Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fauxmade Hair


Before
My friend "Gretchen" is naturally blonde. She has super fine baby hair and she does her best with it, but she has always wanted long hair. In the time that I've known her, she's tried to grow it out twice, but it never looks right and she ends up cutting it back into a bob. Although a bob does look great on her, it was time for a change. Her hairdresser talked her into getting hair extensions. I was fascinated.

Gretchen ordered her hair duing a styling appointment. It is real hair that is selected and matched according to original shade. Following her selection she purchased her faux locks and just about had a heart attack.

During
Gretchen returned to her stylist the following week and the faux hair was woven into her real hair. The faux hair is sewn onto a beige colored net. She has four pieces woven in and it took about an hour. I always thought that extensions were glued or clipped in, so we were both surprised at the batch method.

Doesn't it look fabulous? This is second day hair, even. Not freshly done or anything. She can wear it down or in a low pony and people keep remarking on how healthy and full her hair is. They can't tell. For the first couple of weeks she mostly wore it in a pony because she was self-conscious, but now she is embracing her new mane. Neigh. Gretchen is fulfilling a fantasy and looks terrific. Isn't technology wonderful?

My question is this: what vain imaginations do you have? What is your body image pining for? Tell me. Body dysmorphics need not apply.

36 comments:

D-dawg said...

Celia!! LOL! (I know you hate that) Gretchen's new hair is gorgeous and totally fooled me 100%. I am so happy for Gretchen and wish I could get extensions myself! Way to go Gretchen, you look awesome.

As for my body wishes... hmmm... I wish I wasn't butt-white. I wish my hair wasn't so thin. I wish my uterus would work. And I wish my lips were fuller.

Hillary said...

Great hair! I wish I had perky boobs! Just like the girl in surgery today! WOW!!!

kara jayne said...

I wish I had long dark eyelashes that curled up not down. I wish I had eyebrows that didn't need to be filled in. I wish I had a waist. Other than that I'll take what I got!

Bridget said...

That is awesome. That would be fun to have a new look.

I would love thighs that didn't touch each other other, a stomach that didn't appear 20 weeks pregnant, and coincidentally if I could donate half the thickness of my hair I would.

Michelle said...

wow! It really does look great! that is so fascinating! I wish I could justify a tummy tuck--assuming I could get over my hang up about pain, and maybe raise the elevation of my boobs. However I think for me that could be a slippery slope and I could end up looking like that freaky cat woman and want to fix everything!

Heather said...

I have one twanky ear that sticks out more than the other so my hair doesn't lay flat. I fantasize about getting it pinned back like most other ears so I wouldn't see it all the time.

Great. Now at blogapalooza everyone will be all -Hey look at freaky ear girl.

Jessica said...

Is that the Gretchen I think it is!? NO WAY!

I want skin that doesn't make stretch marks when I gain 2 lbs, or get wrinkly very early, or at least would get wrinkly without zits.

I have sucky skin.

Paige said...

Gretchen's hair is amazing. Paris and Britney should go to her girl because their extensions stink. I can't wait to see her in person! Even people will naturally long hair look great with extra, thick hair.

Black girls do it, why shouldn't we?

Besides the obvious, I would really like three more inches of height. I would also like to not get sick when I'm pregnant. Which I'm not.

Nortorious said...

Been there. Please view the adventures of the piece:
http://nortorious.blogspot.com/2007/07/adventures-of-piece.html

I would want gorgeous full long Gisele hair, without having to do it or dye it. I can't say I deserve anything at all since I'm lucky with other areas (not being preg sick, etc). Thank you.

Ellie said...

Does Gretchen know that her alias on your blog is a chubby girl name? Couldn't you have chosen Lisel?

I'd like to order a faster metabolism, please, with a side of curly fries.

Ashley said...

I'll take a new nose and smaller boobs. And I'm with Kara Jayne that a waist would be nice. Actually, I wanted everything everyone else mentioned when I read theirs. Give me the works.

Lauren in GA said...

Ellie's comment was awesome! I'll have that too, please...

I'd take a totally reconstructed chest...and have my breasts the same size for the first time in my life...and liposuction on every square inch of my body....and the fine lines that are all around my eyes snipped off and uh, let's see... a Brazilian Butt lift, please...

Oh, sorry...you said body dysmorphics need NOT apply...

Unknown said...

Truthfully - the one thing I've always wanted is a flat stomach. For some reason, even when I'm super thin and fit, I have a pooch. I've always hated it. I'm even willing to go the tummy tuck route to get that "flat stomach" someday. Now that I've had children and b/f'd all of them, I think I'll throw in a boob lift too.

Unknown said...

That is how vain I am.

Christie said...

I'm like Bridget - I'd like to get rid of half my hair. What I wouldn't give to blow dry my hair in under 20 minutes. I'd also like thighs without cellulite, but I still want to be able to eat everything in sight.

Her hair looks beautiful. Way to go!

♥Shally said...

