out loud while reading it. We have 2 outdoor cats (still alive after 3 years outdoors) and a Guide Dog puppy. Everything you said is all a little too familiar...
Celia, you are so creative. I love your blog! I've been very uncreative lately, thus no posts from me. :( I should start copying your blogging ideas, eh? Thanks for the smile that your writing always brings to my face!
P.S. A is doing great. I should write more about her, even if I can't post pics! I'll try...
Pets are kids that never grow up. Which to me sounds like a perfect nightmare. My kids pets come with bobble heads and are small enough to fit in their pockets. Love 'em.
This line is a gem: "When a child is trying to emote but is doing so unsuccessfully (yelling), suggest they practice with the pet."
It's going straight into my file of clever parenting tips.
So funny!
My cat ran away and I am scared to get a new one. I don't want to spend more money on a cat that will run away. Maybe my cat ran away because it was 15 degrees outside and it was cold. Maybe if I let it in the house it would stay. Too bad that will never happen as long as my husband is alive.
Gloria, Celia, you make me laugh.
Post a Comment