My sis got extentions, and LOVES them.

For me... I wish that the saggy, wrinkly skin I got from gaining 85 pounds with my twins would STAY TUCKED IN MY PANTS!!

Sheesh. I am constantly tucking so it doesn't sag over my pants.

Is that really to much to ask??

martha corinna said...

I wish that I was born to breed like my mother and my sisters. According to Darwin I wasn't meant to pass on my DNA. But, the good news is I live in a time when I can be saved and pass all of my imperfect DNA on, awesome for me. Oh, and I wish I had the stomach I had before I started passing all of my sub par DNA to my posterity.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i thought gretchen was paige. are we not supposed to be guessing who it is?

heather, can't wait to see your ear.

i'm fairly lucky on the body thing. thick hair, no stretch marks, no cellulite, no boobs...

oh wait, no boobs. as in "bra size matches size indicator on penlight battery package."
i don't care enough to pursue surgery, but if the blog fairy were to wave her wand over this post...

Lisa-Marie said...

Do you think Sirri could get extensions? That poor girl.

I'd like fuller lips and new teeth.

AnnEE said...

I am getting a breast reduction/implants so they're not saggy for my 30th birthday. End of story. Peace out DDD's, see ya soon C's.

Paige said...

Gretchen ain't me. I wish.

Penny said...

I love the extensions and would Love to get them myself. With a side of tummy-tuck, boob job, teeth whitening and tan skin. And while we are at it, a TON of money to pay for all this. That's not asking too much is it?

Teresa said...

I'm with Shannan, I ALWAYS have a pooch, no matter what! And would love to take a knife to it! Then inject some of it into my lips. Can you do that? Not you, but a doc?
And to Kara Jayne...
My eyelashes fell out with my last pregnancy, so I got eyelash extensions. Loooooved them! Moved from Ca.to Va. and no one around here knows what the heck I'm talking about. It's not cheap, and requires maintainence, but what doesn't?

Jenibelle said...

I'd like to make an appointment for a total overhaul please. I do like my hair though, and I want to keep my little wrists and ankles.
Lots and lots of anesthesia please.

Also, I am available to donate fat for anyone who would like "natural" implants
for their boobs and butts. It would be my honor to do so.

Hazen5 said...

I want new teeth! I refused braces in high school, big mistake! And a Lower Half over haul. No matter how much I work out, I still have "junk in the trunk!"

Erin said...

Whiter teeth, a nice tan and highlights would be a nice place to start...

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is the sad sac contest. Keep drinking the kool-aid, ladies. Heaven forbid we might want to say anything nice about ourselves for a change.
LF

Sherine said...

I'm Shally's 'sis' and I really do love them... I got a different kind, and don't have problems wearing my hair up or down. I spent 8 years getting my hair only trimmed... no layers, no color nothin. Then one day I got a wild hair and got layers, highlights and the extensions!. The layers and the highlights didn't last(too much maintenence) but the extensions yes. I LOVE LOVE THEM! It was a real pick me up during my I look so gross pregnant self:)

crystal said...

Two glowingly healthy legs MINUS the roadmaps of spider veins would be nice.

Is that too much to ask?

Ashlee said...

Awesome hair! My sister thought about getting some, but gasped at the price tag. So, she didn't splurge.
I would love to get the "mom job" they talk about on Dr. 90210. I've only watched that show a couple of times on TLC, but would love to get my pre-baby mid section back. No sucking or anything, just tucked. :0) And lifted. Wouldn't that be so nice? Sigh...I can always dream.

Tristan said...

The hair looks great! As far as my own looks...loose weight...need perkier (is that a word?) boobs...and clearer skin. Never had these problems until I had kids! Why should our bodies go to pot just to bring life into the world? ;)

Jessica said...

Didn't LF see that we were describing the things we wanted to change, not the things we'd like to stay the same?

Do I post asking that, Celia, I'm not too humble to share the things I like about my body with LF.

Anonymous said...

I did see, Jessica. I just thought it was miserable.
Please do the opposite post, Celia.
LF

Ilene said...

LF must do a lot of yoga where the instructor is constantly telling you that you need to be happy with the body you have today, blah, blah, blah.

I never listen to that part of my yoga instruction. The only reason I am at yoga is because I am not happy with the way my body is today...

Things I would like to change... my tendency to be self-righteous and label women who who willingly share their self-perceived flaws in an effort to show that we ALL have them, as "miserable." Now, back to my self-pity and Kool-Aid.

Hollyween said...

I'll take new teeth like Heidi Klum's, Heidi Klum's body that goes right back to where it was after a baby, and Heidi Klum's hair. I like Heidi.

I hate my stretch marks. I want them gone, and a flat tummy. And right now I'd like my rashy skin to please go away and my eyebrows to be like oh, let's see, ummm.. Heidi Klum's.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

There's a million ways to do extensions.

Anyways. My body wants a boob lift, some lipo, and a tummy tuck. That is all.